First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ?

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #1  

dirtyb115

Bronze Member
Hi all, i have been doing lots and lots of reading, this is a great forum. Well i finally purchased a small piece of acreage in ohio. (9 acres or so).
It is all wooded, with a considerable amount of under brush in certain spots. The trees range in size all the way up to around 24", although i would say the average is 12" or less. Anyways, i would like to attempt clearing about 3/4 of an acre for my house/yard, and also attempt grading for the long gravel driveway. Most will be level ground, but i will have some area i need to clear that is on about a 20-25% grade. So i guess my question is this. Is there anything i can buy used for 5-10k that will be able to dig out stumps,
clear brush, and do some light grading. I thought maybe a used bobcat would be the best solution for the money, but someone said a compact tractor with a backhoe would be better. what are all of your thoughts? (Time is not an issue, im in no hurry to build.) I also have never used anything larger than a riding lawn mower ;) so im sure ill be on here constantly getting advice on my project. Thanks!

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #2  
dirtyb115 said:
I thought maybe a used bobcat would be the best solution for the money, but someone said a compact tractor with a backhoe would be better.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

I may be a bit biased but I'd have to agree with your "someone". Most here have their brand favorite. Also, most here are more than willing to spend your money. But to be perfectly honest, you're going to be hard pressed to find something with a backhoe for the price range you're talking about. For digging out stumps, a backhoe can't be beat. If you're definately planning on digging out stumps I wouldn't even think of getting something that doesn't have a backhoe. There are many machines from multiple brands of various sizes that could get the job done. A small machine can usually do a lot of what the bigger machines can but take much longer. Heck, you could probably do a lot of what you're talking about doing with a shovel, a landscape rake, and a saw. But that would probably take decades!! You need to find a happy medium between something that is so small it is going to frustrate the crap out of you versus something that is so big it is going to break the bank. With your budget a cab is out. With your limited experience with tractors you probably want a HST. Of course, I bought my first tractor with a manual shift transmission and love it. But I'm in the weird minority. I'm thinking something like about 30hp. With that small of horsepower doing that much ground engaging activities I'd say get 4WD. Especially with a 25% grade. Hmmm, I take that back, definately get 4WD. Do you plan to do any mowing and/or brush cutting with your machine? The first thing that popped into my mind was the Kubota B-series. You wouldn't be able to afford the B2630 or B3030. I would SERIOUSLY look at the Kubota B7800 if it were me. In fact, I would GET the Kubota B7800 for such use. There was a really good thread a while back on such a tractor purchase for identical uses on a similar sized piece of land by Taiser. You could do a search and maybe consider sending him a PM. Of course his land is not as wooded. Good luck, and keep us posted!!

There, I got the ball rolling. Now let's spend some money!!:D

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #3  
dirtyb115:

Welcome to TBN :D! The $5 - 10K budget does put some constraints as to what you can get :( which means you have to look at used tractors, but if you are patient the "right" tractor will appear. I agree with Glowplug, but I am not particular as to tractor color. Good luck in your research and pending acquisition (if all goes well :)). Jay

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #4  
Start looking for a 15-20 year old tractor-loader-backhoe (called TLB). I would suggest a ford 555. BUT if you buy used, get a pro to check it out - and I don't mean your wife's second cousin three times removed's old girlfriends uncle either.

Or, pay a guy with a D6 a couple grand to clean it out - then buy a smaller tractor.

If you do go used - read up at Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters to get the skinny on the old iron.

jb

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #5  
10k, IMO buys nothing but a headache. Realistically, you are looking at 15k-20k minimum for anything decent. I have a Bobcat 763 skidsteer which is great for bucket work but useless for digging stumps. A cut w/fel and bh is the way to go.

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #6  
"Or, pay a guy with a D6 a couple grand to clean it out - then buy a smaller tractor."- JB

Another option to consider :)- Jay

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ?
Thanks for all the replies, glad i didnt buy a bobcat :).
Seems pretty much most our in a agreement that 10k isnt going to buy anything worth much. Guess i wont say i started looking in the 3-5k range haha. I thought about having someone come in and clear it, i just enjoy learning how to do things on my own.. Dont get me wrong, if what i want to do is not feasible then i will most definitely have someone with the right equipment clear it out.
Well looks like i have even more research to do, so ill keep you posted on what i decide. Thanks again for all the advice already!

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #8  
I've actually owned them all and recently sold my Bobcat S250. I would do what was mentioned above, pay someone with a dozer or track hoe and clear the trees out. With the track hoe they can knock trees and stumps down whole. Which means less mess and cleanup. Then bring in your tractor and smooth up.

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #9  
One very viable option WOULD be to save the few thousand dollars that a backhoe would cost ya and just hire someone with a big excavator to clear the trees. You could then take your sweet time levelling the area with your tractor and boxblade. That's actually a very appealling idea. I haven't done a lot of it, but from previous posts here stump-digging is real work.

Check out this thread on "Landscaping Tasks. . .". It is quite long and I'm sure you will find much pertinent information. Good luck.

/ First post :), CUT, bobcat, or mini backhoe ? #10  
For digging, heavier is better. For that reason, there are better choices than the 7800. It's pretty light. I would look for a TYM 330, Mahindra 2815, or Kioti CK series. All heavier and better suited for digging for similar money. I bought a brand new Kioti CK25, 62" bucket with digging bar, Rhino 7.5' bachhoe, 7' back blade, loaded tires, brush guard, and 12" phd for $20K last year. If you can find one lightly used, you might get into one for around $15K or so.