locating used equipment

/ locating used equipment #1  

Kendrick

Gold Member
Tractor
DK45S(Cab)
For some of the work I am going to need to do I suspect a UT 60-75+ hp would be a good venture and could get me started with the mowing wile i look for a nice cut(plus afford more cut) I was wondering where would one find resonable deal in vt, nh, E ny.

/ locating used equipment #2  
JD has an all brands used equipment link on their web page that does a JD dealer search centered on the zip code that you enter. Bear in mind that these are dealer prices so you might also check your local classified ads or local Free Trader/Penny Saver ads.

Used Farm Equipment & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder.com

I've seen some low offered by owner prices on the NY side of Lake Champlain but have no idea how to determine if the machine is worth the asking price.

Good hunting

/ locating used equipment #3  
try tractorhouse.com also

/ locating used equipment #5  
My screenname is all about how I accumulated equipment to farm with, as well as how I suplimented my income while raising 3 kids. I bought used equipment, some of it in less than mint condition, repaired it, kept the best pieces, and sold the rest. Over a 30 year span, I probably bought and sold 1000 implements and 100 or more tractors. I managed to accumulate some really nice equipment for my own use and made a few bucks along the way.

I never found one single source that stood out as the best.

Auctions, if you know what you're doing, can be a place to start. Understand most consignment sales are an avenue for people to unload junk. Estate sales are a better source for usable, intact equipment, but in many cases, the stuff has sat for a few years. Also, in the case of estate sales, equipment may have been in a state of deterioration as the owners health declined.

Newspaper adds will bring a bargain or two. You have too take what they give you. Don't expect a bargain every edition. Obscure, misworded adds always netted me the best buys. (People either didn't know what they had to sell, or other potential buyers didn't recognize what was selling)

"Equipment trader" type publications are common. Find the ones in your area and keep an eye out for bargains.

Go have a "heart to heart" with a few dealers in your area. Explain what you're looking for. Leave a name and number with a salesman. They get people wanting to trade in equipment all the time. Sometimes they want more than a dealer can invest in a used piece, but less than what you as an individual will be willing to pay. If the dealer is a horse trader, he'll put you on to the item so he can make his sale too.

/ locating used equipment #6  
Kendrick said:
For some of the work I am going to need to do I suspect a UT 60-75+ hp would be a good venture and could get me started with the mowing wile i look for a nice cut(plus afford more cut) I was wondering where would one find resonable deal in vt, nh, E ny.

Probably the quickest approach is to talk with tractor dealers in your area. Tell them what you're looking for and give them your phone# and email address.

I found my 1964 MF-135 diesel that way. Only took about a week after I spoke to a few dealers for one of them to email me that he had a customer who wanted to sell his 135 to get $$$ for a new tractor.

/ locating used equipment #7  
I found tractorhouse.com and fastline.com useful.

/ locating used equipment #8  
FarmwithJunk,
How do you know how much to pay at auctions? I've maybe broke even buying a couple items and then having to buy new parts to repair each. Thats not even counting the sweat equity I've put in it. I have determined that a local auctioneer has a couple of shill bidders as the same items are for sale at the next month's auction. And he won't let them go cheap.

One more question, How do you prepare your stuff for paint, sandblast or else?

Has anyone used the sand tube attachment for a power washer?

/ locating used equipment #9  
Morn Kendrick.
Most tractor dealers in NH & VT have website now,and w/in there website they off used equipment...example Townline Equipment...also keep check on farm auctions in your local paper.

/ locating used equipment #10  
Kyle_in_Tex said:
FarmwithJunk,
How do you know how much to pay at auctions? I've maybe broke even buying a couple items and then having to buy new parts to repair each. Thats not even counting the sweat equity I've put in it. I have determined that a local auctioneer has a couple of shill bidders as the same items are for sale at the next month's auction. And he won't let them go cheap.

One more question, How do you prepare your stuff for paint, sandblast or else?

Has anyone used the sand tube attachment for a power washer?

Trial and error. BAck when I started fooling with old used equipment, it was MUCH cheaper, much more common, and much less expensive to repair. I lost a few bucks on a few pieces along road. As time went on, I tried to stay with equipment that needed more ADJUSTING than it needed parts. New parts can add up quick. It's easy to replace 10% of the working parts on something like a baler, and end up with 100% of its worth left at the parts counter. Also, I tried to stick with models where used parts were available when I could.

Auctioneers who try to run a scam are X-ed off my list post haste. There's probably 10 auction services operating around here, with 2 I'll do business with.

I've sandblasted a few pieces, wire wheeled a few... It all depends on how good of a finish I'm after, the starting condition, and the over-all worth of the item I'm fixing up. Sand blasting is a drastic measure. Not everything is sand blast material. That is a quick way to destroy seals, bearings, ect.