Want hydro, etc, need help.

/ Want hydro, etc, need help. #1  

familyman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
I recently switched to a Woods BH80-X backhoe to my L2800, and the hoe works just fine. I hoped I'd be satisfied with just that change, but I'm not. HST would be a huge improvement for the dirt work I do, a stronger FEL would be great and an independent PTO would make mowing and other work a lot easier. When I bought this Kubota, it seemed like I'd never outgrow it, but I have. It is a tough, well made machine, and if I had a lot of continuous ground engagement work there would be no issue, but I feel compelled to make a change. However, college bills are coming in, another family car's been bought, and I'm reluctant to spend 8-10 grand to move up to something like a 3540 or a DK45. Maybe this upgrade is just not an option for me now, but I thought I'd toss this out there before I gave up.
BTW, I've started doing side work on the weekends: dug a 60' roof drain trench; mowed an overgrown property (to keep the owner from getting fined); graded a new backyard for drainage. Hopefully the workload will grow.

/ Want hydro, etc, need help. #2  
You answered your own question...the funds aren't there.
Although you think HST is now required...it's not. You've just got to work with your equipment, or accrue a lot more debt.
If you plan on doing more commercial work with your tractor...well, that's a different story. Then those few seconds you save with HST may make a difference. Since you're a contractor by profession, maybe you can move up by financing through the business.

Why do you think you need HST now that you have a backhoe? It would seem HST would have made more difference using the loader, yet you bought the tractor/FEL with a gear transmission. I'm basing that opinion upon a year of operating a backhoe for a plumbing company. That was a gear driven Ford, BTW (late 60's)

Since you really want to do this...I guess you're going to see what the actual costs are going to be...

/ Want hydro, etc, need help. #3  
Bump on what Roy said. :)

It sounds like your starting to use the tractor for more business work. Let your current tractor make you the money to buy a new one. Your current machine may be a little slower to operate but you have to start somewhere. You could also shop around for a lightly used HST unit. It would be a lot cheaper than a sparkling new one.

/ Want hydro, etc, need help.
Aside from the outside work, and adding drainage to my foundation, I have to reshape a portion of my own yard (about an 2/3 acre) where water flow is a problem. During winter and spring, and whenever rain is abundant, surface and subsurface water flow turns a low area into a wet mess, and my septic leach field is right in it. Effluent rises to the surface adding to the appearance and appeal. When there's been little rain, like right now, all is dry and nice, with a very pretty lawn and no sign of effluent or other water. The entire area has pitch, but the water is visibly coming down from higher elevations and surrounding properties. My intention is two-fold; switch the high and low areas (which run downhill parallel to each other) by regrading, and add a curtain drain further back (higher up). This really is work for a site contractor but financing that rather defeats the main point of owning the tractor. Performing the work, as I see it, means loosening soil with the backhoe and moving it with the loader, and finishing with the boxblade. I estimate the time required for me (and this tractor) to do this to be at least a week, almost certainly more. That's a lot of shifting with this straight gear, non synchronized trans.
This is not an argument, just facts. I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this machine change with the least expense, which is not to suggest no expense.

Roy, when I bought the L2800 I had no idea of what I needed and sought the advice of the dealer. I looked at a BX23, the dealer pointed to the L2800 and said it would be better. He wasn't wrong....

DieselPower, buying used is an option, and I'm looking at a larger, used hydro tractor right now. If I can work a deal, it may happen, but there are brands out there offering great financing and maybe other incentives too. I thought I might hear from someone who knew of a great deal to be had on a unit or a model line. 0% financing can tilt the scales too.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts.