weight of tractor on septic/well systems

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #1  

dghecas

I'm looking to trade up from my subcompact tractor to something that will be a little stronger/quicker for snow removal, rotary cutting the 3 acre meadow three times per year and various backhoe projects. I would still like to use the new tractor to cut the 1 1/2 acre of grass around my house with a rear finish-cut mower. I'm looking at Kubota, JD and NH models that weigh 1900lbs to 3500lbs. Not sure if the weight of the larger tractors (compared to what I am using now...1600lbs) will trash my septic system or well. I only have 7 acres with a long dirveway. Would like to hear any educated thoughts out there regarding weight of tractors rolling over septics and wells.

Don't even know where else I could ask this question. Thanks!

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #2  
dunno about wells, don't go over the wellhead, but septics aren't an issue
Maybe if you tractor weighed over 10,000lbs, but otherwise, piffle

obviously don't go on it when it's all wet and such, but I go over lots of septics all the time. A properly built septic should be able to handle that.

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #3  
I agree that a tractor in your weight range of 3500# would be no problem. I have regularly run my Mahindra 2615 w/ loader over my septic and leach field for 4 years now without problem.

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #4  
dghecas:

Welcome to TBN :D!. I would not worry about a 3,500 pound tractor running over your septic and/or well systems. I probably weigh close to 3500 pounds with weighted tires and attachments and I have not crushed anything yet. I do tend to stay off my lawn and fields when it is wet. Jay

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #5  
dghecas said:
I'm looking to trade up from my subcompact tractor to something that will be a little stronger/quicker for snow removal, rotary cutting the 3 acre meadow three times per year and various backhoe projects. I would still like to use the new tractor to cut the 1 1/2 acre of grass around my house with a rear finish-cut mower. I'm looking at Kubota, JD and NH models that weigh 1900lbs to 3500lbs. Not sure if the weight of the larger tractors (compared to what I am using now...1600lbs) will trash my septic system or well. I only have 7 acres with a long dirveway. Would like to hear any educated thoughts out there regarding weight of tractors rolling over septics and wells.

Don't even know where else I could ask this question. Thanks!

The contractor who installed my septic system used a Cat 420D TLB weighing over 12,000 lb. Mike, the operator, drove back and forth over the leach field while backfilling and grading the trench without damaging the pipe in the ground.
Don't think a puny 3500 lb is going to cause you any trouble unless your septic/well system has design problems.

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0007 (Small).JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCF0074-small.jpg
    DSCF0074-small.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 828
   / weight of tractor on septic/well systems #6  
While driving over the field is one thing I WOULD NOT drive a tractor of any size over the tank. I have seen many tractors inside of septic tanks that were in use and it is not a nice way to end the day. Most septic tanks only have a 2 to 4" lid and they will break with the weight of a tractor.

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #7  
Jack hit the nail on the head... you gotta differentiate between the tank and drain field lines.

My opinion is that you can drive whatever you want over the drain field without a problem... but if you drive over the tank you're gonna get lucky only a couple times.

I do drive my riding lawn mower over the tank but like my grandfather used to say, "if you are gonna drive the mower over the septic tank, weigh yourself first so I know how much scoop out when you fall in." If he said it once he said it a hundred times. :D

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #8  
My JD 4200 weighs in around 3,500# to 4,000# depending on what implements I'm using, and I haven't had a problem driving on my leach field. I'll mow around the tank; but I won't drive on the concrete manhole covers. If your septic tank doesn't have a lot of cover on it, then I would be leery of driving the tractor over it.

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #9  
I stay away from my tank lid. The drain field I don't worry about.
David from jax

/ weight of tractor on septic/well systems #10  
I think you've got to differentiate between older systems and newer systems... and the plain fact that many homeowners... especially recent buyers... are not totally or even well aware of where their system's components are located. I would never drive over tanks or D-boxes... and over leach fields only with a location plan and/or full waiver of responsibility.

My luck is just not that good. :eek:

Dougster