HARD DECISION

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / HARD DECISION #11  
flusher said:
The average retail price for that MF 231 (dealer's cost on a clean machine) is about $8400. Don't think a 6' KK hog is worth $1600. Don't know if you're MF is on a dealer's lot or if it's a private sale. I figure dealer prep is worth about $400, so in a private sale I'd figure about $8000 for the tractor and $600 for the hog, assuming both are in good condition.

I've been refurbishing a 1964 MF-135 diesel the past year. It's hasn't been run since last October. Yesterday I finally got all the rewiring done. Turned the start key. The engine spun one revolution and started like gangbusters. Those Perkins diesels are super engines.

Average retail probably ISN'T based on a tractor with 450 hours though. Good clean one-owner VERY low houred utility tractors like that don't grow on trees. No matter if it didn't have ANY hours, it's only worth so much though. I'd try to get the price down a bit. Hard to say what it's worth exactly without seeing it.

I'm right there with you on the value of th KK mower. You can buy new ones for not much more.

The Perkins in my 150 starts so quick you bump the key and let off as quick as you can and it STILL starts. HOT or COLD.

/ HARD DECISION #12  
I bought an off brand tractor several years ago,the dealer went under leaving me high and dry with no service etc. etc. etc. , out of what you have listed I'd go with the MF ,as already stated those perkin engines sound nice run even better.I would try and get the price down a little,450 hrs. is nothing on a diesel tractor providing it was well taken care of.I would try and get the previous owners name and give him a call and find out what you can about the tractor.I do believe you would appreciate the little extra pto HP also.

/ HARD DECISION #13  
All you folks calling Mahindra an "off-brand" need to do a little homework. Granted, Mahindra isn't as popular here in the US as MF, JD, or Kubota (yet), but they are one of the largest tractor manufacturers worldwide. They manufactured tractors for IH for many, many years. I certainly wouldn't consider Mahindra an "off-brand" and certainly wouldn't put them in the same class as grey-market Satohs etc. Getting parts for Mahindra tractors (even older units) is not a problem that I've heard any owners complaining about.

If I'm not mistaken, Travis R has some experience with Mahindra, so he knows they're quality units. And, there's no doubt (in my mind at least) that the MF is a good one (at a very attractive price). I suspect that's why he's having a tough time making his decision. He's confident that either will suit his needs and be a tough, reliable tractor. He just has to decide which to buy.

As others suggested, it's hard to be a little seat time in each to help make up your mind.

Good luck,

BR

/ HARD DECISION #14  
BamaRob said:
All you folks calling Mahindra an "off-brand" need to do a little homework. Granted, Mahindra isn't as popular here in the US as MF, JD, or Kubota (yet), but they are one of the largest tractor manufacturers worldwide. They manufactured tractors for IH for many, many years. I certainly wouldn't consider Mahindra an "off-brand" and certainly wouldn't put them in the same class as grey-market Satohs etc. Getting parts for Mahindra tractors (even older units) is not a problem that I've heard any owners complaining about.
Yeah, with all due respect (and yes, there's still plenty of it) to my crusty "old school" friends, unless you can get past the "Mahindra = Off-Brand" mentality, your decision is already made for you. No sense in even debating it. Economics or anything else me darned... go with any old rust bucket tractor that will still fire up and that's either lime green or faded blue or M-F's shade of red. Might be a few others that pass "old school" muster as well... and if those are still running, consider them too! To heck with them silly 3-year warranties!!! What can possibly go wrong with a mere 8-year old tractor??? And I'll bet that 6-foot KK is awfully dang sweet!!!

We *real* tractor men don't need no stinkin' warranties!!! :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ HARD DECISION #15  
I would base my decision on (not necessarily in this order) if the units are similar in price/condition:

1.HP (obvious reasons)
2.PTO HP (it will run your hog through deeper brush with less wear/stress)
3.Weight (heavier usually means stronger, usually less apt to break)
4.Which dealer (MF or Mahindra) stands in terms of service, parts. That can make owning an out-of-warranty tractor much more enjoyable.

Everything I read about Mahindra sounds pretty good. If the mahindra was higher in HP & PTO HP and weight I'd go mahindra, but it sounds like the MF is more powerful & heavier..

/ HARD DECISION
WOW!

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!

Well, I found another deal! But still considering the other ones.

AD in the paper: 231 Massey Ferguson, Great Condition, 475 hours $8000.00

That sounds even better.

Also, the other MF i am talking about is from an individual- not a dealer.

Travis R

/ HARD DECISION #17  
WOW! The Mahindra boys are T.O.U.C.H.Y. 'bout their tractors! ;)

Not to be commenting on post's by others, but you didn't hear ME say anything NEGATIVE about them. Just POSITIVES about a known excellent product from Massey Ferguson. After ALMOST an entire lifetime around this sort of tractor, I know where I'd bank MY money.

Warranty being what it is, I STILL think the MF is a better buy, ESPECIALLY if you can get one @ $8000 or under w/ low hours. These tractors are rock solid. If there was any issues they would have surfaced by now. Sure, there's still a chance of a little part breaking, but a SLIGHT chance, unless there's abuse in the future. These are just that sound of a small tractor. In the end, you'll have a tractor that is well known to hold its value for several generations, not just a few years. You'll have what is considered THE BEST small diesel in its class. Mahindra's might be a good tractor, but that particular model of Massey is a GREAT tractor with a GREAT reputation, known far beyond the normal circles of tractor experts/enthusiast's. That great rep translates into re-sale value.

Point being, take 'em both, use 'em hard for 10 more years and see which one will best return your investment.

I'm still using a 36 year old rendition of that Massey Ferguson almost every day in my mowing business. I'd stack it up against most any NEW tractor for reliability, dependability, fuel efficiency, and ease of operation. You're look at one of the all-time greats as far as small utility tractors go.

Last edited:
   / HARD DECISION #18  
Odly enough I had this same dilema when I was first looking at a new tractor for our ranch. Namely what was the best way to spend my limited budget on a relaiable tractor for our farm. I absolutely needed it to work, and work well as we had been experiencing delays with broken equipment.

At the time my budget was ~$17,000.00 to get a tractor with a loader and a larger mower. I personally couldn't justify spending 8-10,000 on an out of warranty machine. I would rather put the money down on a newer in-warranty unit as I would have an avenue to get it fixed and working if somthing were to go wrong. I had this debate with my family (as it is a family business), and it was decided to be more prudent to just go ahead and get a new machine and pay the extra few thousand bucks for the warranty. I don't doubt at all that the MF's, JD's, and other unmentioned "old iron" are darn rock solid reliable in most cases, the problem is I couldn't justify spending 8-10 thousand dollars on a used unit that very wall may die the next day and leave me without a tractor and with no recourse to getting it fixed aside from laying out a few thousand more in repairs.

I just couldn't justify the gamble...

Reliable or not as the reputation goes, It isn't 100% conclusive that "all" MFs or any brand for that matter are rock solid reliable. So when it came down to new iron versus used, I had to choose new.

/ HARD DECISION #19  
Travis, I posted this in your other thread but, maybe its more suited for over here. MASSEY FERGUSON 231 Tractors Agriculture North America
These aren't real close to you but, it gives pricing comparisons.
If the other 231 you've found is in real nice shape and you can make an offer of a little less, it would seem like the way to go. They're holding value for a reason. I run a 5' light duty cutter with 22+ pto hp and wouldn't think of doing it commercially. If you're looking for a 6' cutter for commercial mowing, I would think 27pto hp is a bit light, depending on local conditions. Good luck.

/ HARD DECISION #20  
shvl73 said:
Travis, I posted this in your other thread but, maybe its more suited for over here. MASSEY FERGUSON 231 Tractors Agriculture North America
These aren't real close to you but, it gives pricing comparisons.
If the other 231 you've found is in real nice shape and you can make an offer of a little less, it would seem like the way to go. They're holding value for a reason. I run a 5' light duty cutter with 22+ pto hp and wouldn't think of doing it commercially. If you're looking for a 6' cutter for commercial mowing, I would think 27pto hp is a bit light, depending on local conditions. Good luck.

He's right. Like I said before, 27 PTO HP is kinda low for running a 6' hog on a regular basis. Especially if you have a lot of diifferent customers some having difficult weeds, brush to cut you'll want more PTO HP, no matter what brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.