First Tractor. Deere 3720???

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #1  

metroski

I just purchased a small farm in New Jersey. The property is just under 20 acres and is roughly 10 acres of pasture. The pastures are massively overgrown and need a lot of work. My intention is to convert this to horses.

I was thinking that I need a wide cut mower, mid PTO preferable, a loader, brush hog and a post hole auger (help with the 3000 feet of fencing I need to install).

Is a JD 3720 the right machine? Should I go for the extra $$ on the cab option?

Any idea on what i should expect to pay with the aforementioned attachments.

This is my first tractor. I own a 700cc ATV but i was thinking the tractor as a more viable option for a horse farm.

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks
Mike

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #2  
metroski:

Welcome to TBN :D! I would caution you about MMM's in your pasture land; they can seriously compromise your ground clearance especially if your ground has obstacles and is uneven. A rear finish mower if you even need it will give you greater cutting height range and is easier to attach and detach. Jay

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #3  
I wasn't entirely sure I'd like my 3pt finish mower (Frontier 72" side discharge), but after having used it a small handful of times thus far, I'm happy with the cut quality, and the fact that I don't have to compromise ground clearance with a belly mower, or remove it when I want to drive on uneven ground or in my woods.

I can't tell you whether the 3720 is the right choice for you, but I definitely like my 3520. I brush cut about 3-4 acres, finish mow about 2.5 acres, and the rest of my 20 acres is wooded. Always seem to find some sort of a task to use the loader with.

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #4  
After a good solid year of brush hogging, then you can start thinking about finish mowers. The ground clearance on the MMM is restrictive that you'll find yourself swapping it on/off more than it's worth (at least that's what I watch my neighbor doing out my window).

Unless you have a specific space requirement you are worried about, it would make a lot of sense to step up to the 4120. You'll get more lift capacity on your 3-point and front loader. I'm learning pretty quickly that being able to lift a few hundred pounds extra is a big deal when moving big hay bales.

The 4120 is a tuned-down 4720 with identical hydraulic power with the benefit of the de-tuned engine which should give you a lot longer life span. The 3720 is a jacked-up machine (and I'm sure a fine one) which is using a lot of turbo to create the HP. I think the larger tractor would give you a longer and better experience.

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #5  
I'm getting ready to buy a 4720 sometime this summer and I am gonna get the cab for a number of reasons. number one is it is hot and humid here in Virginia and nothing beats staying out of the heat and dust. I don't know what your summers are like up there, but if it isn't too hot or humid skip the cab.
Like the others said, rear mowers are the way to go.

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720???
Hmm, thanks for some of the good points. I hear the MMM concerns. My main use for the MMM was not to deal with the pastures but to cut to 1 1/2 or so acres of grass around the house. I would use the rotary mower to deal with the fields. But maybe I'm better off with a zero turn or maybe even a self powered finish mower that I can drag behind my atv for the lawn care. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the clearance issues and such related to the MMM unit. I can also save the $350 or so for the Mid PTO option required for the MMM.

I really need the rotary, loader and auger.

I also hadn't considered a 4000 series because I figured it was slightly less nimble because of the increased size. But I only needed the nimbleness if I was going to finish mow the grass with the tractor.

Only problem now is that I will have a hard time buying the low end of any series. If I go 4000 series it will probably be a 4720. If I do that do I violate the principle of going from 3720 to 4110 in the first place?

Thanks
Mike

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #7  
With that much fence to build, thats alot of hole to drill, drop post, fill and tamp tight. I would seriously look at a post driver. Its faster and will get you tighter posts. My brother picked one up at an auction (8") for $125. Functioned fine, just had to make mounts. Has made custom mounts for the FRONT of the AC 175 and a JD 2840, also has a 3pt mount made for it so he can use it on his little JD (4310).

DuaneW.

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #8  
First question - any "big" tasks that the tractor must be capable of? Are round bales or running your own baler in the future? You didn't mention either, but if either one is you would need to go bigger than a 3720.

Second - do you want this to be your finish mower also? A 3720 would be on the large range but not out of the question for mowing your lawn. Anything bigger is probably too big for a lawn.

Third - are you planning to do wood posts everywhere? Are metal t-posts an option? They are sooooo much easier to put in and work with, and will probably last 4 times as long, but they do look different.

If you are not planning on round bales, doing your own baling, or serious tillage, I think the 3x20 series would be fine, with a 5 or 6' brushhog to start with. The cab is optional but would definitely be really nice to have when it's hot and nasty out, or if you want to mow after dark without bugs eating you alive. I guess if you want the cab I would go 3720 and if no cab I would consider a 4120, which is going to be around the same price as an open 3720. I would skip the MMM and mid PTO and either use a RFM or save the bucks and get a riding mower for the 1 acre around the house. I have a similar 20 acre setup and we use a riding mower for 1-2 acres and the brushhog for anything else.

metroski said:
The pastures are massively overgrown and need a lot of work. My intention is to convert this to horses.

Well, hate to break this to you, but you can't directly turn pasture into horses. You have to have little horses, and they turn pasture into larger horses.

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #9  
Z-Michigan said:
Well, hate to break this to you, but you can't directly turn pasture into horses. You have to have little horses, and they turn pasture into larger horses.

good one
:p

I just wanted to add that you can install a mid PTO later, you don't have to get the tractor with it. If you elected later to get a MMM, you could always go that route.

/ First Tractor. Deere 3720??? #10  
Greyfields said:
good one
:p

I just wanted to add that you can install a mid PTO later, you don't have to get the tractor with it. If you elected later to get a MMM, you could always go that route.

Yep, if it's a dealer installed option.
That's not applicable on all tractors.