FEL or not (for now)

/ FEL or not (for now) #1  

Moon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61
Hi all,
Here’s another lurker coming out. Been a frequent visitor of TBN since last November. Great site with lots of help for most tractor newbies like me. I’ve gleaned a whole lot of information from past post of all you ole pros, and learned plenty from other newbies asking questions I hadn’t even thought of yet. Cool site!!! Thanks yall!!!
Now for a little background on me. I have 50 acres, very hilly rocky terrain is SE Ohio right on the Ohio river. Mow approx 5 acres. Need something to do the mowing (#1 priority) and brush hog 3 acre flat (one steep hill away from my yard) and maintain approx 3 miles of 4 wheeler trails, and ¾ mile of oil well road (very hilly and very rutted at present; but I’ll have it dozed before do any maintaining). Also have a couple acre hill behind the house I'd like to be able to brush hog a couple times a year. I'd use a FEL for hauling rock to our river frontage to slow down erosion, and for cleaning up downed lumber, which is spread throughout 85% of the property (wooded but recently logged).

I’m set on one of the big 3 and leaning real hard toward Orange. I have to have something to accomplish the majority of the open field mowing. A 72” mid mount deck would be ideal, but I could get by with 60” if it’s a whole lot easier to remove it or attach the deck. I have a 4’ brush hog I plan to use with whatever tractor I get. My problem is cash. I’d really like to get the 2910 and either the 60” or 72” mmm, 5’ blade, 4’ or 5’ box scraper. A FEL would be really useful now, but I can do without it for a year or two if needbe. My issue is should I settle and get a B7500 or B2410 w/ FEL, mmm, blade and box. Or get the 2910 and everything but the FEL. I guessing I could get the FEL in a year or two. Today, I’m leaning toward waiting on the FEL and getting the 2910. Then I read posts of all the work accomplished by bx2200’s, b7500’s and b2410’s and think I could do with one of those.

Any advice appreciated;
Thanks yall;
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #2  
I've always been one to buy used..to get away from an initial higher cost and first year depreciation.
I've also found that careful selection of used equipment (including vehicles) have got me more then I could afford new (is a used Caddy a better car then a new Chevy? That sort of thing).
If you can't afford a FEL with a new tractor of your choice, why not look for something a few years older?

This lad is no expert on tractors (or anything else, for that matter), but if I want certain options or equipment..or a make (or brand) of equipment that I was unwilling or unable to come up with the money required...heck, used was fine!

So, moon..it depends how much "new" is worth to you.

/ FEL or not (for now) #3  
If at all posible, I would get the FEL. It is amazing how much work I have got done with mine. I've used it for digging, grading, moving material, pulling fence posts, as a workbench, the list goes on and on. I never realized how versitile an attachment it was.

Ed King

/ FEL or not (for now) #4  
MOON: i have a b2400 and i love it, but i am only taking care of 9 acres, with what u want to do u at least need the 2910, U MUST GET THE FEL. IT IS THE MOST USEFUL THING U CAN GET. i am sure the other guys will chime in here and tell u the same.

/ FEL or not (for now) #5  
When I shopping for a BX2200 I did not see much needed for a FEL, but the Kubota Dealer talked me into it. Glad he did.

The FEL has been a BACK saver for me the old wheel barrel really miss me just sitting in the back of the garage.

/ FEL or not (for now) #6  
Moon,
If at all possible, get the FEL and the biggest tractor that will still meet your needs and manuever where you want it to. More often people want to move up in size than move down. Talk to your dealer about what you want to do and they can suggest a size too. Also, check out Steve Carver's used tractors, they're usually a pretty good deal. Ask Boondox.
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ FEL or not (for now) #7  
Moon,
I am a new owner of a tractor with a FEL. I have had a tractor without loader for many years, let me say there is no comparison, find a way to get the loader. Roy has a good point about looking at used equipment, I use that reasoning with vehicles. The total size of the property is not that important, I have 80+ acres and a BX, it just depends on what you want to do with it. As you realize there are still times when it is best to call in the dozers!
Rich...

/ FEL or not (for now) #8  
rmc:
<font color=blue>"The FEL has been a BACK saver for me"</font color=blue>

Amen!

/ FEL or not (for now)
Thanks Guys, sure appreciate all the input. I've been keeping an eye out for a used unit for awhile now. Haven't had allot of luck. I've only bought one new car ever! Only because, like you all pointed out, you can get more car for the dollar with a nearly new used one. In used tractors I've had a bolens that was about wore out when i got it, but i didn't know it. It lasted one year. Traded it on a used Simplicity. It runs but burns oil an will need a overhaul real soon. (but i still plan on using the simplicity for the close mowing around the house). An I had an 89 Mitsubishi 2wd MD373, 17hp with a 48" mmm. I had to have more work done on the mower deck than it was worth and i had a heck of a time finding any dealer who would work on it. Noone sells Mitsubishi tractors around here. (recently sold it so i can buy a 4wd bigger an newer tractor) So i come to the conclusion that mower decks wear out way before most tractors. In looking for a nearly new used tractors I find the price so close to a new one that with the financing options on the new (5.4 on Kubota now) that i can do just as well buying new. I've priced used units all over the country via traderonline.com and other sites with classified listings. So I have an idea whats out there, but so far a good used one has been hard to find.

I think its clear that I need about the size of a 2910 w/ FEL. Now, does a 72” mmm work as well as a 60”. In other words, does the larger size make it more prone to belt problems for turning the larger blades required for that size of swipe? An how bout removin that bugger from the tractor. I know both the 60” and the 72” deck weigh more than one person can easily lift/maneuver around ….and I don’t have a concrete slab to work on. I’d have to do in on gravel or grass. And, while were talking removing attachments, would you mow with your FEL on? Is it a one man job to remove the FEL and on a scale of one to 10 how hard is it to do. I’m going to be trying this at a dealers place before I buy, but by doing it once or twice I sure won’t know all the ins and outs of it. All insights to this appreciated.

Thanks again guys (an gals).
Happy Tractoring!
Moon

/ FEL or not (for now) #10  
I have a B7500 with a fel. When I first got it I mowed with it on mostly because I didn't want to figure out how to take it off....Lazy!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Finally I did take it off and you wouldn't believe how easy it is. It takes 5 minutes once you have the procedure down. It is best to do it on level ground to aid everything lining up right.

As far as removing that mmm goes, I don't envy you having to take it off without the benefit of a paved work area. It doesn't roll real easy as it is, and yes it is heavy. The procedure is exceedingly simple and quick just like the loader but its mobility is fair at best. I have the 60" so I have no input concerning the 70". The only thing I was told that you have to be careful with how big a deck you get "IF" your property is hilly. Larger deck + non level ground = greater possibility of scalping. Of course I'm talking about ubrupt changes in the land and not slopes.

Jeff