John Deere 990 Cost and Performance

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #1  

UncleBubba63

After months of reading, searching, pricing, browsing, talking, etc... I finally decided on a tractor and took the plunge. I lost track weeks ago the number of tractors I compared, test drove, and almost bought.

In the end, I decided on a new JD 990, 4wd w/ loader and I couldn't be happier. All the time and research paid off. I made a good deal on a great tractor.

The interesting thing to me is that of all the tractors that almost made it home with me, the JD 990 was the one that seemed to be very difficult to find any (truly helpful) information on... A post here and there by a couple satisfied owners (or potential owners) and a bunch of stuff copied from the JD website. Nothing that really helped to sway me.

Really frustrating was trying to find prices. For some reason most of the websites do not advertise the price. it was hard to determine if I was getting a good deal on the 990 and the implements.

So, now that I actually own the 990 and have put several hours of work in, I would like to (hopefully) provide a post that is helpful to potential 990 buyers.

First, COST... here is what I paid for mine:

JD990 - $15896.00
300CX Loader - $3300.00

and for fun:

Frontier 6ft Heavy Duty Box Blade: $775
Squealer (SQ720) Bush Hog w/ slip clutch - $1295

From what I can tell, these are very good prices.

Second, Performance.

I have 40 acres. About 4 acres is my yard, about 2 acres in wild life food plots, about 3 acres in a hay field, 2 acres in fruit trees, and the rest in timber.

So far I have used my tractor to mow, tear out an old orchard, clear some badly grown up areas, pull out some stumps, mow down saplings, grade out the driveway, do some landscaping, pile up trees for burning, and a few other things.

In all of these, the tractor has performed tremendously. The Yanmar engine is quite strong and not an issue.... when mowing, it only bogged down when I hit a huge ant bed. Two inch saplings were a breeze, but a two foot ant bed was a challenge. Understandable.

The loader is taking some time to get used to, but so far I have enjoyed having it and would not buy any tractor without one. It is extremely useful and versatile. The Bush Hog and the Box Blade are really sturdy, rugged, and even I am going to have a hard time tearing those two up.

All in all, this is a very fine tractor and set up. I was worried that I would buy the tractor and find that I should have bought something a little bigger with a little more HP... well, not an issue any more. I cannot think of a single thing that I would want to do around here that this tractor cannot do. Bottom line: it is more than enough tractor for a non-commercial user.

The only thing I have found that I would like to see different is:

1. A step to get up on the right side of the tractor too.
2. some kind of electrical device that would keep the barn cats off my tractor! kidding of course.

Other than that, I am very, very satisfied. I am very glad I got the four wheel drive... you should get that too. Don't fret that the engine is a Yanmar... it is not an issue. You do not need to fill the tires with water or buy wheel weights, the tractor is well balanced and weight is good.

Oh yeah... to achieve 540 rpm on the PTO, the tractor has to run up to 2600 rpms on the engine. That seems high to me. But, it is not a big deal... the engine can easily handle that and water temp stays way down... just seems like that would burn more fuel that necessary... heck, i don't know... just my two cents.

Well, I hope this post helps someone considering a JD 990. Please feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Have a great day and enjoy your tractor or your search for one.

God bless,

Bubba

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #2  
Nice machines, those 990's!

I think they're quite the niche tractor...for the man who wants a simple, no frills tractor.

However, it appears the majority of CUT buyers want "convenience" features such as hydro, cruise control...stuff like that.

I don't agree with that useless crap...

So, UncleBubba...enjoy your new machine!

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #3  
My Uncle has one. Great machine!
I have a JD4300 and understand why there is no step up on the right side. I will jump up on that side to get to the seat quite often. On MANY occassions I have bumped the controller (joystick). If wearing shorts I have often got it caught up in my shorts. It will make the bucket jump when you are not prepared for it. Especially if it has a load in it. Very dangerous if anyone is around. I think if you slip you might grab the throttle lever (not that it would cause any damage), step on the gas, etc. Many of the controllers are on that side. That would be my guess.

Congrats on a GREAT machine. If I were to buy new that is what I would look at.
I do have one question. I could have sworn my Uncles was hydro????? Do they make a 990 with hydro?????

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #4  
UncleBubba63 said:
Really frustrating was trying to find prices. For some reason most of the websites do not advertise the price. it was hard to determine if I was getting a good deal on the 990 and the implements.

I have found that on most products on the Deere site you can "build your own" and that will show the MSRP. 990 page. Use the "Build Your 990" link on the left side of the page.

Enjoy your new tractor... the 90 series Deere's are great machines.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #5  
rico304 said:
I do have one question. I could have sworn my Uncles was hydro????? Do they make a 990 with hydro?????

Nope...no hydro available on the 990.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #6  
UncleBubba63:

Congratulations on your new JD990 :D! Use it well and safely :). Now we can all help you spend even more money on additional attachments :cool:. Jay :D

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance
Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words. I like this site because everyone seems really cool.

As for implements/attachments...

I think I will spring for a rake. I had one a few years ago and let it go as part of the deal on a Ford. I miss that.

I also am thinking of getting that "quick attach" option so it is a little easier to change the attachments. I used to be able to just jerk the blade or mower where I needed it to be... even pick it up a hair to put in a pin. Those days are over and I have more money than muscle.

I think a set of forks would be fun too.

Anybody have any experience with the iMatch thing?

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #8  
Congrats-1.gif
On your new purchase &
Welcome-18-june.gif
to the site
BTW
wwp.gif

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #9  
UncleBubba63,
I'm still looking for a tractor, and like yourself have had difficulty in finding info on the 990. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. I have 70 ac, 15 of which is pasture. I plan on putting in a small orchard and vineyard on the first 9 ac, and using the second 6 ac pasture as a food plot.

What are you using for ground engagement to plow the food plot, and how has the 990 handled it?

Is the gear tranny hard to get used to when using the FEL, and does the 990 have a syncro shuttle shift, and if not how difficult is it to go from forward to reverse when doing FEL work?

How comfortable is the work platform? My local Deere dealers don't have any 990's so it's hard to find out how ergonomic it would be. I'm 6'4" and weigh 250, so a rather large area is required.

How does the 990 maneuver in the woods? I'm going to be cutting trails in my timber, so it is kind of important that the tractor be somewhat nimble.

Have you used a posthole digger to plant your orchard, and was it difficult? My property has sort of a rocky clay soil, and can be a bear, at least when trying to pull out the auger on a handheld PHD (no reverse).

Does the 990 have a rear hydraulic option for a logsplitter or chipper?

Sorry for the 40 questions, but I like the idea of a basic tractor without alot of bells and whistles. I have a JD 455 with a 22 HP Yanmar, so I'm familiar with the motors made by them, and they're excellent. Thanks.

/ John Deere 990 Cost and Performance #10  
rico304 said:
My Uncle has one. Great machine!
I have a JD4300 and understand why there is no step up on the right side. I will jump up on that side to get to the seat quite often. On MANY occassions I have bumped the controller (joystick). If wearing shorts I have often got it caught up in my shorts. It will make the bucket jump when you are not prepared for it. Especially if it has a load in it. Very dangerous if anyone is around. I think if you slip you might grab the throttle lever (not that it would cause any damage), step on the gas, etc. Many of the controllers are on that side. That would be my guess.

Congrats on a GREAT machine. If I were to buy new that is what I would look at.

Those JD 990s must be friggin stupendous.
Someone just paid $101,100 for on a 2003 990 4WD with a 430 FEL on eBay

eBay: 2003 JOHN DEERE 990 4WD COMPACT TRACTOR 430 LOADER (item 330144918570 end time Jul-08-07 05:14:54 PDT)

My tractor blue book says they have a 4-cyl Yanmar engine (35 hp pto) and are have an average resale value around $12K.

Maybe there's something about the 2003 model that makes it so valuable. Maybe eBay made a typo. Maybe some bidders are nuts.