John Deere 990 Cost and Performance

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #11  
flusher said:
Those JD 990s must be friggin stupendous.
Someone just paid $101,100 for on a 2003 990 4WD with a 430 FEL on eBay

eBay: 2003 JOHN DEERE 990 4WD COMPACT TRACTOR 430 LOADER (item 330144918570 end time Jul-08-07 05:14:54 PDT)

My tractor blue book says they have a 4-cyl Yanmar engine (35 hp pto) and are have an average resale value around $12K.

Maybe there's something about the 2003 model that makes it so valuable. Maybe eBay made a typo. Maybe some bidders are nuts.

hahaha Well, for the most part you can get a 2003 for a little under $100,000.
I think this one had a couple extras with low hours.
hahahahaha

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #12  
I hope for the buyer's sake, that was a typo!

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance
mike5.56 said:
UncleBubba63,
I'm still looking for a tractor, and like yourself have had difficulty in finding info on the 990. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have 70 ac, 15 of which is pasture. I plan on putting in a small orchard and vineyard on the first 9 ac, and using the second 6 ac pasture as a food plot.

What are you using for ground engagement to plow the food plot, and how has the 990 handled it?

Is the gear tranny hard to get used to when using the FEL, and does the 990 have a syncro shuttle shift, and if not how difficult is it to go from forward to reverse when doing FEL work?

How comfortable is the work platform? My local Deere dealers don't have any 990's so it's hard to find out how ergonomic it would be. I'm 6'4" and weigh 250, so a rather large area is required.

How does the 990 maneuver in the woods? I'm going to be cutting trails in my timber, so it is kind of important that the tractor be somewhat nimble.

Have you used a posthole digger to plant your orchard, and was it difficult? My property has sort of a rocky clay soil, and can be a bear, at least when trying to pull out the auger on a handheld PHD (no reverse).

Does the 990 have a rear hydraulic option for a logsplitter or chipper?

Sorry for the 40 questions, but I like the idea of a basic tractor without alot of bells and whistles. I have a JD 455 with a 22 HP Yanmar, so I'm familiar with the motors made by them, and they're excellent. Thanks.

Mike, I cannot tell you more than my opinion... which is: sure sounds like you are going to need a little more tractor than the 990. I feel confident the 990 would do all that you want to do with it, but my opinion is that you'd wear it out sooner than you hope.

Plus, you are one big hombre... the 990 is a compact. I am 5'9 - 160... a lot smaller than you. It fits me good.

I have never had a hydrostat or shuttle... all I have ever used is a basic tractor. I am very used to that and it has not been a problem with the FEL. Maybe it is just that I do not know what I am missing? Regardless, this is what I have and I like it just fine. Having to shift gears is easy and not a problem

I have not taken my tractor into the woods. If anything can get stuck, i can do it. In a creek, in the mud, between two trees... I am a pro at it. I vowed to take better care of this tractor as far as cosmetics. But, with a FEL and a mower I think it will be really tough to manuever in a tight place like the woods.

The 990 with PHD is a good combo... you won't have a problem in ordinary soils... but that clay? I don't know. I didn't plant an orchard, I tore one out. pulled out every tree.

My 990 does not have the remotes (for log splitter, backhoe, etc...) cannot remember if it is an option of not.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe some of the other guys can offer their opinions too.

What do you think guys? Does he need a little more tractor than a 990?

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #14  
"What do you think guys? Does he need a little more tractor than a 990?"

That depends...Mike only discusses working those 15 acres plus some trails. He doesn't specify if he's going to work any of the remainder (of the 70 acres).

If only the 15, the 990 might be a good fit...perhaps even a bit big for the orchard (as far as height...no foldable ROPS on the 990).

Mike will have to set on a 990 to see if his substantial frame fits. Something like that is too subjective for a forum response (IMHO).

So, Mike5.56...what are your plans for the rest of your acreage?
And...does the 5.56 stand for your favoriter caliber?

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #15  
Why yes Roy, it does. I have 3 AR-15's that I use for various things, all chambered in 5.56x45.

As far as what I'm going to do with the property, I plan on planting a vineyard, probably starting with an acre, half traminette, and half chamborcin, and a small orchard, consisting of apples, cherries, peaches and possibly a nut tree or three, probably walnut or pecan. I will plant the other 6 ac in a food plot, probably clover and chicory, which is some distance (400 yds) from the other plantings, to give the deer something else to gnaw on besides vines and fruit trees. Probably won't work, but at least I can shoot and eat the deer. I may end up having to fence the vineyard, which is another reason for the PHD attachment. The remainder of the pasture will be bushhogged, except for the area around the house, about half an acre. The woods I will leave to themselves, except what I need for firewood and trails for walking for my better half. I wanted the woods for hunting, both large game and small, and when I depart the pattern, my heirs can sell it off to some developer and make millions. It's only 45 miles out of Nashville, so I expect it will be overrun with housing developments by the time I croak.

I would love to try out a 990, except that my local JD dealers don't have any. They have a boatload of the 3x and 4x series, but I don't particularly care for turbochargers on my tractor, and am leaning toward gears vice HST. I live at 720' MSL, so don't really need the added powerboost or complications from the turbo. The gear tranny's seem to be pretty bulletproof, and if they have a syncro shuttle, seem almost as easy to use as an HST for FEL work, although I'm just speaking from what I've read, and the very limited amount of FEL work that I have done. I also don't want to take on a debt load equivalent to a 3rd world nation when buying a tractor, and the 990 price seems pretty good, even with the CX300 FEL/bucket.

That pretty well sums up my needs, wants and desires for a tractor, such as they are.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #16  
Mike...that's sounds like a great job for a 3320 or 3520 with a power-reverser transmission.
The 3520 would be more then I need (heck....this old 790 of mine is more then I need!). I did try and price a 3320 but didn't want the debt. At the time, I was cutting a field for a neighbor, but since I'm not doing that any longer, I'm glad I didn't buy the machine. However, I was quite impressed with the power-reverser and the versatility of 12 gears forwards and reverse.

Neither of those tractors are turboed and the power-reverser has been around for a while. Both tractors use a Yanmar engine (3 cylinders rather then the 4 cylinder in the 990).

Anyway...there's two possibilities. If your dealer can locate a 990, he might be willing to bring it in (or set you up with a test at another dealer). Can't hurt to ask...

I've got one AR-15...a Rock River Arms. I had a DPMS several years ago, but found it to be too finicky when it came to ammo. The DPMS was set up as a match rifle...I'm just a plinker.
I must say, I do enjoy the RRA AR-15.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #17  
Roy,
I'll drop in the JD dealer and see if he has one of the two models mentioned. If not, I'm sure one of the 3 dealers in a 50 mile radius will have one of the 3 types.

So you like your RRA? That's good. I've got a Colt pre ban, and two Bushmasters. One for furry varmints, one for two legged varmints, and one for High Power Service Rifle competition-the Colt. I've been wondering whether the RRA 2 stage match trigger would be a good retrofit to my Bushmaster social rifle, but I'm unsure as to the long term reliability. I believe in the KISS principle in my defensive arms as well as my tractors.

Thanks for the info, I'll be checking the 3320 and 3520 out soon.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #18  
mike5.56 said:
Roy,
I've been wondering whether the RRA 2 stage match trigger would be a good retrofit to my Bushmaster social rifle, but I'm unsure as to the long term reliability.

I like the two stage trigger, but have heard and read mixed reports on it's durability. I suggest you do more research before swapping over.
I looked at Bushy's and was about this far (..) away from buying a used Amralite.
Just happened to stop buy my favorite gun shop and tried out the RRA Entry Tactical. I liked the trigger (not that I'm particularly sensitive to the quality of a trigger action), the collapsible stock and 16" barrel (the Bushy's and Armalite were both standard stocks and 20" barrels. I'm thinking about going the SBR route and get a 10" barrelled upper. I'm not into Tacticool (too much anyway...got some stuff, but haven't gone Mall Ninja yet) but that shorter barrel would be nice for home defense.

Let us know how you make out with the tractor choices.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance
Mike5.56..... he is six foot five, 250 pounds, and has the guns and ammo to defeat Costa Rica... sounds like one big bad hombre. :)

Mike, I think you will be able to do whatever/all you want with the JD990. You just gotta decide to live with the old fashioned, no frills gears/tranny.

If you do get the 990, you can finance it for 3yrs at zero interest... and if you want to, you can finance the implements into that too for no interest. You can get everything you want and in 3 years it is all paid for... then you are getting to play with your 990 for (almost) free for the rest of your life.

By the way, I went for the 3 year 0.0% interest deal. I put $2225 down (though I think I didn't have to put any down). For the 990, 300CX FEL, SQ720, and BB2072, plus tax... my monthly payment is $553.53

Happy Tractor Hunting!

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #20  
Roy,
I've got a friend over in Memphis that builds all sorts of hi speed, lo drag uppers and AR's. MSTN is the company. Just google those letters in caps and it'll get you to the website. Does alot of SBR's in 5.56 and 6.8SPC. He built one that has a 7" barrel that will shoot MOA. I've been debating that trigger, but I think I'll stick to the stock one for now.

UB63,
Thanks for the info on the 990. I'll be out and about looking for one at the local Deere dealers. I'm sure that I'll be able to live with the straight gear tranny, I was just worried about the size of the work platform. Thanks also for the financing info, sound almost like free money.

Mike