John Deere 870 questions

/ John Deere 870 questions #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
I found a JD 870, 28hp, 4X4, turfs, 425 hrs, 1994 model, 440 loader, $13,500. I had the dealer (John Deere) check the serial numbers and it checks out good. No surprises in repair history, one owner, etc. This machine has not been repainted and it is so clean it only looks like it is about 6 months old. The dealer is coming out on monday to appraise my trade-in. Any thoughts or comments on this tractor or price?

Also, the 440 loader is the quick attach type with quick attach bucket. I can't find specs on this loader. I have specs on a JD 430 loader. Does anyone have specs or know how these two loaders compare?

Thanks, as always.
jerry

/ John Deere 870 questions #2  
Jerry,

I'll pass this along for now but I'm sure John Miller will sniff this post out and be able to provide the necessary photos that will give you the info you are looking for. A breakdown of the specs for the 440 loader on an 870 can be found on page 75-2 of the JD operators manual #OMW44193-K7. Some basic specs noted are:

Lift capacity to Full Height 920 lbs.
Max lift height (bucket curled)93.7 in.
Max lift height (bucket flat) 87.2 in.
Digging depth 7.9 in.
Bucket roll back angle at ground 22 degrees

Again, the picture on page 75-2 would help explain these specs.

Russ

/ John Deere 870 questions #3  
I think you'll find the 870 to be a fine tractor.
One thing you do want to know is if the clutch (assuming this is a gear tractor) is single stage or dual stage. (depressing the clutch in a single stage stops the PTO as well as the tractor, a dual stage clutch stops the tractor if you push it ½ way down...pushing the clutch all the way down stops the PTO too).
My 670 has a single stage...that's the only thing I wish was different on my machine.

/ John Deere 870 questions
Roy, thanks for your input. The dealer gave me original product literature that he had saved from a few years back. The dealer says that it has a dual stage clutch and the brochure confirms that 870's with MFWD had a dual stage clutch.
Jerry

/ John Deere 870 questions #5  
If you are going to spend that much, my advice would be to put an extra $3-4K in and get a brand new machine. A new 4200 with HST 4wd and FEL would only be about $18K.

/ John Deere 870 questions #6  
buying new is not bad advice, I bought new, but an 870 with 440 loader is comparable to a 4300 with 430 loader, so we just crossed over $20,000.

I have come full circle several times on the issue of buying new or used. I have priced many new tractors and have come close to laying down the cash. One benefit that really appeals to me is the fact that a used tractor in fairly new condition has already experienced the initial drop in resale once it left the 'new tractor' lot. If I buy a used tractor today for a fair price, the odds are pretty good that I could resell it next year (you never know) for about the same price. You cannot do this with a new machine. Also, I would need about $5,000 more to get a 4300 or NHTC33D or L3010. That extra cost just puts me out of the market altogheter. All comments are welcome.
Jerry

Well, the dealer came out on Monday and we agreed on a price for my trade-in. The dealer had initially told me he could finance this tractor "like new". I assumed that this meant that I would get low rate terms (5.9%) just like a new one. Now the dealer does not remember telling me that "he could finance it like new." He is now offering 10.9% financing. The funny thing is... this is the second time a dealer has pulled this financing trick on me. Do they learn this in some sort of 'sales school'??? I'm about ready to give up and move to the city.

/ John Deere 870 questions #9  
Mrwurm, I have just gone through a similar buying experience and am wondering if I did the right thing. I was looking at new Kubota L3010 w/FEL & BH. I ended up with a NH 1920 w/FEL & subframe mount BH with 72 hours on it. I ended up paying cash because of the outrageous interest rates on used equipment.(Here they would only do a personal loan at 11% for 3 years, 15,000 max) In hindsight I could have financed the Kubota for 5 years at 5.9% and had new tractor warranty 2years tractor, 3 years drivetrain. I saved approx. 7-8000 and got a little bigger tractor but gave up HST trans and tires of my choice. Dealer quoted 2000-2500 for ag or R-4 tires and wheels. (1920 came with turfs). By financing I would have been able to get other attatchments, either in the deal or paying cash for them. I am happy with the performance of the 1920 but still wonder if I did the right thing. Just another point of view.

Billfires

Billfires, sounds like you would need an accounting degree to figure out if you did the right thing or not. I think you made a good choice in the tractor you choose. My neighbor has a 1920 with the frame mounted backhoe and that rig is rock solid. A few years ago I needed to trench about 100 feet to my barn for an electrical line. He was beside himself with anticipation at the chance to do this job for me. I told him that I was going to put the line in conduit and he only needed to dig down twelve inches. Two days of digging later, I had a hundred foot trench five feet deep. Oh well, he had a good time.
Jerry