Dealer far away, how to service?

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #1  

ArtVandelay

Bronze Member
I was looking at the Kioti DK45SE HST tractor, and it seems like a great deal, but the closest dealer is 140 miles away. I don't have a truck big enough to haul a tractor of that size. So in that situation, if the tractor needed service or repair, what would I have to do?

Thanks

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #2  
I'd suggest you factor in the cost of getting the tractor to the shop or a field service unit coming to you in case you need your Kioti repaired.

The Kioti may be priced nice; but that nice price may turn sour if it starts costing you big $$$$ to get it repaired if it needs it.

When I was tractor shopping in 2001, I looked at Deere, Kubota, Kioti, and New Holland. The Kubota and NH dealers were essentially across the street from where I bought my Deere. There are only two other Kubota dealers relatively close by (within 50-miles radius), and a similar situation for NH. There is a Kioti dealer near me and I pass it on my way to the Deere dealer when I need parts or accessories; but there isn't a Kioti dealer on every corner so to speak.

I ended up with the Deere because there are plenty of dealers to choose from if I get mad should I encounter lousy treatment and service.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #3  
Unfortunately I have to agree with mjncad as to the potential for a dealership angering you to the point that you will not step in the dealer's door. There is a "local" (within 25 miles) NH dealer with whom I have not done business for 15 years. Apparently they are now under new ownership/management so maybe I can resume some degree of contact, but I am pretty "loyal" to the dealership who has always treated and advised me fairly. When it comes to acquiring attachments I am more influenced by brand, price, and quality. Jay

PS: mjncad I love your decal :cool: and if I remember correctly she has a twin? :D

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #4  
Morning Art,and welcome to TBN.

Indeed service key factor when purchasing...good relationship,but 140 miles I would think be a tad to far,and to have service tech to make house call w/todays prices YIKES...dealers around my parts are getting $70 an hour plus $1 to $1.50 mile to haul back both ways after warranty no longer.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #5  
jbrumberg said:
There is a "local" (within 25 miles) NH dealer with whom I have not done business for 15 years.

Morn Jay.
Bout time you visit New Hampshire for your tractor needs...were tax free over here and could use your $$'s to fix our roads. ;)

Enjoy the pleasant weather this weekend.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #6  
Thomas:

I have been known to travel "out of state" on various and possibly delusionally based "missions". Who knows maybe I have crossed paths with you :D. I agree- a great weekend; I hope you get to enjoy it as well. Thanks Jay

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #7  
Look in your phone book many areas have mobile mechanics. If you have a garage to put the tractor in it makes them very happy.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #8  
In general, it is better to buy local. 140 miles is too far if there are things you need --right now-- that are dealer only items. And the expense of trucking your machine 280 miles (the mileage could double, if you cannot wait while the repair is done), not to mention the time it takes to accomplish such a trip, will quickly make you forget how much you liked the Kioti over a closer brand and the money you saved in the initial purchase.

Speaking from experience here. I bought a new Honda motorcycle 200 miles from home. It did not turn out well.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #9  
I quite liked the Kioti CK30 when I was shopping but there was only one dealer within 100 miles. He didn't inspire a huge amount of confidence but more importantly there weren't others to choose if things went wrong.

One of the reasons I went with a Kubota. Lots of dealers around. As it turns out this was important to me. My dealer ended up really sucking.

That being said, none of the dealers around here have inspired any kind of confidence in me. It is a deja vu of the situation with cars I have encountered. The best service I have had is since I found an independant mechanic.

I imagine I will have to do the same for the tractor ultimately.

/ Dealer far away, how to service? #10  
If you're comfortable with turning a wrench, I'd suggest getting a service manual (make that part of the deal) and doing your own work.
Most of the work should be preventative maintenance (oil/fluid changes, greasing, etc.).
Any break downs or warranty claims should be on the dealer's ticket...but make sure that's on the bill of sale.

If you're not OK with wrenching, you'll want to buy a brand with closer dealer support.