Apples/Oranges and cash

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #1  

southernboy

As posted before I was set to pull the trigger on a NH TC45. Now my JD dealer put on the full court press. He came up with two options to counter the TC45 which I was leaning towards and the TN65 that I was considering. I had priced a JD 4120 but felt it was to small. He now has priced out a 4520 with a 400 CX FEL that is comparable to the TC45 in price and capability. As a kicker he found me a 2005 5105 fwd with 50 hours. It has a 522 FEL and a 48 backhoe. I like the 4520 alot but the 5105 is 8 grand less ( big time price leader of 4 considered) and a backhoe. Backhoes are something I have always wanted, could use and couldn't justify because of price and hassle of taking it on/off for the overall need. Any real issues I should consider? Wife likes the Hydro's but is gear capable and cost conscience. At the price I am leaning towards the 5105 but I could get closer to the price with a 4120 /300x bucket. My last tractor has lasted 20 years and I would like this purchase to be as satisfactory. The farm is a 40 acre hobby horse farm ( no haying) with the standard maintainence chores. BH 50% FEL 30% Gnd work 20%. Plan to make a move this week. The TC45/ JD4120 are about 1000 apart.

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #2  
I have both a TN and a TC
Get the TN (or the JD equivilent)
it's MUCH better tractor, more comfortable, better designed, and cheaper to run in the long haul. (much longer maint. windows)
in 40 acres you have plenty of room to turn around and deal with the larger turn radius of the utility sized tractor.

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #3  
Thats a tough choice they all sound like they are still in the running .

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #4  
I have a 5105/522. It is a great, solid tractor. The missing fancy features are pretty obvious. If it includes the backhoe and is still 8k less, I think you would find it a great choice. I was looking at the larger CUTs but would up with a 5105 in part because it cost me about the same as a 4120 would have. The 4xxx series are great, but not in the same class of power and durability as a 5105.

I'm not aware of any mechanical issues with the 5105 tractors.

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #5  
I wanted a backhoe but opted not to get one due to price. But I only have 5 acres so renting occasionally is not a big deal. With 40 acres you'll put it to good use. For $8K less it sounds like a no-brainer to me - I'd get the back hoe'd 5105...

/ Apples/Oranges and cash
Well I got up this morning to go sign on the line for the 5105. BUT the phone rang and my NH dealer called to tell me he just took a trade and I needed to come see. He had a 2005 JD4720 hydro with 2 years of full warranty and 3 of power train warranty for. He didn't need green on his lot so we bought it for 18,500. Thanks for everyones help and knowledge.

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #8  
southernboy said:
Well I got up this morning to go sign on the line for the 5105. BUT the phone rang and my NH dealer called to tell me he just took a trade and I needed to come see. He had a 2005 JD4720 hydro with 2 years of full warranty and 3 of power train warranty for. He didn't need green on his lot so we bought it for 18,500. Thanks for everyones help and knowledge.

Sounds like a heck of a deal but where did this warranty come from?

/ Apples/Oranges and cash
The tractor was bought new in May 06 and the remaining warranty is transferable. Has anyone got any thoughts on the 400cx loader vs the same size Woods loader? The NH dealer will get me the Woods in green :D but the JD guy is offering to put on the 400 and the NH guy would haul the tractor there instead of my farm. Both are great guys!

/ Apples/Oranges and cash #10  
Congrats on the new JD .

I would check the websites out and check the specs and options . Sounds like a good deal for the hp and the options.