I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed...

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #1  

memphis

Hello and I really enjoy reading all the great information on this site.

Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated.
I've done alot of internet research on tractors and "kicked the tires"
on a couple of brands.

What size and brand would you recommend?

I have 5 acres of grass to mow that is slighty hilly. I will also like to be able to trailer the tractor so i can plant food plots at the deer camp.
I have a half ton Ford F150. My must haves in a tractor are reliability and ease of use. Creature comforts are not a necessity for me right now. I'm fairly young and hard headed!

thanks again for a great site!

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #2  
memphis:

Welcome to TBN :D! Give us more information as to what else you envision using your tractor for in the near and long term. Will ground clearance become an issue at your hunting camp or mowing the 5A's, do you intend to do some serious dirt work, etc.? Right now it would appear that you need a larger SCUT or a small to midsize lightweight CUT if all you will be doing is mowing/brush hogging and some tilling. I would recommend a FEL and
4WD/MFWD. What tractors have you looked at and what do you think you need? With mowing and tilling you could go with a lighter weight and either a geared (cheaper) or HST (more expensive) transmission. My old Ford 1100 (13/11 HP) handled the tasks you mentionned quite well. Jay

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #3  
memphis said:

on a couple of brands.

I have 5 acres of grass to mow that is slighty hilly. I will also like to be able to trailer the tractor so i can plant food plots at the deer camp.
I have a half ton Ford F150. My must haves in a tractor are reliability and ease of use. Creature comforts are not a necessity for me right now. I'm fairly young and hard headed!

I have a 21-hp engine Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket). Bought it new in May05 for $12600 plus tax (10% down, 0% for 36 months). I have 10 acres of flat pasture land. Use the 7510 and a 4-ft wide KK brush hog to mow the weeds. Takes about 8 hours to cut 7-8 acres.

It weighs less than 2000 lb, so it's easily hauled with my F150 and a twin axle trailer on a standard receiver-type trailer hitch.

Attachments

• DSCF0209 (Medium).JPG
    DSCF0209 (Medium).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 233
   / I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed...
thanks for the feedback yall.

I think a front end loader would be a nice addition. I could use it to load firewood into instead of pulling a trailer behind the tractor.
I could also see myself pulling a trailer one day for hay rides and such with the kids. I have looked at mahindra and new holland.
I really liked the new holland except for the fiberglass fenders but that's just cosmetic.

my friend has an old ford 9n and he says it is rated at 29hp and it is plenty big for what I need but I would like a newer tractor because I don't have alot of time to work on it
Is their any translation in hp from old tractors to new tractors?

flusher, that looks perfect for food plots!

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #5  
memphis said:
thanks for the feedback yall.

I think a front end loader would be a nice addition. I could use it to load firewood into instead of pulling a trailer behind the tractor.
I could also see myself pulling a trailer one day for hay rides and such with the kids. I have looked at mahindra and new holland.
I really liked the new holland except for the fiberglass fenders but that's just cosmetic.

my friend has an old ford 9n and he says it is rated at 29hp and it is plenty big for what I need but I would like a newer tractor because I don't have alot of time to work on it
Is their any translation in hp from old tractors to new tractors?

flusher, that looks perfect for food plots!

HP is HP. But, you have to be aware that most of the time tractor folks are talking PTO hp, not engine hp. It's more important to match tractor pto hp to implement requirements than to specify engine hp.

The Ford 9N was introduced in 1939. The 2N was introduced in 1942 and in 1948 came the 8N. There are thousands of these old Fords still being used daily. Two of my neighbors have 8Ns. One uses his to mow his weeds with a brush hog. The older uses his to put in a hay crop on about 8 acres, pulling a 7 ft wide tandem disc to prepare the soil, then using a seeder. He hires the work done to cut, bale and stack the crop. The old Fords have gas engines, are easy to work on and run forever with proper maintenance. They usually sell for under $3K.

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #6  
memphis said:

on a couple of brands.

Take a look at a Deere 790 with FEL. It's a fairly light tractor for the horsepower which has both advantages (in your case, for trailering to another location) and disadvantages (runs out of traction, so a plow for those food plots may not work as well as a tiller).
It's also relatively inexpensive and the design has been around for a long time. Personally, I consider this one the "9n" of the new tractors. I'd even look at a low hour (100 hours) machine.

As far as mowing, I use a 60" RFM. I could use a 72" unit if I wanted to spend the money.

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #7  
The choices out there will boggle your mind.:D

Best look around at local dealers and sit on plenty of seats. Think about transmission type, accessories and possible future needs.

At the same time look at trailers that are compatible with the tow vehicle and the load that needs to be hauled.

Above all take your time till you find one that just seems to fit on you and you keep coming back to look!

Shopping's fun!!:D :D :D

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed...
RoyJackson said:
Take a look at a Deere 790 with FEL. It's a fairly light tractor for the horsepower which has both advantages (in your case, for trailering to another location) and disadvantages (runs out of traction, so a plow for those food plots may not work as well as a tiller).
It's also relatively inexpensive and the design has been around for a long time. Personally, I consider this one the "9n" of the new tractors. I'd even look at a low hour (100 hours) machine.

As far as mowing, I use a 60" RFM. I could use a 72" unit if I wanted to spend the money.

My friend with the 9N is going to sell me a 60" Challenger finish mower that I will be using to cut grass. I had planned on buying a 72". It's good to know that the Deere 790 will pull the 72" finish mower.

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #9  
I think my Mahindra 2615 4WD would be perfect for your intended uses, but I'm a bit biased. :D You'll be able to find many choices that will work. If you go new rather than used (sounds like you may be leaning that way wanting dependability and not having to turn a wrench too much), find a dealer (or three) that you're comfortable with, discuss your intended uses, and test drive LOTS of tractors.

As for towing... My 2615 4WD weighs in at 2315# without the loader attached. So, with the loader and an implement on back, you're likely looking at well over 3000#. That should tow fine on a dual axle (I'm assuming 7000# pound rating; 3500# per axle) trailer. Unfortunately, I can't speak from experience. I've never trailered it. Luckily, my hunting camp is in my and my dad's back yard, so I can drive to all my food plots.

Good luck with your search,

BR

/ I enjoy the site so I thought I'd start a thread, advice needed... #10  
I've had my 9N for nearly 20 years and abused it greatly clearing and shaping my 6 acres. I've replaced a few batteries, battery cables, one tire tube, three sets of points & plugs etc, a coil, gas tank shut off with glass globe and a new starter ring and starter. They are tuff ol' mules and can be worked on easily with cheap parts. By far a good 8N or 9N one is your best bet for the dollar. I have towed mine with a 1/2 ton and single axel trailer with a bush hog attatched many times.
If you want a FEL and new equipment then the Mahindra 2615 as stated above would be my choice for your situation too. I have a 3215 HST and it it's a solid performing tractor and a super value. It does things that the ol' Ford and 1930's technology could only dream of. When I was younger the old Ford used to help me get things done. Now I help my Mahindra get things done.