Stick-shift vs. Automatic - Which is better for mowing?

/ Stick-shift vs. Automatic - Which is better for mowing? #11  
art:

A very complete answer to the original post question :), and as I thought about your answer I thought about my lower field and how HST with its groundspeed variability while maintaining constant RPM's allows for the same cut while safely negotiating more challenging areas on my property where I have to go real slow. So in hindsight I would have to agree with you about HST. Jay

/ Stick-shift vs. Automatic - Which is better for mowing? #12  
art said:
one of the biggest pluses with a hydro is speed flexibility or ability to fit the conditions. There are times a field is rough or has objects that you need to mow around and the hydro with it's infinite speeds makes it tough to beat for speed when trying to get a job done. The ability to quickly and effortlessly adjust the ground speed to the conditions of the ground or even a light spot where you might enjoy a little faster ground speed is a big plus for the hydro's.

Art perfectly described why I think a hydro is a plus for mowing. I mow a fair amount and it varies from thin to real thick and tall. The hydro is easy to adapt and adjust to the different areas as I mow. If you can demo a unit, or try a friends, see if you agree.

/ Stick-shift vs. Automatic - Which is better for mowing? #13  
Open field mowing, gear, greater fuel efficiency and more useable hp. Most other mowing, hydro.. Your case sounds like gear the better choice.