12 acres tractor sizing

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #1  

JLudwig

Hello everyone, the forums here are very helpful. I've just moved onto a property with 12 acres, 3 or so wooded, 3 manicure cut, and the rest overrun with brush (mostly multiflora rose, honeysuckle and sumac trees). The fields are in pretty bad shape, some of the rose bushes are 8-10 ft tall. I can't even get to my property lines in some locations. I am interested in keeping the fields clear and am confused as to what size tractor I would need to accomplish this.

Of the 4 local dealers, 2 suggested a 30-35hp tractor would suffice, while the other two suggested 45hp would be needed to spin a decent medium duty rotary mower that could handle the brush I have - that is, the light duty 1" rotary cutter the smaller tractors can power would choke on the stuff. Two of my hobby farming friends also think the larger tractor would be better, but it seems a little overkill to me for only 12 acres?

If I choose a smaller tractor, the Kubota B7800/B3030 looks good, for the larger I was considering a JD3720 or a Kubota L4400/L4240. My local green and orange colored dealers seemed to be the best, so I'd like to stick with those.

Thanks!
Jeff

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #2  
35 HP John Deere is rated for the MX-5 which pretty easily handles 2 inch brush. I haven't met the MFR I can't eliminate in under a minute with mine.

3520 or 3720 ought to handle your needs well. I looked at trading up to a 4320 but it just isn't as maneuverable as the somewhat smaller frame tractor.

Significantly more money, too.

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #3  
welkom4.gif

TO THE SITE JEFF

You will find some very informed people on this site. I have a 40 hp John deere with plenty of power

Last edited:
   / 12 acres tractor sizing #4  
Mornin JLudwig,
Welcome to TBN ! I have about the same sized property as you actually just slightly less and use a 32hp Massey CUT to maintain it. I would not suggest anything smaller than that, most of my property is open so a large portion of what I do with the tractor is rough mowing, along with maintaining 800 ft of driveway. If I had the money to get another tractor I would get something in the 40hp range, and at some point in time I probablly will. That size tractor will have the HP that you need and still be small enough to get in most spots that you need to ! IMO ;) Im sure others will have additional advice !

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #5  
scott_vt said:
Mornin JLudwig,
Welcome to TBN ! I have about the same sized property as you actually just slightly less and use a 32hp Massey CUT to maintain it. I would not suggest anything smaller than that, most of my property is open so a large portion of what I do with the tractor is rough mowing, along with maintaining 800 ft of driveway. If I had the money to get another tractor I would get something in the 40hp range, and at some point in time I probablly will. That size tractor will have the HP that you need and still be small enough to get in most spots that you need to ! IMO ;) Im sure others will have additional advice !
Thats my feelings too Scotty, I also have ~13 Ac and a MF 28 hp tractor, which is really great for most everything, except brush hogging heavy grass where another 15hp would be nice. A solution I'm considering is to keep the little MF and just buy an older used 2 WD tractor to use just for the heavy mowing, those can be found pretty cheap around here because most people want CUTS. I think that combo would be cheaper than buying a new 35hp machine and still leaves me with the smaller. more nimble 28 hp tractor.

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #6  
I sized my B7800 for 5 acres of woods, 4 acres of brush and 1 acre of lawn.

It was nimble small enough to get into and out of the woods for trails and firewood.

It was powerfull enough to pull a 6 foot woods medium duty brushcutter and a 7 foot rear finishing mower. After two years the brushcutter sat and the rear mower took over the rest of the work with the "lawn".

The B now sees lawn duty only on a 57 acre parcel. But with a brushcutter because I let my pastures get high.

A very good machine for that sized lot, your acres. I am sure it will exceed your expectations should you decide to purchase.

Welcome to TBN and do some searching on B7800's in the Kubota section. I am sure others have positive reviews on the machine to use match.

-Mike Z.

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #7  
I have a 30 HP tractor for 16 heavily wooded acres with lots of brush and dead fall. I run a 5' bush hog with no trouble knocking down some pretty nasty stuff.

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #8  
Jeff ... here are my considerations for you. A B7800/B3030 will do the job with ease. So will the larger tractors. Here's the ultimate decision maker:

1. Larger Machine: the higher cost will yield your chores get down in less time.

2. The B Series or equivalent will STILL do the job VERY efficiently, plus you wil be able to get a BACKHOE! or OTHER toys you'd like with the cost differential.

Suffer - man Suffer ...

My dos centavos.

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #9  
From the description of your place and your needs, I think the recomendations you've gotten from several dealers makes sence. IMO you want to size your purchase for what most of your intended chores calls for. For the once in a lifetime/infrequent needs find an alternative i.e. rent, hire, etc.

I suspect that for a lot of the clean up chores needing attention now, a model in the 30-35 HP range can handle it but some things may need more than that sized tractor can handle. Once in shape, do you really need a 45 HP model to keep the grass cut?

My 24HP model handles a 5' mower and cuts the pasture with ease. One thing to watch out for in selecting a rotary mower is how well it is designed to discharge the cut grass/brush. My BIL's 30HP Kabota and JD mower struggles on my pasture and my slightly smaller tractor and different mower handles the same job without difficulty. The diff, the JD mower doesn't do a good job of clearing out the cut grass.

/ 12 acres tractor sizing #10  
JLudwig said:
If I choose a smaller tractor, the Kubota B7800/B3030 looks good, for the larger I was considering a JD3720 or a Kubota L4400/L4240. My local green and orange colored dealers seemed to be the best, so I'd like to stick with those.

Rule of thumb - pick the biggest you think you'll need, then buy the next one bigger.

For what you describe, I'd choose the L4400. The initial cost difference between the 45HP Ls and the lil' B tractors really isn't all that much, and you won't have to worry about wishing you bought the bigger one a year down the road - upgrading is when things get expensive.

The only downside of a bigger machine is manuverability, but if you're primarily maintaing fields, that won't be a concern.

JayC