NEW New Guy

/ NEW New Guy #11  
<font color=blue>You will find a lot of guys that know a TON of stuff here</font color=blue>

What Paul says is true, Garry, but you will also find a bunch of us who know a whole lot less than that. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif So don't hesitate to ask lots of questions -- we'll all be hanging on every word of all the answers.

I think your "plan" would be a dream come true for many on this board, and we're all anxious for you to succeed. Please keep us posted.
smile.gif

By the way -- what exactly is a "Risk Manager"? Sounds like handy credentials for a tractor guy.
wink.gif

/ NEW New Guy
I hear that, Bird. Actually, that was one of my concerns when I started thinking about this. It seems like everyone is getting them. But what seems even funnier, though, is that the people who are getting them don't seem to know what to do with them! At least around here they don't. I've even talked with our Parks director. Because of budget crunches, we're looking at ways to dramatically reduce spending. They're probably going to reduce the park mowing by half, which means every 14 - 16 days /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. And we live in a city that calls itself the City of Parks. Within a 22 square mile radius, we have 39 parks! In talking with the Park Director, he told me that he figures it costs his department $37.00/hr. for each mower to be working. Now I don't have any hard numbers yet, but from I've seen and read, I gotta believe that a conscientious fellow could probably get in to park mowing for somewhere around $20.00 to $25.00/hr. Point is, he's not been contacted by any mowing service to see about providing any services. You'd think they'd be jumping at a chance like that /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif. Anyway, those are the kinds of jobs I'll be looking for. Sometimes, you just gotta make your opportunities /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

/ NEW New Guy #13  
<font color=blue>I haven't developed any prejudices one way or the other, but I'm open to suggestions!<font color=black>

You will find plenty of people here to help develope a prejudice.

The blue above just a little subliminal thought. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ NEW New Guy #14  
You do have a plan and welcome to the board but if you would like to save quite a few thousand dollars when you start purchasing pass on the dump truck and look at a EZ dumper trailer. They make one that has ramps that will easily haul a compact tractor with attachments and you don't have high insurance cost on a trailer since it is covered under your truck insurance. Also don't have to maintain it like a dump truck and it will haul more then most 1 ton dump trucks. Just some food for thought when you start buying. Have fun and enjoy.

/ NEW New Guy
Thanks, Bob. I had thought about a trailer like that, but I figured with the dump truck, I could haul a load of whatever and pull the tractor at the same time. I know I could get a maxi-dump for a pick-up bed to do the same thing, but I like the idea of the larger payload in the dump truck. I'm going to have to give the dump trailer some serious thought. Is there a trailer large enough to hold the tractor with a FEL and rotary cutter?

/ NEW New Guy
Did you notice the color of my signature?? I know I said that I hadn't formed any prejudices yet, but I have always been partial to blue /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif!

/ NEW New Guy #17  
Garry, I’ll throw in my Welcome, glad to have you in the group. It’s a great bunch of guys/gals with a lot of information and we have a few laughs now and then.

In my opinion you are starting your search the right way by buying Muhammad’s book. I also think you are looking at the right horse power range for what you have planned. The hard part comes when you start deciding which brand you like the best./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif There are so many good ones out there. Get to know the local dealers and see whom you are most comfortable with. A good local dealer can be a great help. If you don’t like any of them----it happens----don’t worry. Today’s diesel compacts are remarkably reliable. For many of us, this forum is better than many of the dealers you talk to for getting information.

Keep reading past posts and asking questions. Someone here will have the answer your looking for.

MarkV

/ NEW New Guy #18  
<font color=blue>I always wondered if that worked.

/ NEW New Guy
Mark - Thanks. If one thing has come through loud and clear on TBN, everyone agrees that you need to shop around to find that good dealer. I'm really lucky. In this area, not only do I have the big 3 within 20 minutes, but I have multiple dealers for all brands with 45 minutes to 1 hour. And I have no problems with driving for 1 hour if I know I'm going to be treated well and get good service! I did read an interesting comment the other day though. I can't remember which section it was in (is that age /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif?), but someone said that after all their shopping around, they finally settled on their tractor 'cause the seat felt better than any of the others /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif! After I thought about it, I realized that it could come down to something that simple!! Anyway, I've probably got quite a bit of time to make my decision, so I'll be asking LOTS of questions, visiting TBN regularly (I even have it bookmarked on my office computer /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif, and embarrasing myself with some really stupid questions /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. I know, I know - there's no such thing as a stupid question. Well, I say that all the time too. But it's one thing to say it, and another thing to do it /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif!

/ NEW New Guy #20  
Golfgar4,
I don't have any advice you have not already heard but just wanted to welcome you./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif By my experience, you will know more about the tractors you are looking at <font color=orange>(from reading tbn)</font color=orange> than most of the salesmen you talk with. I know you will make the right choice.
<font color=orange>Another subliminal message.</font color=orange>/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif