First Compact Tractor Recommendation's?

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #1  

BrentP

Tractor
JD 2305
Hi, I am new to this site so I hope I am giving all the info needed for my question. I currently live on 2 acres, and most of it is wide open grass. When I moved in three years ago, I bought a JD L120 (20 hp with no rear PTO) thinking it would be all I needed (I used to live in the city). The little lawn mower has held up well with over 200 hrs, but I need to do more tasks and I want something that will mow faster than 3 hours. I find myself borrowing the neighbors JD 770 many times throughout the year and I think it's time for me to make the big purchase. I have two JD dealers within 20 miles, and a Kubota dealer two miles up the road right in town.

The new tractor would be used to perform the tasks below:

1) Mowing 2 acres, and I also will need to roll the lawn every spring.
2) Tilling 3 fairly large gardens.
3) Maintaining a 300' gravel driveway (grading, scraping, smoothing, etc).
4) Plowing snow throughout the winters up here in Michigan (my little L120 get's stuck quite a bit even with chains and weights).
5) I will be planting many trees over the next few years and will be constantly moving landscaping rocks and mulch all over the property to landscape the house.
6) Re shaping and excavating some ground for better water drainage.

How big of a tractor would you recommend, which models, and how much HP to do those tasks? I am thinking to get the tractor, mid mount mower, and FEL. Then go to the local TSC and get a tiller and rear blade (or buy those used). Any other information would be helpful.

Thanks, Brent

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #2  
   / First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #3  
Brent, welcome to TBN.

What worked for me was sitting and trying several different machines and talking to the different dealers. Even though all of the major brands are good just small things make a particular tractor "fit" better. The dealer relationship is also important, trust me you will be back talking with the dealer. If you are planning on doing a lot of loader work then consider a hydrostatic transmission. Decide whether or not you want MFWD, I find it very useful.

Good luck and let us now what happens.

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's?
Thanks. Yes, I like the 790 and the price is good for the HP. The only thing I can't have is the manual sliding gear. My wife will want to use the tractor as well, and she would need a hydostatic. I used the tractor needs analizer on the JD website and the 2320 kept popping up. It's the same price as a 4wd 790 but with 3 hp less. Do you guys think the 24 HP will be enough for my needs?

I will be taking your advice and visit some dealers this week. How much off MSRP can I expect on average when I negotiate price?

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #5  
BrentP said:
Thanks. Yes, I like the 790 and the price is good for the HP. The only thing I can't have is the manual sliding gear. My wife will want to use the tractor as well, and she would need a hydostatic. I used the tractor needs analizer on the JD website and the 2320 kept popping up. It's the same price as a 4wd 790 but with 3 hp less. Do you guys think the 24 HP will be enough for my needs?

I will be taking your advice and visit some dealers this week. How much off MSRP can I expect on average when I negotiate price?

Well, if that 770 did the work, the 2320 should too since they're both 24 Gross HP. The 770 does have 2 more PTO HP and weighs about 150 - 200 lbs more.
Tilling might be a challenge...but if you did it with the 770, you should be OK with the smaller tractor.
Make sure you get a ballast box as part of the deal. You'll need that weight for traction for some of the tasks you've planned.

Other tractors to look at would be the Kubota B7800 and New Holland TC-30, both of which can be had with a hydro tranny so look beyond green.

Or, you teach your wife how to use the collarshift.

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #6  
BrentP:

Welcome to TBN :D! Those tractor needs analizer software programs' recommendations are fairly accurate. I would try those software programs from the other major brands and see how they compare. I agree with EdC and RoyJackson, and I think a 24 HP MFWD tractor with HST would meet your needs. I will remain "color blind" as to brand, but I would suggest that you go with a lighter tractor if mowing will be your primary task and a heavier tractor if you intend to use ground engaging attachments for moving a lot of dirt. I suggest you try as many of the major tractor brands and dealerships as possible. In the end tractor feel and comfort level with the dealer is more important than those fancy brochures with all those Sales & Marketing driven "statistics". Good luck on your research and acquisition. Please keep the posts coming :)! Jay

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #7  
Brent, Welcome aboard.

If you were to ask me to point to a specific model I'd first reference this machine ==> Kubota Tractor Corporation - B Series - B7800 Compact Tractors

In the same manner of remaining color blind, I too have recently bought my first, although I was raised on a farm around tractors.

My approach was that I needed something now to tend several acres, with different needs around the various places I have. Where I started was where I thought I'd be in the future, say 5 - 10 years (then), wishing I had bought something larger (now). I opted for a 30 HP machine with a front loader and a mid-mount mower, all of these implements having usefulness in the present. I am pleased with it, as it does all I think I'll need around a lake place and an in-town place as well. For me, I am glad I didn't go any smaller in performance capability at this time. The tractor I ended up with is orange, but color is merely a preference. Orange is still offering Zero % interest financing for 36 months on the above linked machine, as shown here ==> Kubota Tractor Corporation - Promotional Rates

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's?
Well...it looks like I will have lots of research to do! I will visit the JD and Kubota dealers tomorrow. That 7800 looks like a tuff tractor. The locals would be pleased if I brought that machine home (everywhere you look in this area is mostly Orange). I went to that New Holland site to check out that TC-30, and the closest dealer is about 40 minutes away. Will keep you all posted.

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #9  
Brent -- Where are you in Michigan? Are you in real Michigan or in the Southeast corner? I used to live about 50 miles north of Grand Rapids on the edge of the Muskegon/Lake Michigan snow region and managed the snow duties with an 8N Ford (27 hp) and a back blade.

I would think the B-7800 would be a good choice, but with only 2 acres one of the BX series might be a little better for the lawn duties and such. The 7800 is kind of a small Ag type tractor while the BX series are kind of lawn tractors on steroids. Ground clearance is probably not an issue for you, but if you are planting trees and thinking into the future overall height might be.

The JDs are good machines, too, but since the Kubota dealer is only 4 miles away and you see orange everywhere you look, I would guess that dealership is a good one. If it wasn't, you would see more green. For that matter, though, if you like your JD, look at their large size lawn machines -- the 500 series is pretty serious and very capable of handling a lot of attachments.

I ended up with a Case DX29, which is essentially as the TC series from New Holland, but the 24 size machine from CNH might fit your needs very well, too.

/ First Compact Tractor Recommendation's? #10  
The B7800 "class" of machines would be a good choice as others have stated. You can pull a rear finish mower of good size or put an undermount deck on it. Turf tires sound like a good choice for your applications, but you will need to get some GOOD chains with H linkages for snow use.

Personally, I would stay away from the BX "class" of machines. The 3pt hitch is not a standard Category 1 on many of them and that pushes you into more expensive attachments. Still, they are popular for your size lot and up to 5+ acres. People have done tremendous amounts of work with them too. Just a point to ponder in your quest.

jb