Help buying a new tractor

/ Help buying a new tractor #11  
That Kioti 45 hp. will be fine for the described use. Most 100 ac farms were maintained with smaller tractors than that just a generation ago. It should be able to pull about a 7' bush hog, unless it is thick grass over 4' tall. If that will be the case get a 6'.

by my math 100 ac = 4356000 sq ft.

at 5 mph and a 5' bushhog you mow 132,000 sq ft / hr

that's 33 hrs to mow it once ( not quite 1 wk, just 4 eight hr days)

at 5 mph and a 7' 'hog you mow 184,800.00 sq. ft. / hr

that's 23.57 hrs to mow it once.

I don't know how well you need it maintained but I only mow fields for brush control 2 times per summer.

As far as Hydrostatic goes, If he has been on a tractor most of his life he will probably be more comfortable with a shuttle shift.

Dealer quality is more important than brand.

/ Help buying a new tractor
As far as the time it takes to mow the 100 acres he does not care. Actually he would prefer that it takes as longer. He is 80 years old and retired. He's from the city and simply enjoys doing outdoor things. This is the same guy who mows his lawn on the lowest speed possible (basically crawling).

He already gets the tax reduction. The farmers in the area do not need the hay (that and they are all no closer then 3 miles away and extremely lazy) so they just right him off but do not mow it. He only mows it to keep it looking nice, at most 2x a year. He also wants the tractor to play around with (dig holes and fill them back in). This is basically a toy for him to play on his farm with.

He does not need a cab. 4wd is a must. He likes the idea of having a quick connecting FEL. He wants 45hp or above. The compact tractors he likes because he can easily fit it in his garage. That’s about it as far as preferences.

/ Help buying a new tractor #13  
zxracer3 said:
As far as the time it takes to mow the 100 acres he does not care. Actually he would prefer that it takes as longer. He is 80 years old and retired. He's from the city and simply enjoys doing outdoor things. This is the same guy who mows his lawn on the lowest speed possible (basically crawling).

He already gets the tax reduction. The farmers in the area do not need the hay (that and they are all no closer then 3 miles away and extremely lazy) so they just right him off but do not mow it. He only mows it to keep it looking nice, at most 2x a year. He also wants the tractor to play around with (dig holes and fill them back in). This is basically a toy for him to play on his farm with.

He does not need a cab. 4wd is a must. He likes the idea of having a quick connecting FEL. He wants 45hp or above. The compact tractors he likes because he can easily fit it in his garage. That’s about it as far as preferences.

Considering the above, the Kioti 45 would be a good fit.

My grandfather went out on Sunday and looked at the dk65. He liked the tractor but realized that it was entirely too big. The dealer that I found for him was an extremely nice guy. I called him on Saturday and told him that my Grandfather wanted either the dk45 or 65. He called my Grandfather up and told him that he wanted to come out to his house and look at his property in order to give him a better idea of what he needed (My Grandfather is at least 30 miles away from the dealer). He came out told him that the dk45 would be better. My Grandfather then followed him back to look at the dk45 again and the dk 65. After liking the dk45 the dealer said that he would drop one off at his house on Monday for him to demo. He is outside playing with it right now as we speak. I was truly amazed at how helpful and nice the dealer was. My Grandfather so far was having nothing but nightmares. The dealer was probably one of the nicest guys I have ever talked too.

/ Help buying a new tractor #15  
zxracer3 said:
My grandfather went out on Sunday and looked at the dk65. He liked the tractor but realized that it was entirely too big. The dealer that I found for him was an extremely nice guy. I called him on Saturday and told him that my Grandfather wanted either the dk45 or 65. He called my Grandfather up and told him that he wanted to come out to his house and look at his property in order to give him a better idea of what he needed (My Grandfather is at least 30 miles away from the dealer). He came out told him that the dk45 would be better. My Grandfather then followed him back to look at the dk45 again and the dk 65. After liking the dk45 the dealer said that he would drop one off at his house on Monday for him to demo. He is outside playing with it right now as we speak. I was truly amazed at how helpful and nice the dealer was. My Grandfather so far was having nothing but nightmares. The dealer was probably one of the nicest guys I have ever talked too.
wow, impressive service.

The dealer is picking up the demo and dropping off the new one tomorrow. He has been playing with it all day today and is very satisfied with it. The one he is getting has a cab with ac/heat, 4wd, FEL, brushog, and I may be missing a thing or two. He paid a little over 31,000 with no tax, since he has a "farm". The dealer did everything he could to drop the price down and was very helpful. He is even going to come and do the oil changes for a while. I’m going upstate for the 4th of July. If I can make my camera work I’m going to take some pictures and put them up to show you guys. Thank you everyone for all of your help. You made my grandfather very happy.

/ Help buying a new tractor #17  
zxracer3 said:
The dealer is picking up the demo and dropping off the new one tomorrow. He has been playing with it all day today and is very satisfied with it. The one he is getting has a cab with ac/heat, 4wd, FEL, brushog, and I may be missing a thing or two. He paid a little over 31,000 with no tax, since he has a "farm". The dealer did everything he could to drop the price down and was very helpful. He is even going to come and do the oil changes for a while. I’m going upstate for the 4th of July. If I can make my camera work I’m going to take some pictures and put them up to show you guys. Thank you everyone for all of your help. You made my grandfather very happy.

Sounds like your grandfather is pleased with his purchase, which means a lot. With that cab and AC he might spend the summer on the tractor.

/ Help buying a new tractor #18  
Boy, he got a great machine. Tell him I said Welcome to the Pack! :D

Keith_B said:
Sounds like your grandfather is pleased with his purchase, which means a lot. With that cab and AC he might spend the summer on the tractor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we caught him sleeping in it.

Dmace said:
Boy, he got a great machine. Tell him I said Welcome to the Pack! :D

Thank you, I will.