Looking for 85 hp tractor

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #1  

vem

I need approximately 85 hp tractor for plowing snow and mowing pastures. There are so many tractors out there that I was hoping someone could help me narrow my search down. Of course must have loader, 4wd, and a cab. Looking to spend around $30k for a good used one. Thanks for your help.

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #2  
It may be a matter of shopping till you find the right tractor for yourself.

Patience is a good characteristic for this type of shopping. :D :D

The make of tractor may be incidental to what your needs and budget are.:D

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #3  
When ever buying used be sure there is a dealer near by for assistance. Don't be the first guy in the state to own a make of a tractor.

We have people that we can't always help with parts for some makes. We've seen what looks like normal parts that are built just off the normal sizes meaning having to get to a dealer no matter what the distance.

Don't buy one with a lot of modifications unless they might be benificial to you.

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #4  
Alot of work can be doen with tractors without 4wd, but if you must have 4wd then most of these options are out but if you can do what you need to with an older tractor without 4wd then an International 886, 806 or 706, AC175-AC190, JD 3020 or 4020, Massey Ferguson 175, 185, 275 or 285 or Ford 5000-8000 or 5610, 6610, or 7610 would all be good tractors capable of any type of utility work and are pretty durable machines. White would also be a good brand to look at, parts for Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, and White can all be picked up at an Agco dealer. Like Art said if it's got alot of modifications it might be better to walk away (unless beneficial), especially if there are lots of welds on steering or lifting components.

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #5  
So many good tractors in this class Ford 56,66,76,77 and 10 series and 40 series and blue would be my choice ,but 30'40'50'55series deeres ,MF 200'300,2000,3000 series ( be careful with 3000 series trannies )Auto's were better than data's , Dynashift was excellent , 3080 datatronic being a particular money pit ,I would take any IH too short of a hydro 84 or 844 .
Russian stuff (belarus,Zetor,Universal is best avoided , It works but really do not stand hard work like a main brand .

Last edited:
   / Looking for 85 hp tractor #6  
My choice would be a 6610s or 7610s.. late 90's..

Soundguy

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #7  
vem said:
I need approximately 85 hp tractor for plowing snow and mowing pastures. There are so many tractors out there that I was hoping someone could help me narrow my search down. Of course must have loader, 4wd, and a cab. Looking to spend around $30k for a good used one. Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE

A cab, FEL and 4WD limits you to something like a 1990 JD 2955 which has an average retail value (dealer's price for a clean tractor) around $24000 without the FEL. Figure the FEL for that size tractor will be in the $4-5K range which brings you pretty close to your $30K budget limit. You may be able to do better in a private sale rather that off a dealer's lot.

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #8  
For that money, your best bet is buying a good used unit. You can get more tractor for less money. If you let the bigger dealers know what you want, most already know what's coming in on trade and will call you.

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #9  
I'm not sure how long the deal ran, but back in the early spring, several Deere dealers in this general area were running a promo on a 5603 (82pto hp), 4wd, cab, and loader for a REALLY nice price of $36,000. (Almost $6000 under list for the base tractor) If they could make that deal then, they MIGHT make it now. So for just a tick over your budget price, you might get NEW with warranty.

/ Looking for 85 hp tractor #10  
That might even make a foton setup look pale!

Soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
I'm not sure how long the deal ran, but back in the early spring, several Deere dealers in this general area were running a promo on a 5603 (82pto hp), 4wd, cab, and loader for a REALLY nice price of $36,000. (Almost $6000 under list for the base tractor) If they could make that deal then, they MIGHT make it now. So for just a tick over your budget price, you might get NEW with warranty.