Green Horn

/ Green Horn #11  
Mornin Appy,
Welcome to TBN ! Wow, you found someone from your neck of the woods rather quickly ! Im sure Z will help you out and get you pointed in the right direction.

The MF 1540 is a great tractor and would handle your bales on your 3 PT with a bale spear ! Use your FEL to get through the snow and just drop your bale where you feed your animals. Do some research on your local dealers and get some prices and then do some test driving !

Good Luck in your search !

/ Green Horn
I went tractor shopping again. Very nice dealer ship and I think I received good quote. Tell me your thoughts on this one.
New L3240 HST, LA724 loader, Ag tires(filled w/rim guard), grill, telescope for 3 pt
Back Blade , Bush hog 60" for a total of 21595 including tax. Now I'm not sure about the tax part, need to look into that, but if no tax then subtract 1245.00 from total. Funny thing though, I've been talking about the round bales and forgot to get the spear added.:rolleyes:. I did a test drive and liked it. Then I went over to my distant neighbor and drove his larger Kubota; I'm starting to have fun now!!

I got a quote from another dealer 2 weeks ago, didn't really mesh with him to well, but here's the quote. Everything is the same except no bush hog, or blade 22240. His bush hog price is $1575 on sale for 1295, still a little pricey.

Hey Egon my Uncle had Percherons when I was kid. Loved them!
I thought I was driving them when helping with the hay. NOT! They already knew their job. I don't know what you call rake he was using; it would bring the hay up in the wagon.

c/ya

ps thanks for the welcome folks

/ Green Horn #13  
Hi Appygirl. Like you, I have 10 acres & horses (four, with one of those away at summer camp right now). I'm a big believer in bigger is better, but money constraints made me look at the bottom end of the compact tractor world. I have a New Holland TC 30 (30hp) with FEL, and it has done everything I have needed to do.

One thing to consider when looking at the total cost of the tractor and attachments -- you might want to purchase a less expensive tractor and use the surplus funds to buy extra attachments, such as post hole digger, manure spreader, landscape rake, box blade, etc, etc that will make horse & land care easier and more fun.

The advice about handling round bales with a 3pt spear is right on the mark. Unless you need to stack them, the rear spear is the safer way to go (that's what I use).

Good luck in your search, and welcome to the board. Oh, and when you buy, let's have some pix of your new toy. :D

/ Green Horn #14  
Appygirl said:
New L3240 HST, LA724 loader, Ag tires(filled w/rim guard), grill, telescope for 3 pt
Back Blade , Bush hog 60" for a total of 21595 including tax. Now I'm not sure about the tax part, need to look into that, but if no tax then subtract 1245.00 from total. Funny thing though, I've been talking about the round bales and forgot to get the spear added.:rolleyes:. I did a test drive and liked it.

Price on that particular setup sounds reasonable to me. However, that size tractor/FEL is pretty iffy for handling round bales on the FEL. If you're happy with moving bales on the 3ph, that size should be just about right.

I would be curious which brand/model back blade that is. I suggest Woods for premium quality. I also recommend 2' wider than your tractor - so at least a 7', maybe an 8'. I got a 7' and my tractor is 6' wide and I can't use all the angle it's capable of.

I would recommend you take plenty of time shopping, see every possible model, and talk with lots of sales people. It's a big purchase with a range of options - be sure to get it right.

/ Green Horn
I'm just kidding here a bit, but what if I go get a 4x5 bale put in the back of the truck and take to the dealers and say " Okay lets see this if the tractor you recommended will lift this guy out and take for a ride about 100 ft".:D

Should I do this? I would love to see the look on their faces.:eek: :mad: :D
Should I call ahead of time to give them heads up IF I do this? I'm not sure if they'll see my sense of humor.

Appygirl

/ Green Horn #16  
You could try that. If it's the right kind of dealer they won't bat an eyelash and will just go looking for a bale spear. Not all dealers have bale spears in stock all the time, so they may genuinely not be able to offer a test on the spot. However, if they squirm a lot, that would be a bad sign. One thing to bear in mind is that handling bales requires counterweight, and most tractors on the lot won't have filled tires - that's usually done after sale, so the dealer gets paid for it and can omit if someone wants them empty. The other thing to bear in mind is that a good dealer will know which models are reasonable to lift 4x5s and won't need to test it out. But, again, it might be fun to give it a try.

/ Green Horn #17  
Hi Appygirl:

We've got 5 horses and 26 acres - 14 in pasture and rest woods and lawn. I've got an L3400.

The main thing we do different from you is square bales instead of round.

JMHO - I'd want much much more tractor if I were to do round bales. Even though one thinks they will only use a 3PT spear you will find yourself in a situation where you have to load/unload from a truck or stack a round bale someplace.

I'm not suggesting you switch to square if you are setup and happy with round, just that you consider a much bigger tractor so that you can handle a round bale on a FEL SAFELY if you do need to stack the odd time.

If I were you I'd be looking at one of the larger Kubotas - say L5040 or one of the M series. At the Kioti end the DK45 is a nice machine.

If I was regularly stacking round bales with the FEL I would go even bigger.

Also bear in mind that there are advantages to a smaller tractor (other than less $$) when you are not moving round bales.

Just some things to consider in your fun quest.

/ Green Horn #18  
Applygirl:

Lots of Farmers spend good money for a GPS control system that the horses come with on the basic model!:D

/ Green Horn
I've been using square bales for 5 years. I know there are pro and cons with round bales as far as waste goes, but it would be nice during the winter months. However in saying that, when you feed twice a day its good to look everyone over and check the water. Hmmm don't think I can pay cash for 40 plus hp, need to stay in range; plus I have to buy a trailer yet. While I'm not using it for tractor purposes it will be very handy to haul hay on!!!
I think buying used attachment is sounding better everytime and I will hope to find a good used trailer; I'm sure there is one out there for me.
Well there's lots to ponder over. Have a good night!

/ Green Horn #20  
I have no expereince whatsoever moving bales (other than lifting/stacking squares as a wee kid) but will offer this anyway... If you already know you'll be putting rounds on a trailer, you'll be better off with a tractor that can easily handle them on a FEL spear. I just don't think you'll always want to back the tractor onto the trailer to stick 'em on the 3pth...