FEL or not (for now)

/ FEL or not (for now)
Re: FEL or not (for now)-or Will it ever get done?

Wow what a deal Von! Thats exacly what I'm hoping to come across. An i'm willing to drive a ways to get one. 2710 and 2910 aren't that old though, and most folks that get em hang on to them. The one dealer i talked to had me at 900 difference between the 2710 and 2910. I know with my 25hp 1952 8N the ole brush hog would bog down on me purty easy (don't know what hp the 8N was at the 3ph). the 2910 has 22 hp at the 3ph which is 2 more than the 2710. So i thought 2910 would be worth the difference; but if i found a deal like you did on a 2710 I'd swoop on that as fast as i could. The only used ones I'm leary of are the ones used by a business. No way to tell how many operators and how it was treated. I'd assume, it was treated like a rental car or something that the user doesn't care about since they are just using it that day or week ....
Nice to know there is deals out there like that though. Maybe this coming april will be lucky for me that way too!
Congrats on your deal, and thanks for sharing.
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #22  

<font color=blue>...with my 25hp 1952 8N the ole brush hog would bog down on me purty easy ...</font color=blue>

I know you don't want to hear this but...

Using any B series Kubota with your brush hog will be "worse" than your Ford 8N... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

If you want better brush hog performance than your current 8N... you have to look at the "L" series Kubota's...

Sorry...

{There is absolutely no substitute for cubic inches and torque... except more cid and torque...}

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ FEL or not (for now) #23  

Moon, Check out Carver for used ones as well, he has some great prices on them all the time! I use a 5ft. cutter behide mine with no problems at all! remember there is a big difference from diesel and that old gas burner that you had! I had a 59' Oliver 550 which was about 43hp at the PTO. My first Kubota (b8200HST) seemed to have twice the power as the old oliver! There are 4 things I think should be on all tractors, at least any that I own!1. Must have FEL!2. Must be hydro! (anyone who says you don't need it doesn't own one)3. Must be 4WD! 4. must have power steering! (need it with the FEL)I won't own a tractor without these four thing on it!

/ FEL or not (for now) #24  
Moon -- In the debate over whether the extra cost of the 2910 over the 2710 is worth it...I tested both before settling on an L3010. The one place where I really noticed the extra horses was going up hills. The 2910 handled them much better. Just mentioned this since you have some hills on your land...but both are fine tractors.

Pete

/ FEL or not (for now) #25  
<font color=blue>one place where I really noticed the extra horses was going up hills</font color=blue>

Pete, that's interesting. I've never driven a B2910, but my B2710 has never hesitated to climb any hill I had nerve enough to climb.

/ FEL or not (for now) #26  
Pete, that's interesting. I've never driven a B2910, but my B2710 has never hesitated to climb any hill I had nerve enough to climb.
Bird

You know it, Brother.....these tractors will do alot more then we will!

/ FEL or not (for now)
Very timely post Pete. I called on a 2710 advertised on www.traderonline.com just today, but it was new one. But they had a hydrostat L3010 for less than the 2710 is new. Would the L3010 be too big to mow with? The dealer said it weighs 1000 pounds more than the b2710. That sounds good to me, but mowing is my #1 reason for buying; would the L be as manuverable as the b series. I've never looked for comparisons on these before but i guess i'll start now.

Von, your requirments are exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't even know the L series came with the hydrostat transmission option. ...now i have more information to digest. I love the hunt though! : )
Thanks again for all the help guys!
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #28  
The L3010 is nowhere near as manuverable as the 27/2910. I mow with mine and it does a fine job, but unlike you it's not my number one job. The L3010 doesn't climb as well as the 2910. All that extra mass slows her down a bit. The 2910 is lighter with nearly as much HP...better climber.

Do you need a Grande L series tractor? Not for mowing. I use it on my 150 hillside acres for trail maintenance, logging, etc. Hard work that made that extra size and weight very attractive. When logging, it's nice to have a tractor that outweighs the log you're winching in. But the B27/2910 would drive circles around my L3010 in other conditions.

Like Bird said, these tractors will climb and do most anything you ask of them. Some more quickly than others, but within reason they all get you there.

Pete

/ FEL or not (for now)

from John's post:
"Using any B series Kubota with your brush hog will be "worse" than your Ford 8N... "

I had a 5' brush hog on the ole 8N (i sold both the 8N and the brush hog a few years ago); but now I have a 4' brush hog I had tried to use with a 17 hp Mitsubushi 2wd tractor. This set up didn't work too well either. So, i've since sold the Misu and kept the brush hog for use with whatever compact tractor i end up with. So, with a 4' hog on a 2710 or 2910 i am expecting better performance than my 8N did with the 5'. Does this seem reasonable to you?

I don't know what the "Grande" L series is. But after reading the post from Pete, I don't think the L series is what I'm after. Although I do plan to clean up lots of downed lumber, I suppose I'll just have to saw the logs shorter so that i can handle em with a B series tractor. The logging part is 4th on my priority list for why i'm buying a 4wd tractor, with mowing, brush hoging and blade (both blade and box scraper) all above logging. So, i think i'm on the right track.
Thanks again guys;
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #30  
Moon,
I realize that you've already stated your preference for a MMM and if you have a lot of trees and other obstacles to mow around, that's probably a good decision. I throw this out only as an attempt to help you figure out a way to get your fel and still meet your budget. I know nothing about Kubota pricing, so the amounts I'm talking about are J.D. prices. When I bought my 4400, I looked at the prices for a MMM vs. a RMM. A 72" Deere MMM lists for a bit more than $2700.00. I opted to go with an aftermarket RMM, a King Kutter 72" mower, which cost just over $1000.00. That's a savings of $1700.00 which, if the Kubota prices are comparable to the Deere prices, could be applied to the cost of an fel, thus lowering the additional amount your tractor "package" would be costing you. Plus, as others have said, the RMM would eliminate much of your concerns about ease of removing/installing the MMM.

Hoss