Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD....

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #11  
Decide some other features that are important to you: resale, 3 pt attatchment linkages, operator station, tire size, transmission options speeds, ROPS/sunshade, weight, size, engine noise, ground clearance.

One of the first things I like to feel is the force it take to push the clutch pedal and controls smoothness. Then ease to brake and reach controls etc. Open terrain I'd guess you'd go manual transmission lots of direction changes maybe hydro?

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #12  
If all you want is enough HP to run the mower, extremely tight turning radius, no 4WD and reliability I think you should try to find yourself a nice MF135 like flusher said.

They were probably the best utility class tractors ever made :D

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #13  
Farmtrac 5-Series. 2WD with live PTO, 2 stage clutch, 8x2 tranny & power steering.
535 - 35HP
545 - 42HP
555 - 50HP

Very close to the old 3 cylinder Ford 2000 & 3000, Short wheelbase, very maneuverable.

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #14  
Where are you located???

Yes I'm biased and this will not be the bottom dollar choice out there, but Montana has some really good deals out there on their 2WD utility tractors. They are available in 43, 49, and 57 Hp and all come with syncro-shuttle and a four speed syncronized main gear box. HI-LOW and creeper ranges for a combination of 16x16. Have draft and position control, two sets of hyd remotes, 4 cyl Mitsubishi, and electric/hydraulic PTO. Very high spec tractor build by LG. Very well laid out controls and a pleasure to operate.

Ken

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #15  
New or used... and are it's only duties finish mowing.. or is there need for other use.. IE.. What about a NH TZ series unit with a belly mower??

Soundguy

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #16  
Here's what I would do. First, I would decide on a set of minimum requirements, like live PTO, powersteering, whatever PTO HP you desire, tire type, transmission type (hydro, shuttle, etc), canopy(?), warranty duration, etc. I would then submit the desired requirements to each reputable dealer in your area and let them submit a bid for a tractor that they sell that fits your needs. You can even bid a service type of contract with it for the maintenance items, like filters, for the warranty duration.

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #17  
Good luck on a bid. I'd be surprised if a salesman would even make a telephone call.. though if they would, and actually do respond with units in those spec ranges.. it would be a good thing.. etc.

soundguy

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #18  
Soundguy said:
Good luck on a bid. I'd be surprised if a salesman would even make a telephone call.. though if they would, and actually do respond with units in those spec ranges.. it would be a good thing.. etc.

soundguy

The original poster mentioned his association was buying it, and a lot of different groups bid things like this out. I see advertisements for bid in the newspaper all the time, with the min specs listed, and there never seems to be a shortage of dealers that submit bids. It is an easy sale for the winning bidder, and takes very little time to do if you do not win the bid.

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD.... #19  
Been pleased with my 5203 also. Good price. Simple tractor. Plenty of power. Don't know how the turning radius compares to what you have.

/ Need mowing tractor, no FEL, no 4WD....
After more discussion, we are going to go for 4WD simply because we need to drag a box scraper now and then for our trails. I had a very heavy 2WD International that was great at mowing and lousy at box scraping. We can do without the loader although with 4WD, that extra ballast the loader adds expecially when full is so valuable.