What to buy for 200 acres

/ What to buy for 200 acres
I'm in a similar situation. I have 375 acres, 80% woods the rest fields. I rent out the crop fields to a local farmer. With the other pastures I've installed wetlands and food plots. Also have 1/2 mile lane to maintain and a couple of ponds. As far as cleaning out the ponds, depending on size, I STRONGLY recommend that you find a local contractor with the right experience and right size equipment for the job. There is no size tractor that can compete with a large tract loader and dozer.

For me, I will be ordering a JD 4710 with HST and Bush Hog Model 278 pull-type offset 8' brush hog for maintaining the lane and mowing the fields. The HST is a real nice feature when moving through the woods because you can control your speed more precicely and helps with manuverablity.

I've researched this project over the last 18 months. Have looked at AG tractors (JD5420) and decided it's too big. Also, the implements all cost more. Essentially I mow a lot of grass and the 4710 will handle all of that. The only reason I would look at AG tractor is if I plan to plant the fields (80 acres) I rent out. Then I would need something to pull the larger plows and discs and a compact tractor would not work.

In terms of burying power lines, I've done that too. I found it much more economical to rent a mini excevator for $250/day then to buy a backhoe for the tractor. I also ditched my 1/2 mile lane on both sides with the excevator.

I've gone through most of what you want to do. Hope this helps.

/ What to buy for 200 acres #12  
GreenAcres --

You sound like you have a place just like mine. In my case, it's 158 acres -- 50 acres woods, 10 swamp, rest open pasture and cropland. I'm in the market for a JD4700 or 4710. Engine HP is 48 with 40.5 at the PTO with HST. I plan on doing a bit of everything you want to do --- removing old fieldstone walls, building new fieldstone walls, hedgerow removal, bush hogging, firewood harvest, stump removal, clearing and cleaning up old logging trails, snowplowing, etc. I wanted the largest, most powerful CUT that JD makes -- that's the 4700/4710. I've thought of some of the JD 5000 series models. While I'd appreciate the extra HP these machines have, these are just plain bigger machines that I think I would have a difficult time with in negotiating through the old logging trails. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bob Ancar
Cambridge, NY