Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #11  
10 inches? That's just kick out of the way stuff:)

I use a Curtis 7 foot blade on my Kubota 5030 with 853 QA FEL. I also installed the W.R. Long electric(solenoid)/hydraulic system for power angle function. This give left and right angle added to the normal lift and curl actions.

It is on and off in 2 minutes: detach bucket, drive to plow, hook in and throw levers, then plug in 2 hoses and go to work.

R1's front and rear and rear tire chains go on at beginning of winter.

A p/u would be stuck in the ditch going up this road.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2756/size/big/sort/1/cat/500

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup
I've plowed over 30" at a time with a dumptruck or backhoe, but not with a smaller tractor and I was just looking for real life experiences ie: ability, wheel slip, comfort in the cab, visibility, etc.

I actually found that FFC makes a 9,10,11 & 12' power angle plow for my CASE backhoe, so I might go in that direction, but I'm not sure. I'll still need a 50HP tractor.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #13  
I have the kubota m5700, and use a rear 8 foot plow with r4s , this way I get to use my bucket also when needed.The pickup will be much faster for sure.For storms up to 10 inches you should have no problem with the tractor.I also have a 7 foot snow blower ,also rear mounted for larger storms , slower but the snow is well out of the way,no banks.I do about 700 feet of driveway plus parking areas.I have no problem at all with the r4s and don't have a problem going backwards have to much use for the bucket to ever take that off.Hope this helps

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #14  
RFB said:
I use a Curtis 7 foot blade on my Kubota 5030 with 853 QA FEL. I also installed the W.R. Long electric(solenoid)/hydraulic system for power angle function. This give left and right angle added to the normal lift and curl actions.

RFB,

With the blade that far out in front of your tractor, does it ever push the front of the tractor sideways when the blade is angled? I've got a skid steer blade that I've never tried on my L4330.

John

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #15  
jmc,

I have heard that it will, but I guess I am a bumble bee that does not know it's impossible to fly.

I push several feet at a time, up hill for 1.5 miles, sometimes several times a day with a big storm. The only time I move sideways is when I run into a dirt berm. I also use power to push the snow, not speed. I am usually in low or medium (HST) and you can see from the pics the snow I push.

The BH on the back provides a perfect balance for the blade on the front; the chains, R1's and MFWD make me virtually unstoppable.

HEC said:
I have the kubota m5700, and use a rear 8 foot plow with r4s , this way I get to use my bucket also when needed.The pickup will be much faster for sure.For storms up to 10 inches you should have no problem with the tractor.I also have a 7 foot snow blower ,also rear mounted for larger storms , slower but the snow is well out of the way,no banks.I do about 700 feet of driveway plus parking areas.I have no problem at all with the r4s and don't have a problem going backwards have to much use for the bucket to ever take that off.Hope this helps

Thanks. Yes, that's very helpful. I'm looking at an M-4900 w/ cab and a Case CX50 w/ cab and a few others. I like the M5700 a lot, too. Need to find a clean used one for a good buy.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #17  
One nice thing about the boom mounted tractor blades is that they can be angled in multiple planes. One can angle them downward to get better cleaning, but one might get some sideways movement of the front end of the tractor doing so. One can see the plow much better when it is a boom style v. a standard frame mount. I have been pretty happy with my tractor's snow plowing ability. I can say in some cases I think it would be quicker than a pickup mounted blade, and I really can push a lot of snow with the tractor and a front mounted blade. Also, bear in mind, the front blade can also be used for other things. I have the Frontier named blade which is manufactured for JD. It has a tall moldboard and is heavy enough to move dirt and stone if needed. I have not used it for this purpose, but it definitely is heavy enough to do so.

John M

I'm beginning to wonder if a plow mounted on a Q/A loader assembly wouldn't be better than a frame mounted plow?

That way I also get another loader in addition to my CASE loader?

Ddin't think of the visibility aspect. I would think the vis would be btter mounted on loader arms, but it's also longer and more suceptable to sideways movement.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #19  
my plow is a meyers 7 1/2 ft, with quick attach. drop the bucket, throw the levers, hook up the third valve and off I go.. quick and easy,. My driveway is 1600 ft long, gravel and rough. One in a great while if previous snow has been plowed and we get 10" of heavy wet stuff, usually nearing spring,,, at time the front end can get kicked over,, Nothing that I worry about,... I just make a half deep cut up and back, then drop the blade all the way and it hasn't proved to be a problem.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #20  
I personally like plowing with pickup better.FASTER,more comfy.1600' is alot of drive to be wasting time on moving snow.Especially if it snows often.I saw a new plow at the fair last year that rolls over so you can drag snow also.