Cabs are for wimps

/ Cabs are for wimps #21  
Generally speaking I can't disagree with you much but I have noticed it's harder to handle the weather outside either hot or cold if your sitting in a nice environment like a cab. I think the seat time helps you acclimate to the weather either good or bad.
Still 100 degree heat or zero degree weather isn't something we should be in for too long anyway.

/ Cabs are for wimps #22  
My next tractor will have a factory cab... I don't have a dog house and might need some place to stay when the wife sends me to the dog house for the night!

mark

/ Cabs are for wimps #23  
mjarrels said:
My next tractor will have a factory cab... I don't have a dog house and might need some place to stay when the wife sends me to the dog house for the night!

mark

Here, I'll save you some trouble. Even if you get a dog house, the dogs will not share.

I think my SO bribed them or something, but it is forbidden turf according to the dogs, their place is their place. I understand that now.....

-Mike Z.

/ Cabs are for wimps #24  
I don't have my tractor yet, and I'd love to buy one with a cab, but too many trees precludes that option. What I intend to do is get a canopy, and then make some netting that attaches with velcro to the canopy and secures on the fenders, to cut down on the bugs and grass when cutting, but can roll up and be out of the way when necessary. Sort of like the soft top on my Jeep. The little fan is an outstanding idea.

/ Cabs are for wimps #25  
I remember a web site for a company in Windsor, Colorado that is north of me that made swamp coolers for construction and farm equipment. I can't find the link so they may be out of business now, nor do I recall their name.

A swamp cooler for a tractor would have minimal HP impact; but would require some sort of water reservoir. Plus swampers are worthless in humid climates; but work in dry climates like where I live. Personally I prefer AC for houses as swamp coolers make the place muggy, and the same would happen with a tractor.

Anyway a swamp cooler is an interesting concept for cooling a tractor cab.

An issue of Farm Show magazine had an article on a guy with an old White tractor that kept going through AC compressors. Getting the parts and the cost was getting prohibitive, so he rigged up a small window AC unit for a house that was powered by a DC/AC inverter. Obviously his White tractor was big enough and had enough alternator capacity to do such a work around.

/ Cabs are for wimps #26  
My factory cab protects me from pesticide drift, insects,sunlight and the elements. After having this cab, i couldn't go back to a non cab machine. I would like to have both, but its not in the budget right now. It would be nice to have an open station machine for those perfect weather days, i think we get about 3 a year here! :D

/ Cabs are for wimps #27  
I love my heated cab and on the warm days I can take off both doors and enjoy the weather. The sense of security is a great feeling, that and the heat in the winter. :D

Warm Days

Cold Days

/ Cabs are for wimps #28  
My cab just saved my butt yesterday. I was digging a crawlspace behind a customers house. There was an old discontinued black plastic well line buried in the ground. I got ahold of it while I was raising the backhoe it swung around and slapped the side of the cab. It it hit me, it would have really hurt, maybe broken bones.

Cabs aren't just to create comfort, they also create safety.

/ Cabs are for wimps #29  
when my old massey ferguson 65 finally got to where it was going to need some major engine work I started looking at new tractors. I talked to my wife about it and she told me she wanted me to get a cab on it. I used the arguements I have been reading here. Basically cabs are for wimps and real men do not use them. Her reply was that I brushhog our 25 acres and I am very alergic to wasps. She was worried that one day I would be brushhogging and I would run over a yellow jacket nest and she would come home and find me on the tractor dead. She told me she had no objections at all to me buying a new play toy but that it had to have a cab. Only to appease her and not have to argue I bought my new montana with a cab. It was the best arguement I have ever lost. It is so much fun to play with that the first 6 months I had it I would have to set myself a time limit on how long I could work with it because I had other stuff that was not getting done.

/ Cabs are for wimps #30  
Dmace said:
I love my heated cab and on the warm days I can take off both doors and enjoy the weather. The sense of security is a great feeling, that and the heat in the winter. :D

Warm Days

Cold Days

BRRR! I could have used that heated cab this past winter! A quick question, doesn't your neck and back get stiff from blowing snow in reverse? I know mine would.