Dealer far away, how to service?

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #11  
jbrumberg said:
PS: mjncad I love your decal :cool: and if I remember correctly she has a twin? :D

Yes, Bambi has her friend Thumper, a JD L130 lawn tractor. A new friend with an equally pleasant decal should be joining the family soon. Of course I'll post pictures of the new arrival when it's ready.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #12  
Years ago, things were completely different. A tractor dealership was so glad to make a sale they'd bend over backwards to please the customer, even after the sale. Dealerships were everywhere. Just about every small town had AT LEAST one tractor dealer. Pick up and delivery charges were almost unheard of. It wasn't a major expendature for dealers back then.

And tractors were simple enough that an average "shadetree mechanic" could do most, if not all of the maintenance and repairs.

Times have indeed changed.

We must now adjust.

If you're mechanically inclined, have a well stocked shop, and have access to parts, the average joe can do SOME repairs and a great deal of the routine maintenance. But with a good portion of todays techno-wonder composite material-electronic controlled-star wars inspired mini-tractors, you need dealer support....and they KNOW it.

Pick up and delivery charges will eat holes in your budget. Those trips to and from the dealer add days to your down time. Good chance the dealer ISN'T making much (if any at all) off of the haul bill with high fuel cost, insurance, and expensive trucks/trailers. He doesn't make money, he doesn't get too enthused about providing that service.

Alternatives;

1. Buy a truck and trailer
2. Befriend a wrecker service with a roll back
3. Learn to work on complex mechanical systems, buy specialized tools, equip your shop, and do it yourself
4. Pay dealer and wait
5. Find a mobile mechanic
6. Stick with older, less complicated tractors. (My choice) They're easier to do "home repairs" and easier to find local mechanics to do your work.

My opinion? If #6 isn't an option, #2 is next best choice if your dealer isn't willing to pick up the slack.

And about those higher fuel prices. I'm seeing a tendency for people to stay closer to home nowdays. Most of the "majors" in the tractor business are starting to expand the concept of satelite stores owned by a single larger dealership, at least in my area. In one case, they have 3 sales outlets in a 100 mile radius, with service at all 3. Specialty mechanics (ie hydro tranny guy, electronics tech, ect) travel from shop to shop as needed. I recently bought a new tractor from them. My closest dealer outlet WAS 65 miles. Now it's 6 miles. I can drive the tractor there if needed.

All things being equal, I'd weigh dealer proximity with the same consideration as any single factor in purchasing a new tractor if you aren't in a position to do your own wrenching, or unable to haul the tractor at a reasonable cost.