John Deere 4200, etc.

/ John Deere 4200, etc. #1  

jjkaminski

I am brand new to tractors and tractor buying. How much should I spend for a used, 18 month old JD 4200, (200 engine hours), with post hole digger, backhoe, front loader, ballast box, brush mower, leaf blower and york rake. The guy is asking $27,000. Is this high low or just right.
Thanks, Joe.

/ John Deere 4200, etc. #2  
Sounds like a good package to me. However, it depends on the condition of the several items in this package. If new when the 4200 was new, its good. If not new then, but in good condition (taken care of, no busted parts, good paint, clean, well greased), then it sounds like a good package. If this package is what you can use, and what you want, then you will be the one who has to decide if you can be happy with this package. If there are things in this package you don't think you can use, then possibly selling them is an option. If it is a dealer (doesn't sound like it, as they would likely part this package out), then you will likely have some recourse if something is not quite right. If not a dealer, then you will likely be taking the risk that all is in good order, and something obscure isn't broken.
If it would sell to someone else tomorrow, could you live without it? Could you find a comparable package easily at that price? Have you priced a new 4210 with new attachments, and compared the difference?

/ John Deere 4200, etc. #3  
I think that's way too high but I hope that's what things are going for. My 4600 is less than 2 years old, 300 plus hours, loader, pallet forks, backhoe, etc. and I'm selling it for alot less than $27k.

/ John Deere 4200, etc. #4  
The price seems very high. Last spring I priced a 4200 HST 4WD with Backhoe and FEL for under $23,000. Brand New. Even with the attachments, thats high!!! I ended up getting a 4300 because I wanted the larger backhoe. I paid $25,000 for the 4300 4WD HST, with 430 loader and 48 backhoe.

/ John Deere 4200, etc. #5  
Definitely too high on the price. You should be able to get a brand new one, for probably less than he is asking.