Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #1  

04Fatboy

Tractor
Kubota B6200
I am on my way today to get a used Kubota B6100 It includes a factory loader, box blade and brush cutter. 900 hours. The lights are not working and it needs a new ignition switch. No smoke and no oil leaks. It was cold when I first looked at it and it started right up. Anything I should look at? I used all the gears and checked the mechanical operation of the components. $5,000 am I getting a good deal? I can still back out. I am limited on my circle of friends who know anything about tractors so I am requesting from this circle.

Thank you

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #2  
I bought a very used B7100 gear with loader several years ago for 4200. I used it a lot and got 4500 when I traded it in. The 6100 is smaller, but the hours are less. Aside from the problems mentioned, what condition is it in -- paint, dents, rust, seat, etc. It sounds like it's mechanically okay but I don't think I would pay that much for it. Values depend to a certain extent on the local market -- do you have any comparable tractors in the area? The blade is probably worth about $400 depending on brand, the hog about $100 less. Condition of these two matters, too -- try the hog out to see if it runs smoothly.

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #3  
Do you know why the lights arent working? Is it simply a matter of burned out bulbs or electrical prob or ??? Also whats wrong w/ the ignition? It must have worked enough to start the machine.

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #4  
04Fatboy said:
$5,000 am I getting a good deal? I can still back out. I am limited on my circle of friends who know anything about tractors so I am requesting from this circle.

Thank you

Need more info to answer your question. Does that tractor have a gear transmission or hydrostatic? You should locate the serial number on the left side of the clutch housing and post it so we can determine the year of manufacture. It's nice that it has relatively low hours, but you need the model year to find the blue book value and answer your question.

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #5  
Ignition switch is an easy fix...
lamps not working? could be genn/dynamo/alternator .. whatever it has..

Taht could be spend.. in the 100-200 $ range.. unless you retrofit a cheapy car alternator on it .. I've done that to a yanmar... it was easy...

Hmm.. b6100? something inmy memory tells me there are some grey market kub's with reverse pto.. that wouldn't be one of them would it?

5000$ will buy you more used tractor plus loader .. for instance.. 5000$ will buy you a used 70's 0r 80's ford w/ laoder somewhere inthe 35-50 hp range... etc.. I'm not up on kub specs.. so i don't know how big a 6100 is.. but am guessing mid 20's hp??

Soundguy

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor
the tractor is gear. The ignitions switch works though the owner had to install an auxiliary switch for the glow plugs. I am not sure about the lights nor was he. He bough it about 5 years ago and has never had a problem with the tractor. I also found out the tires are filled. As for the larger tractor I need 4x4 with my property. and have a limited budget. (I do not want payments)As for the reverse PTO How do I tell? If I am looking at it from the back of the tractor what direction should it be going?

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #7  
04Fatboy said:
the tractor is gear. The ignitions switch works though the owner had to install an auxiliary switch for the glow plugs. I am not sure about the lights nor was he. He bough it about 5 years ago and has never had a problem with the tractor. I also found out the tires are filled. As for the larger tractor I need 4x4 with my property. and have a limited budget. (I do not want payments)As for the reverse PTO How do I tell? If I am looking at it from the back of the tractor what direction should it be going?

The 6100DT (gear with front wheel assist) was manufactured between 1975 and 1984. Depending on the vintage, that 6100 tractor is worth $2000-3000 (the average retail price for a "clean" tractor, i.e. everything works, sheet metal is straight, no major leaks, minimal rust, etc) without FEL. Sounds like that 6100 you're looking at is somewhat short of being clean.

With 900 hours on the tractor, assume that the FEL has been used a lot. I wouldn't give more than $750 for it.

Box blade: $100. Brush hog: $200 (assuming that the gear box is OK).

No way that tractor/implement package is worth $5000. I'd say $4000 tops assuming that the tractor is a 1980s vintage. For an older model, $3500 tops.

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #8  
flusher said:
The 6100DT (gear with front wheel assist) was manufactured between 1975 and 1984. Depending on the vintage, that 6100 tractor is worth $2000-3000 (the average retail price for a "clean" tractor, i.e. everything works, sheet metal is straight, no major leaks, minimal rust, etc) without FEL. Sounds like that 6100 you're looking at is somewhat short of being clean.

With 900 hours on the tractor, assume that the FEL has been used a lot. I wouldn't give more than $750 for it.

Box blade: $100. Brush hog: $200 (assuming that the gear box is OK).

No way that tractor/implement package is worth $5000. I'd say $4000 tops assuming that the tractor is a 1980s vintage. For an older model, $3500 tops.

I'm not disputing you, Flusher...since I know nothing about those older Kubotas...however, do you have any objective data to back you up...or, is it opinion?

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #9  
RoyJackson said:
I'm not disputing you, Flusher...since I know nothing about those older Kubotas...however, do you have any objective data to back you up...or, is it opinion?

The tractor data is from the blue book.

That FEL, assuming it's original equipment, is going on 30 years old. The bucket on my 2005 Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL is looking pretty worn after only 150 hours on the tractormeter. I lube the FEL joints every 10 hours per the service manual. Don't know if the FEL on the 6100 got comparable TLC. So IMHO that FEL is not worth a whole lot.

Box blade and brush hog: my opinion, but I own one of each and I know what they cost new.I assume that both of these implements for the 6100 have been used for decades.

/ Help!!! I am buying a used Tractor #10  
flusher said:
The tractor data is from the blue book.

That FEL, assuming it's original equipment, is going on 30 years old. The bucket on my 2005 Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL is looking pretty worn after only 150 hours on the tractormeter. I lube the FEL joints every 10 hours per the service manual. Don't know if the FEL on the 6100 got comparable TLC. So IMHO that FEL is not worth a whole lot.

Box blade and brush hog: my opinion, but I own one of each and I know what they cost new.I assume that both of these implements for the 6100 have been used for decades.

Again..not disputing you...I've never seen a tractor "blue book"...just a few sites online that may, or may not, be reliable. I've read about them...but I doubt (IMHO) they're any more reliable then the online sites.
I always based my values upon dealer asking prices for used equipment.

I know when I traded up to my 790, the relatively new Befco RFM had a very low value ($500 for a RFM that costs about $1500-$1800 new) so I do know implement values drop PDQ.

Actually, I think you're being quite realistic...and, I commend you for that.