Do I want a Massey

/ Do I want a Massey #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I don't here much talk about Massey Ferguson tractors. My local Massey dealer thinks I should consider his MF1240, 32 hp Hydro. $18,500 with loader and turfs. I have looked at NH TC33D, Kubota L3010, Deere 4300. Why don't I hear more about Massey? How are they for resale, reliability, etc?

/ Do I want a Massey #2  
Mrwurm,

I looked at Masseys when I was tractor shopping. They had a few compacts that I was quite interested in. They had good specs, good reliability records (according to the dealer) and were comfortable. Unfortunately they were very expensive for the tractor. The $$ ended up ruling them out for me very early in the buying process.

Kevin

/ Do I want a Massey
Thanks Kevin. The Massey is running about $700 higher than the New Holland or Kubota. I was wondering if there is anything to merit the higher price. They don't seem to be too popular.

/ Do I want a Massey #4  
I have a MF 1250 tractor. I can’t say enough good about this tractor. I bought it to work and it has done a fine job. In Sept 99 I paid $17300 for it and a MF 1246 loader. I said I work it and I do, I have put over 900 hours on it. These hours have not been just puttering around either. I brush hog, blade, plow, spray, dig with a MF 1217 backhoe and use the loader almost everyday.I wouldn't think twice about buying the same tractor again.
JerryG

/ Do I want a Massey #5  
In today's marketplace there is probably not a bad tractor made. The Big 3 all have better resale value, better dealer network, and better parts availability. I would have to save at least $2000 on a non Big 3 tractor of the same comparable size before I would consider purchasing one of the other brands.

/ Do I want a Massey
Could'nt of said it better myself. When I inquired about the Massey, I expected it to come in cheaper than the others, but it did'nt. As a matter of fact, I priced out the wrong machine (just realized). I got a price on the MF1240 thinking it was the 32hp machine. OOPS, its the 28 hp machine. I should have priced a MF1250 (32hp). That means theres going to be an even larger difference between the Massey and the NH and Kubota.

/ Do I want a Massey #7  
Do yourself a favor and take a look at the Agco 'ST' series, specifically the ST35. Same tractor as the 1250.

Before I found a bargain on a used Massey I looked at the ST35 and got a quote of 16.5K with PowerShuttle tranny, R-4 tires and a BushHog loader.

Try these dealers and see if you can't get a quote that's a little more in the ballpark:

NORTH CENTER FARM SUPPLY
75075 NORTH ROAD
ARMADA, MI 48005-2728
810-784-5331

DICK COULTER, INC.
6672 LAKE PLEASANT ROAD
NORTH BRANCH, MI 48461-8973
810-688-3082

WILDER FARM EQUIP LTD
RR #1
284 E. PIKE CREEK ROAD
TECUMSEH, ON N8N2L9
519-979-3800

If you just like the red paint job you could always have them ship <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wctractor.com/mark's_bargain_center.htm>this one</A> to you.

good luck on your hunt.

/ Do I want a Massey
Charlie, thanks for the link. That's allot of tractors to look at. Also, your choice of local dealers was right on the mark.

/ Do I want a Massey #9  
It always amazes me how the market is different in different areas. When I bought my MF it was $1000-$2000 less than similar Kub, NH, or JD. But I still think that I got more tractor for my money.

/ Do I want a Massey #10  
Stop in at North Center and talk with Pat. I grew up in Armada and my dad bought a few tractors from him over the years. He's still a new-commer to the area, he's only been there a little over 30 years.