MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910?

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #1  

Moon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61
As memtioned in my previous post my land is very hilly, rocky, clay mud terrain. Because of this and I'm not real picky about the yard area i mow I planned to get AG tires on my new tractor. But the one dealer just informed me that with AG tires on a B2910 I would not be able to raise the mmm all the way up because it would make contact with the AG tires. But the industrial or turf tires did not have the same problem. Anyone have any more info on this? I wonder how far up i could put the mmm, if this would really be a problem? Or would it be easy to damage the mmm if i accidently raised it to far and didn't notice it right off. The dealer didn't have a 2410, 2710 or 2910 with AG tires on it, so i couldn't see it for myself.
On the other hand, how would you all compare AG traction to the industrial tire traction (R4 i think it is)? With 4wd would it be advised to go with the R4 on clay/rock hilly terrain? Would they do close to as good as AG?
Thanks again!
Moon

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #2  
I would think that with the narrower width of the AG tires, you would have less trouble with the MMM than with R4 or turf tires. I am not familiar with the B2910, so I am just guessing on this, I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a more definitive answer. The AG's will definitely give you beter traction on your terrain.

Ed King

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #3  
That's an interesting dilemma. There's no question that Ag tires are taller than R4s, so it makes sense, especially if the clearance is "close" with an R4 tire. I suppose you might be able to go down a size with ags, but I don't know if that's possible.

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #4  
<font color=blue>I would think that with the narrower width of the AG tires, you would have less trouble with the MMM than with R4 or turf tires.</font color=blue>

I believe the problem is with the diameter of the tires. On a number of tractors, the standard Ag tires are larger than the turfs or R4's. This cuts down on mower clearance. I'm not sure if this is the xase with the 2910 or not.

Oops... I guess Glue Guy beat me to it! I do wonder how much it actually limits your mower height.

John_Mc

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #5  
R4's are definitely a step down in traction from Ags, but if you are mainly mowing on these hills, I wonder how much difference it really makes. pulling a box blade would probably be much more noticable. It may be just a matter of having to wait until the ground dries up a bit when using R4s (which you would probably want to do when mowing anyway).

Will your dealer let you take an R4 equipped tractor out to drive up and down your hills for a test drive?

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #6  
Moon
MMM on a 2910 is raised and lowered with the 3PH arms. Adjusting the linkage to clear the tires will not allow the mower to be locked in the up position when using a 3PH attachment.
The industrial R4 tires may be the best choice?
I have Turf tires on my 2910. I have chains for plowing snow. I have not used them in the 2 years I have owned them. But with the rocks in your area, turf tires may not be durable enough.
There have been several treads on TBN about the best tires to use all around. Try doing a search on tires. It should come up with more information than you have time to read.

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910?
WOW, the list comes thru again! Thanks ronjhall for pointing out a major flaw in my thinking. I forgot the MMM has to be in the locked position for you to be able to use other attachments on the 3PH. I sure couldn't brush hog and have my mower deck going up and down as i adjust the brush hog. Thanks Ron!
I did tell the dealer i really prefered AG tires, but he didn't offer a " go down to the next size AG tires as a solution" ...so i don't know if thats possible either.
I'm sure i could mow very easily with turf tires or R4's; my problem is going on the paths thru the woods (hills and valleys) ATV type paths. No grass all clay and rock. 80% of it i could traverse with turf tires, but those few hills I do have I need to be able to get up. These trails don't dry out as soon as the mowing areas do, so i might be ready to mow, but have to go up a slippery hill to do it.
Good suggestion to ask a dealer to let me try it with R4 tires; I've never asked that. If they are like other 4wd vehicle dealers I've purchased from they say I'll guarentee it to go up those hills ....and then if it doesn't they worry about it then. Is asking for a demo unit that common? Have any of you TBN'ers had success with that. I'd only do that from the dealer i was ready to put down the cash with; so the deal would have to practically be done.
R4's might do me just fine; I just had a 2wd tractor before an even mowing small hilly areas just a little wet I'd get one of the tires spinning. (i sure never took the tractor on the hills or areas I'm wanting the new 4wd tractor to go on) So now I want all the traction i can get and I know the AG tires would be best in that area. But running with the MMM on and using a 3ph attachment is important to me so a R4 comprimise might be in order here. I'll keep yall posted as I slowly work my way through this.
Thanks everyone!
Moon

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #8  
Have you thought about a 3PH finish mower ? This might be an option to get the traction, and would be easier to remove/attach than a MMM.

Ed King

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #9  
Moon,
I kind of agree with EdKing, look in to a rear finish mower. There are quite a few members that prefer the rear mower over the mid mount for its ease of removal and its ability to back under trees. They are also cheaper than the MMM. Or, if your hills are a problem with R4’s and you want the MMM, you could consider chains for the times you head for the hills.

MarkV

/ MMM & AG or R4 tires on B2910? #10  
On my B7500 the 60" mmm hits my R4's with the tires adjusted out all the way for stability and the mower fully up. The reason I tell you this is that when I took the suggestions of people here on TBN I found that when I pinned the mmm in the up position and then lowered the 3pt arms that the rear of the mower deck sagged just enough to clear the tires. I also don't have position control so I had to remember that when raising the mmm while mowing not to raise it all the way or it would make an aweful racket banging my R4's on the rear left mmm wheel. I figured this inconvenience was better than moving the tires in and giving me a thinner stance. I know the 2910 is longer than my B7500 but I don't know where the added length is and if the situation would not be the same. Just another thought./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Jeff