Tractor Sizing Tractor size?

/ Tractor size? #1  

whithunter

I 've been reading on this site for some time now and finally decided to post. This is a great site with lots of great information. I have several questions regarding tractor size and implement size. I currently own a 45 hp tractor that works fine for my smaller fields and plots however I struggle with my bigger fields for obvious reasons. I am now looking at buying a bigger older tractor that I will use just on my bigger fields. I don't want something that is going to break the bank though. The fields vary from sandy loam to red clay and range from 10 to 20 acres in size. I would like to buy a tractor that will be powerful enough to pull a fairly heavy set of pull-type harrows. I would like the harrows to be heavy enough to sink into the red clay without having to make 4-5 passes. How many hp. would I need to pull a set of heavy harrows say 9'6" in width? Can anyone recommend an older tractor that would do well and is fairly easy to get parts for? I also need to be able to move the tractor and harrows on a trailer because the fields are in two different locations. Thank you in advance.

/ Tractor size? #2  
My initial reaction to what you seem to want wold be 60 to 75 HP in a 2wd model. By "older", what exactly do you mean? In MY mind, older is anything mid 60's to late 80's. I've got a few favorites in that range.

Deere; 2030 or 2630 ,2440 or 2640 (60 and 70 hp) Parts are not a big issue with Deere's. They are EXPENSIVE, but readily available.

Massey FErguson; 175/180, 265,275 (65 to 75 hp) Perkins diesels are second to none in longevity and economy of operation. These tractors were extremely popular, hence still common. Parts are easy to come by. AGCO/MF parts are among the most affordable.

Ford; 5000 series (5000/5600/ect) (67+hp) Good solid tractor, parts are plentiful, IMHO, the best tractor Ford ever built.

These models were all available as "row crop utility" tractors. (28" or 30" rear wheels, step-through lower chassis configuration) They are not GIANT tractors. That will help with hauling.

There's literally hundreds of other choices. These are tractors I have some experience with and can recommend highly.

/ Tractor size? #3  
I've been pretty impressed with the AC D19 and IH 406 machines I've seen my landlord using on his 120 acres over the past several years. (and yes, both have loaders and "wide" front wheels!)
He's retired and does most of the maintenance on them himself and other than the initial rash of problems he had with each one the first year they came home from auction, they've been real workhorses -- but that's a danger you run into on any used machine, be it a tractor, car, or chainsaw.

I don't know what you have for trailer, but either of these would probably be fine on as small as a 7' wide 10k rated tandem trailer - but don't quote me on that, I'm no expert there! ;)

I also like the fact that around here you can pick up stuff in this size range under $5000 pretty consistently.

/ Tractor size? #4  
Any Kubota CUT will do the job you require!

:p :D

Good luck in your quest and don't forget to post pics when you find it.

Podunk

/ Tractor size?
Thanks for the responses. Farmwithjunk, yes by older that is what I was thinking. I would like to pull a set of off-set harrows in the 9ft range if possible. Something that will really cut into the hard ground. So the 60 to 75hp range in a 2-wheel drive tractor will be plenty? Thanks again

/ Tractor size? #6  
whithunter said:
Thanks for the responses. Farmwithjunk, yes by older that is what I was thinking. I would like to pull a set of off-set harrows in the 9ft range if possible. Something that will really cut into the hard ground. So the 60 to 75hp range in a 2-wheel drive tractor will be plenty? Thanks again

Not sure if you'll be able to trailer any tractor big enough to do what you are asking. I'd say look for a White 2/85,Ford 6600-7600,MF 1080-1085,AC 190,IH 806. I'd say 70 pto hp on the low side.

/ Tractor size? #7  
I'd have to agree with FWJ.. especially on the MF/Ford selections.. I'm sure the deere he mentioned are fine too I've had lots of hours on a 2240 which is a 'lil' brother to the 2440..

The larger fords like 66XX and 76XX will be fine to.. but get harder to haul due to weight and size. In that range.. the case 1xxx, and maf 1100/1300 series walk in with even bigger plow and disc coverage due tot heir hp.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Tractor size? #8  
I would agree with the other posters that you need something around 60 - 70 hp. A Massey Ferguson 175 / 185 would be good and should be transportable on a trailer. A Ford 5000 would also be easy to transport. A slightly newer tractor would be a Ford 6600 or maybe even 6610. A JD 3130 / 3140 is also another possibility but would be getting a bit big for a trailer. I can reccomend the Masseys highly as we use older MF's everyday on the farm.

/ Tractor size? #9  
Grrrr said:
I would agree with the other posters that you need something around 60 - 70 hp. A Massey Ferguson 175 / 185 would be good and should be transportable on a trailer. A Ford 5000 would also be easy to transport. A slightly newer tractor would be a Ford 6600 or maybe even 6610. A JD 3130 / 3140 is also another possibility but would be getting a bit big for a trailer. I can reccomend the Masseys highly as we use older MF's everyday on the farm.

I'm scouring the countryside for a 265 Massey. At the time they were new, smaller or bigger tractors were more popular. So, not a lot of them to begin with. I'd settle for a pristine 255. No one will ever convince me that there was a better line of engines than the Perkins 3 and 4 cylinders of the 60's, 70's and 80's.

/ Tractor size? #10  
I couldn't agree with you more FWJ, those Perkins must be some of the most reliable egines ever. Our next door neighbours have a couple of old Masseys they farm with and they all look rough but they never fail to start and put in a hard days work. Do you have the Massey Ferguson 500 series in the USA?