Pricing

/ Pricing
<font color=blue>...It is just a little thing but it pays for itself many times over in info and advice...</font color=blue>

...Absolutely... I agree... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

You can't imagine the "payback" when you express your appreciation for superior service, or outstanding value on pricing or advice received...

...a restaurant gift certificate for a lobster/steakhouse seems to work great as well...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Pricing #42  
I used to work for a retail parts store. The man that owned it insisted on making 33% profit on everything we sold. Many items such as batterys did not sell because 33% made them much more than everyone else was selling them for. But he had his 33% gross profit margin on paper at the end of the year.

My thought is that I would rather have had 10% of something than 33% of nothing.

I have and will drive to save money If for nothing more than the principle. This is not to say I would drive a hundred miles to save $50.00 but several hundred and I'm on my way.

What makes one dealer's identical tractor worth more than another dealer's? Can't think of anything. (principle)

While I believe you should support your local businesses in return he should support his locals with equal pricing.

Why would anyone believe that if your local dealer charges you more for the tractor that he is going to treat you any better on the prices of implements?

I really do like to support locals but, I have a bigger obligation to support myself and my family.

/ Pricing
<font color=blue>...obligation to support myself and my family. ...</font color=blue>

Yes... and there are "two sides" to every coin...

Not just a tractor/implement dealer... but any small business also has a responsibility to his/her own family...

You're correct on taking less for that battery... and other items to match "the local market" and make it up on something else... service perhaps in the future...?

It's a fragile balancing act being in business... pricing is only "part" of the overall equation for success... most of it boils down to perception of "value for the consumer"... when you can walk away from a store with your purchase/repaired item and feel great and tell all your friends about it... based on "outstanding turn-around time for repair", "free cup of soda/coffee offered", "free calendar/pens/hat", "outstanding advise", "friendly out-of-your way service", "everyone had a big smile on their face in that business...!", etc. etc. etc.

In most cases, price played a small or insignificant part of the overall great experience...

So the next time you "beat someone over the head" for that last nickel of profit... when you return to your job... you should reciprocate with your boss, where you can work for your employer for less your normal wages... instead of $18. hr... take say $6. hr. for a day or week...

Remember a dealer/small business person has to feed their family just like you do...

Again... pricing is but a part of the "big picture"... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Pricing #44  
Re: Pricing - Something to Consider...

Something to Consider…

“It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do in the first place.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it cannot be done! If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

~~~ a small sign hanging in my shop window ~~~

/ Pricing #45  

John, the shop sign I liked said:

<font color=red>We do three kinds of work:

Good
Fast
Cheap

You can have any two!</font color=red>

/ Pricing

Bird...

Excellent...! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-35196-JDMFWDSigJFM.JPG

/ Pricing
It's funny the guys that understand are in business or have been in business/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif. Before doing this I had never done a whole lot on the Sales side of the coin. I was always a buyer thinking some of the same things that some of you are saying. I figured all of these dealers were getting filthy rich selling tractors and implements, now I know the truth, it's far from filthy rich let me tell you. The next time you are in Wal-Mart think about how bad you are getting screwed! I know for a fact alot of their products(because of volume) they make 100% or more profit. When was the last time you went to Wal-Mart and dickered on the price of even a big-ticket item? I have seen people pass me because they have the PERCEPTION I can take more off than I do. They'll buy elsewhere(other brand) because they advertize list then come down. I price under list at all times. Because of this I can't move as much. It's all about PERCEPTION.

PEACE

/ Pricing #48  
It is an eroneous assumption that because someone disagrees with all or part of a person's position that they "don't understand" or "can't understand." I am willing to pay more to support local business and, in fact, believe that Wal Mart has done much to destroy small town life. Still, portions of the above arguments don't hold water in my opinion. It is a classically liberal view that those who disagree are incapable of understanding the big picture -- that's why those who hold those views tend to believe in centralized "omnipotent" government controls to encourage the "right" way of thinking and being. I respect the right of any businessman to establish price as he/she sees fit. Similarly, I maintain my right to chose... Again, those who run competitive businesses of any kind through supplying outstanding customer service at a reasonable price with survive and prosper. That is their responsibility, not mine as a consumer. Provide that and "they will come."

Bill

/ Pricing
WOW are you ever reading more into my posts than I do! It is, to me, verging right on the brink of putting words into my mouth! Understand(my meaning)=know where I'm coming from, been there done that, know what it's like, experienced it myself, been in your shoes. I've been in your shoes.....have you been in mine?

PEACE