Looked and finally bought

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Looked and finally bought #1  

pholt

Banned
I have lived on a farm my whole life, so of course I was on one side of the fence and our side was "red". My dad has owned so many Massey Ferguson and Case Tractors, so I grew up with quality. John Deere is good also, but they are proud of it. And John Deere is not what they were 40 yeras ago, so dont start that. Anyway I personally think the Perkins Diesel is the best diesel made, I am a cummins guy but they cant hold a stick to a perkins. WE have 3 with 9000 hours on original engines.

My main point, I own a landscape and custom mowing company. I bought a 2001 Agricat to do finish mowing jobs, our current tractors are all 90 H.P and above and are too big. The Agricat though crude was a great VERY powerfull and VERY VERY VERY fuel efficient machine, but it would not pull a 16' Tri-Plex mower I bought, it would but it was hard.

So I took on the task of finding the "right" tractor. I went and drove EVERYTHING and I told all of them I did not want to know the price. I drove the (Kubota, Montana, Mahindra, Tym, Massey, NH, John Deer) all in the 45 h.p range, cab and 4x4. Long story short.

John Deere Nice, but too small, and did not like the hydro.
New Holland (deluxe) Super nice, very small, floor was not flat, did not like hydro, tons of bells though.SUPER SMALL, Cab made me feel captive.
Kubota, very nice Liked most everything but noisy engine, and lack of standard options.
Mahindra drove 50 h.p cummins this was the nicest of ALL of the tractors, it was smooth as silk and the control setup was John Deere like on one side and very very nice. But more expensive and much heavier.
Montana, crude in design, lacked the estetics of the others, fit and finish was not as good and layout was not as good. Did not fit the driver well.
Massey: Nice great motor though not Perkins, Did not like A/C power and lack of remotes. Did not like driver fit.
Tym: Did not like Noisey Kubota, though the cab was laid out nice, had a flat floor, GREAT A/C, controls were not on one side, but were very usable, came with GREAT Humpeloc front end loader, 3 sets of remotes, stereo, R4's and a 5 year warranty.

Anyway you can see which tractor I chose, I was VERY suprised, after I decided on the TYM I actually went back and drove the other again. The TYM is by far a better machine for the MONEY. The New Holland (deluxe) is a SUPER nice machine, so is the deere, but the TYM was almost 5k cheaper with a better warranty, better engine and better stats. I bought my 451 and I am 100% pleased, the A/C is important to me since I am in Oklahoma and they say it will freeze you out of the cab, so we will see. It is a nice machine and I bought a 07 and it is a LOT nicer than the 06 models. The other manufactures here in the "US" better step up.

Just wanted to share my 3 month search from a un-biased customer. Please ignore the spelling and typo's.

PS, my 01 Agricat 35 h.p 4x4 was a AWSOME very crude but AWSOME little work horse, well worth every dime I paid

/ Looked and finally bought #2  
Welcome to TBN. Great post, I like the way you did your homework, researched the machines, drove, and made your decision. Now, if you could post some pics. Sounds like a great tractor.

/ Looked and finally bought
Here you Go, my Agricat, and my new 451

Attachments

• 20700134657_1184213619777.JPG
    20700134657_1184213619777.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 697
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 656
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 570
I want to also explain the fit, if you notice on the tym, the sterring colum contains thh throttle and the Shuttle and the PTO, and this Whole column, is tiltable. This brings 90% of the controls you need into your lap, you tilt the column via a foot switch, so if you operate a tractor long days like me, you stay put up right in the seat and the controls are at your finger tips, you do not have to lean way over to switch, this was a major problem with the montana tractor. I can say one thing TYM is trying to obtain a great fit. the left Sub shifter is too cloose to your leg, but at least they thought ahead and the close position is HIGH. I never thought I would say it but I LOVE the automatic PTO, what a great invention, now I hope it does not break, but with a 5 year warranty, I guess I do not worry. Also the Humpeloc has Skid Steer quick attach, that is a great bonus, and the loader no kidding goes on in off in less than 2 minuest it is very easy.

Negative, the tractor is VERY front heavy, no weight in rear as most new tractors. I wonder if TYM makes wheel weights. I dont like fluid filled tires.

One more complaint, or wish I had, if the tractor had arm rest, I think I would sleep in it. TYM heard the comliants, "you need a cloth seat in a cabbed tractor, the 07 has a cloth seat". Now armrest. Oh the power steering is NOISY, it has a independent pump which is GREAT, but the orbital valve is noisey as can be. Oh and the Hydraulic seat is one of the BEST I HAVE EVER SET IN AND THAT RIVALS THE $1000.00 SEATS IN OUR BIG MASSEY'S... NO KIDDDING, IT CAN ACTUALLY SUPPORT A 200LB MAN AND NOT BOTTOM.

One more complain the rear lift does not go low enough, the finish mower you see on that tractor is a Buhler 72, and the front wheels are off the groun 80% of the time and that is as low as it will go. I do not like that. Also cab view rivals HIgh end John Deere and Massey cabs, with curved rear windows and concaved front. Massey makes a cheaper line of tractors with flat glass. This is a PLUS.

Sorry for the continuations.. Just keep thinking of stuff.

/ Looked and finally bought #6  
Pholt,

Very interesting posts! You really seem like a fair and balanced person (you work for Fox news?).

Most folks don't list out the nagging little things they honestly don't like about their brand new tractor. It sure is refreshing. From your original post, it does seem like the Big 3 need to step it up a notch. Think I'll vist the TYM web site and check them out...

Welcome to TBN and keep sharing your wonderful posts!

jb

edit - I did visit the TYM page. Nice machines, but the hydraulic capacity seems to be quite limited. I wonder why they didn't put larger pumps on?

/ Looked and finally bought #7  
pholt said:
I want to also explain the fit, if you notice on the tym, the sterring colum contains thh throttle and the Shuttle and the PTO, and this Whole column, is tiltable. This brings 90% of the controls you need into your lap, you tilt the column via a foot switch, so if you operate a tractor long days like me, you stay put up right in the seat and the controls are at your finger tips, you do not have to lean way over to switch, this was a major problem with the montana tractor. I can say one thing TYM is trying to obtain a great fit. the left Sub shifter is too cloose to your leg, but at least they thought ahead and the close position is HIGH. I never thought I would say it but I LOVE the automatic PTO, what a great invention, now I hope it does not break, but with a 5 year warranty, I guess I do not worry. Also the Humpeloc has Skid Steer quick attach, that is a great bonus, and the loader no kidding goes on in off in less than 2 minuest it is very easy.

Negative, the tractor is VERY front heavy, no weight in rear as most new tractors. I wonder if TYM makes wheel weights. I dont like fluid filled tires.

Pholt,
For those of us less enlightened, what is an automatic PTO?

/ Looked and finally bought #8  
Nice looking tractor. Cab looks slick. Something I noticed that I didn't like is that the loader looks very petite. The FEL arms look very thin & light. Maybe they're thicker walled steel to make up for it.

One thing I notice that gets me to buy almost any type of equipment over another brand (so long as they're otherwise pretty similar) is what the manufacturer puts "in your hands". I'm big on steering wheel feel, control lever knobs, fingertip reach for knobs & switches and a GREAT SEAT! That's where you and I think alike. A great SEAT will help me look past something else I don't like. The older I get, the more I value COMFORT. After all, it's my aching body that sits in that seat and it darn well better be comfy.

$5,000 savings is a lot of money. I respect a guy who will buy a tractor from Korea or China. I need at least Japan, Europe or USA on mine, but that's just my worthless point of view. I got called a "myopic racist" on another website for saying that. :)

I hope it works out for you!

edit - I did visit the TYM page. Nice machines, but the hydraulic capacity seems to be quite limited. I wonder why they didn't put larger pumps on?[/QUOTE]

You know that was a concern of mine also, but it has a higher hitch lift capacity than most, comparable tractors. Also I have a GREAT dealer and he said most of the import class tractors, are under rated, Also notes on my below comparison, the TYM is a Larger tractor than the other, not much but a little and the weight shows it, it out weights the Deere by almost 1k. After I looked I was amazed by all most all of the manufactures, how many things were options:!!!!!

Tym items that sold me that were standard:
Good lift capacity
independent steering pump.
Good weight, not a light weight but not too heavy
4 cylinder Kubota
2 speed PTO (most do not have this)
Full auto pto (most do not have this)
16x16 (most do not have this)
Draft Control (few had this)
R4 tires as standard
Lift controls in back
3 sets of remotes
protected cab lighting
GREAT SEAT
Stereo
Air And Heat
Lift control for front end loader that was comfortable (montana needs to improve there fit)
Oh Better Price
4.65 financing for 72 months if you wanted it.
oh and the 5 year warranty!!!

All lift Weights at 24"

Tym 451 45h.p =2105lbs
Weight: 4369
Cylinders: 4 (huge plus for me):)
GPM: 10.4 Realistic 7.8
Steering Pump: 3.2
Remotes: 3 sets standard
Draft standard
16 speed shuttle
(I honestly could not think of any option this tractor did not come with, it even has remote lift controls at the back, they do not advertise it, but it does)( I keep finding things I like)

this machines was also $5,000 more than the TYM
Massey 533 50h.p =2035lbs
Weight: 4721
Cylinders: 3:mad:
GPM: 18.9 Realistic 13.4
Shared pump
Remotes optional
16 speed shuttle

this machines was also $6,000 more than the TYM with the same engine
Kubota 4740 47h.p =2760lbs
Weight: 3671
Cylinders: 4:)
GPM: 14.7 Realistic 9.8
Steering Pump:4.9
Remotes optional
DRAFT OPTIONAL
only 12 speed
(Kubota makes a great machine but one thing I have learned is that EVERYTHING is optional, that turned me off)

this machines was also $9,000 more than the TYM
John Deere 3720 44h.p =2200lbs
Weight: 3570
Cylinders: 3:mad:
GPM: 13.9 Realistic 9.5
Steering Pump:5.3
Remotes optional
DRAFT standard

THIS IS THERE BOOMER SERIES, THAT IS CRAZY EXPENSIVE. this machines was also $7,000 more than the TYM

New Holland TC48DA 48h.p=3465lbs (WOW)
Weight: 4260
GPM: 15 Realistic 12
Steering Pump:5.5
Remotes standard
DRAFT standard
Hydro

(Now I have to put my input in here, they say it can lift 90% of it's own weight, now now now. I have a 90 H.P Massey 4x4 that makes all of these look like cracker boxes and it has a tough time lifting 3800, with lift arms TWICE the size of these machines.

Montana 4940c 49h.p=3197 (WOW)
Weight: 5208 (This weighs enough to move that around)
GPM: 12.87 Realistic 8.43
Steering Pump:shared
Remotes 2 optional
DRAFT standard
Note: Tym makes several of Montana's tractors

Branson 6530 65h.p=2580 :mad: (The cummins was butter smooth)
Weight: 6038
GPM: 12.0 Realistic 8.0
Steering Pump:shared
Remotes 2 optional
DRAFT standard

I will be honest I wanted the Massey, but the perkins was not available in the size I wanted, the second choice was The Montana, but the TYM just won in to many catagories. Now after driving them all, if I wanted to spend about 6k more I would have bought the Branson, if I needed a bigger tractor, is was the Lincoln of all of them, but the stats were weak? It was also a LARGE tractor.

How and why I choose the tym, now lest see it hold up. I am hooking my Service Rhino 72" GYRO HD Mower up to it today, if it can first lift it off the ground and then turn the 200lb set of blades, it will prove itself to me. My Agricat would not lift the mower off the ground!!! The GR72 is 1600lbs, but it is hanging back there 9', it is a load on any machine.

have a great day guys, out to mow in A/C comfort, that is nice. Trying to beat the rain here in Oklahoma, man we have had enough!!!

Last edited:
rox said:
Pholt,
For those of us less enlightened, what is an automatic PTO?

Ok, you have 3 choices, off, on, auto
And you have a push button for the pto.
Off, you turn the pto on via the button and can control it with the 2 stage clutch.
On, you turn the pto on via the button and the clutch does not turn it off
Auto, works just like Off, but it turns the pto off when you raise the lift up all the way.

I did not think I would like this but, while mowing it is nice to kick in the clutch and not turn off the pto.

Status
Not open for further replies.