Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tractor
    Kubota B2910

Default Re: MMM or Rear Finish

Owning both MMM and rear finish mower mounted up to two different tractors - I have specific areas with different terrains, etc. that I'm mowing where each mower shines. One bonus that wasn't mentioned yet in this thread - your tractor will stay much cleaner with the rear finish mower. All that dust , dirt, leaves, grass clippings, etc. are well behind you.

PowerMax

Excellent advise , thanks. I do not have the option for a MMM my tractor is a kubota L3000, just wanted to get the ins and outs of rear finish mowers- do you have service them often?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    jd 4100

design tip: plant trees VERY far apart!
    another tip: NO SQUARE CORNERS! [think gently flowing LARGE radiuses!]

these tips also work well with belly mowers too...

Tractor
    NH TC33D; RTV900; Gravely Professional

Newland--

I have a TC33D with a belly mower. I leave it on most of the time in the summer, and can get it on and off in 10-15 minutes BUT that is using the FEL to lift up the front end. I think it would be a good bit more complicated without an FEL, as the clearances are pretty tight. I like the belly mower precisely because it is like a garden tractor; easy to line up and keep an eye on around trees, etc., and a lot easier to keep track of around gardens, rocks, etc. Also, I used to have a Yanmar with a three-point finish mower and had a little more trouble with scalping than with the belly mower. Tail-draggers take some getting used to because when you crest a rise the mower comes off the ground, etc. While neither is a perfect solution, I am a tad bit partial to the belly mower--except when I want to have it off but don't want to deal with it. BTW, it is pretty tough; truth be told I drag it through gravel and dirt, leave it on while bush-hogging, etc. The best thing, of course, would be to take a try at each before you make your decision; but if you can't do that, just remember there are advantages to each.

Thanks for all the comments they are very helpfull. I just came back from a bush hog dealler and really liked the RDTH72. The rear discharge sounds like it may simplify things, no more clippings in places I don't want them and no circleing around to make sure the side discharge is pointed the right way. Has anyone had a rear discharge and not liked it?

Thanks again,
    Newland

Tractor
    Kubota B7500

Newland,

I have a FTH60 Bush Hog side discharge. I am sure the rear discharge is nice.

One thing I like about my side discharge is that it acts like a giant leaf blower. Using forward and reverse on the tractor I can "blow" the leaves into the woods along the fence line.

Not a huge deal but it is nice.

Tractor
    New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe

Lets see your field mowing not a finished lawn. What about Just hitting the right or left brake, steering hard over. It should square a nice corner, everywhere but in the corners of the field.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61

My only experience prior to my recent purchase of a L3010 was with an 8N. 1952 model. I had a single wheel KK brush hog and had a heck of a time making the corners. I think i also had to much sway in the 3PH hookup, and I always had lots of cleanup to do after mowing.
    I decided to go with the Rear Finish mower on my 3010 and what a difference!!! It does a better job at cutting the corners than my 48" MMM on my simplicty lawn tractor. And, when i do leave a patch; with HST to back up and get it is so simple, a very quick and easy process. I'm tickled pink with the operation of the new setup. Consider me a Rear Finish Mower convert.
    Thanks for your reply Kodiak!

Moon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123