Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
What would plowing with a 45-50 horse 4x4 EROPS tractor with turfs or R-4 tires be like compared to say a 4x4 GMC or Ford pickup be like for a couple of residential driveways grouped together?

I realize a pickup would be the ticket for plowing commercially several driveways as I've owned a plowing business in the past. I've also plowed with my previous backhoe.

What I want to know specifically is how does a 45-50HP cab tractor plow snow compared to a pickup in a normal say 10" snowfall? I would think a pickup would be better because it's able to get up more speed and push the snow. I'm assuming a 7.5' or 8' power angle plow blade

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #2  
piece of cake

Attachments

• Image003rs2.jpg
    Image003rs2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,193
  • Image005rs2.jpg
    Image005rs2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 980
  • Imagers3t7rs3.jpg
    Imagers3t7rs3.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 948
   / Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #3  
When I bought my cabbed tractor I got a 4 yard QT snow bucket as one of the attachments. Pretty much obsoleted the snow shovel.

A little more difficult to put a pickup blade right up to a garage door or on a deck.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup
Thanks for the pictures!

I know it could do the job, but does it struggle or spin out a lot?

I'm thinking a 40-50 horse CUT would weigh like 4,000-5,000 lbs, that's 2,000-3,000 lbs lighter than say my GMC3500. I would think the tractor might just sit & spin with a decent load in front of it.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #5  
The thing I noticed is rear wheel traction is excellent R1's may have to lift up on the floating bucket to gain steering weight on the front end. Depending on the snow condition can push & break surface tension 20' out front. Tractor weight 10k lbs.

Attachments

• 12205 4 rear view snow.jpg
    12205 4 rear view snow.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 834
   / Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #6  
OK, I promise I will not bring up Ford and Chevy pickups in this post. (Kidding). Builder, I live in WNC where we get a fair amount of snow. Last year, not so much, but usually. I have a JD 3720 with a 6' front blade. It does a fine job. These machines are stout. They will not spin out, especially if they have MFWD. My 3720 is a monster in the snow and handles even lots of heavy wet snow without problem. My blade mounts to my loader arms after I detach the bucket. I would recommend it. The BEST thing I have ever used for snowplowing though is my JD Gator. I had an HPX diesel Gator with a 6' Eagle Plow and it was a plowing machine. I now have an XUV diesel and I suspect with its increased horsepower and weight it will be even faster. I plow the narrow, steep road into my drive in winter and it is about 3/4 mile in length. I also plow my 600' driveway which has a 20-30% pitch in some spots. Our neighborhood has a Dodge 3500 with a Meyers 7' plow on it and our plow guy gladly gives up several sections to me as the Gator can plow circles around his truck (and my tractor) on the terrain we have here. I would say if you are looking for the ultimate plowing machine for SNOW, a strong UTV (JD, Ranger, Rhino, etc.) with a front blade is the ticket; but a tractor will do a nice job. My only complaint is side sliding some with my tractor's R4 tires. They get good traction for pushing and with MFWD, I have had no problems there, but if the machine starts to slide it usually does so sideways, which can be unnerving. I suspect R1 tires would be better, and chains best, but they are so darned hard to put on I usually do not do it. Hope this is helpful, and I still like your Chevrolet.

John M

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #7  
I can tell you that even though a tractor moves slow, it can push snow back farther than a pickup. I do have Valby ice chains on mine though. I only have a 30hp, and it has r-4's all around for tires. the chains are just on back tires. I usually snow blow with it, but when I break a shear pin sometimes, I use the bucket to finish up my and my mothers yards. I wouldn't want to go back to a pickup EVER! I have a 3/4 ton, with no plow... There's no need to have one. Don't underestimate tractors. Good luck on whatever you decide!
Daryle.

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup #8  
Hey Builder,

My experience is limited, as I have only done a couple of parking lots the last few years that were side by side with the tractor, and not plowed them myself but...

You can do a much cleaner job with a tractor (often down to pavement using the loader for the primary moving and box blade for "finish"), your visibility is perfect, and you can put the snow right where you want it, but it will take a lot longer, and will not be as comfortable. A friend helped out a couple days with his 9.2 Boss V-plow... I'll have one of those next winter!

Course with a box blade you can back right up to doorways & pull the snow right away from them, so the shovel is obsolete for the most part...

/ Snowplowing 4x4 tractor vs 4x4 pickup
jcmseven said:
OK, I promise I will not bring up Ford and Chevy pickups in this post. (Kidding). Builder, I live in WNC where we get a fair amount of snow. Last year, not so much, but usually. I have a JD 3720 with a 6' front blade. It does a fine job. These machines are stout. They will not spin out, especially if they have MFWD. My 3720 is a monster in the snow and handles even lots of heavy wet snow without problem. My blade mounts to my loader arms after I detach the bucket. I would recommend it. The BEST thing I have ever used for snowplowing though is my JD Gator. I had an HPX diesel Gator with a 6' Eagle Plow and it was a plowing machine. I now have an XUV diesel and I suspect with its increased horsepower and weight it will be even faster. I plow the narrow, steep road into my drive in winter and it is about 3/4 mile in length. I also plow my 600' driveway which has a 20-30% pitch in some spots. Our neighborhood has a Dodge 3500 with a Meyers 7' plow on it and our plow guy gladly gives up several sections to me as the Gator can plow circles around his truck (and my tractor) on the terrain we have here. I would say if you are looking for the ultimate plowing machine for SNOW, a strong UTV (JD, Ranger, Rhino, etc.) with a front blade is the ticket; but a tractor will do a nice job. My only complaint is side sliding some with my tractor's R4 tires. They get good traction for pushing and with MFWD, I have had no problems there, but if the machine starts to slide it usually does so sideways, which can be unnerving. I suspect R1 tires would be better, and chains best, but they are so darned hard to put on I usually do not do it. Hope this is helpful, and I still like your Chevrolet.

John M

Thanks, John.

Very good advice guys.