NEW New Guy

/ NEW New Guy #1  

Golfgar4

Elite Member
Tractor
None -yet. Until then FunBuggy (EZ-Go) will have to do!
Hi guys! I started checking out TBN about a week ago, and am I IMPRESSED /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. I'm starting my search for my toy, and I think I've seen every question I've ever had about tractors answered through these threads. You guys really know your stuff. And it's great the way everybody shares info. I hope I'll be able to contribute as time goes by.

I'll be looking for a 30 - 40 hp tractor. At this point in time, I haven't developed any prejudices one way or the other, but I'm open to suggestions! Within a 20 minute drive, I have a JD, NH, and Kubota dealer. I've visited all of them at least once, but since I really didn't know what to ask, I can't really say whether one is better than another. But like most of you have said, visiting and talking is half the fun/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. I'll keep reading and visiting TBN. I look forward to getting to know you all a whole lot better!

/ NEW New Guy #3  
Welcome to the forum, Garry. You haven't given enough information about the size of your property, type of terrain (hilly, level, rocky, sandy, etc.), and most importantly exactly what chores you plan to do with a tractor for other members to help you decide which tractor (and you may not need such help anyway), but you're on the right track. Visit all the dealers, test drive tractors, and find out which tractor brand is most comfortable for you, and which dealer(s) you're most comfortable working with. Have fun shopping.

/ NEW New Guy
Yeah, I know I didn't have much info. yet. It's kind of a long story, but to shorten it up - ever since I was a kid I've loved tractors. My grandfather owned an area IH dealership for years, and I remember going to visit and they couldn't get me off the tractors. Anyway, college came and went, a few years in the Navy, and then a family that needed supporting kept me away from ever getting a tractor. Now I'm about 3 years from retiring, and I've decided it's time! I don't have any property larger than your shed, Bird, but the wife and I are planning on selling the City house and moving out to the country after I retire. I'm also going to start up a part time business mowing empty lots and fields, drilling post holes, hauling mulch, dirt, sand, etc. and anything else that will be fun with a tractor! That's the important thing - have fun /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif. There seems to be a real need for that kind of work around here. I've been talking it up to some developers I know, and they all said that they could use a service like that. Initially, I'm looking at getting the tractor with a FEL, post hole digger, and back hoe. I'm also going to pick me up one of those small single axle dump trucks. Going to start out slow and let it grow, I hope! So, the bottom line is - I'm a tractor owner wannabe with no reason to own a tractor right now. Even if the part time business doesn't work out, I'll still need it for the country estate we're gonna buy. (She's a home designer and she's calling the country estate The Compound. It will include the house, a storage shed for my toy (her idea), and an art gallery that we also operate. We're hoping for 5 - 10 wooded acres.

Well, that's a quick explanation. Hope I didn't bore you too much. Thanks for writing back, and I'll keep checking in.

/ NEW New Guy #5  
Sounds great Garry! Hope you find the answers to your questions along the way, and keep us posted with the progress of not just your tractor purchase, but of your "compound" ... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Welcome aboard!

/ NEW New Guy #6  
GARY; WELCOME TO THE FORUM. as bird said a little more infor on type of property and your intended uses may help to make a decision. set down what u think u want in a tractor, hp, gear? hst? loader? etc. then test drive them all a few times. JD, NH , KUBOTA ALL MAKE FINE MACHINES pick the one that u like best. and shopping is half the fun/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif keep us informed of your search.
FRANK

/ NEW New Guy #7  
Yes welcome! You will find a lot of guys that know a TON of stuff here. Eaven if you don't have a tractor, you will find a lot of stuff to help you out.

/ NEW New Guy
Thanks guys! I've already figured out that this is the place to be! I've purchased Muhammed's book and have read it 3 times already! A guy can't help but get excited /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif about this stuff when he reads all the great stuff on TBN. Why, it's almost as good as.......I'll let each of YOU fill in the blank! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ NEW New Guy #9  
Wow it does sound like you have things pretty well planned out. And a great plan it sounds like indeed.

Good luck with the purchase and the compound !

Cheers

/ NEW New Guy #10  
Sounds great, Garry. I'd like to have a business like you're planning myself, but I'm so far out in the sticks that nearly everyone around here has their own tractor, so there's not much of that kind of business to be had./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif