tractor bh capabilities?

/ tractor bh capabilities? #1  

finspop

Silver Member
Hello,

I'd like to put in a pond on our 40-acre property. A decent-sized pond, deep and wide enough for swimming, fishing, etc. Maybe 150-feet in diameter.
Could this be accomplished with a tractor-mounted hoe? If so, how much hp and what size hoe would I want? If I had a big enough tractor, could I expect to do some digging with the bucket? If so, how big? I've owned 26 and 35-hp tractors, and I'm skeptical that either of those would've done the trick.

Thanks!

/ tractor bh capabilities? #2  
While if you had perfect soil I suspect you could dig one with a utility size tractor and a 10 foot hoe given unlimited time. A decent pond that self supports needs to be at least 15 feet deep in the center. This is excavator territoy. to do it with a small tractor you would be building ramps and driving in and out all the time. Strong probablility you'd end up with water you couldn't work in.

Andy

/ tractor bh capabilities? #3  
I agree with Andy, I would want it done with an excavator. :)

/ tractor bh capabilities?
Thanks guys.

Appreciate the perspective.

/ tractor bh capabilities? #5  
Around 20 years ago, it took me about 100 hrs with a 1951 ford 8n (about 25 hp) and a pond scoop to make a 50 ft diameter, 10 ft deep (at center) pond. I had relatively easy digging with about 18 in of topsoil, 6 ft of sandy loam, and clay below that. The last couple feet into the clay was the toughest. I lined the banks with the clay and sloped them around 40 degrees. I had no rocks, roots, or stumps to contend with. I built it at the lowest point on my farm for watering livestock and it has never dried up, even during drought years. In the late summer, the level usually drops quite a bit allowing me to back down the banks with a brushog to keep the weeds under control. I put some golden shiners in it and bullheads and bluegills got in there somehow. My kids fish it often, catching all three species in pretty good numbers. I think I could have built this pond in less than 40 hrs with my new tractor (43 hp, 4wd) using the front loader with a toothbar. If your soil conditions are similar to mine, I would not be afraid to tackle the project with only the front loader and a similar or slightly larger 4wd tractor. You will really benefit from a toothbar for a project like this. If there is lots of clay, rocks, roots, or stumps, then I would recommend a dozer and/or excavator. Even a few large rocks or stumps and you will at least want a small tractor-backhoe.

/ tractor bh capabilities? #7  
finspop said:
Hello,

I'd like to put in a pond on our 40-acre property. A decent-sized pond, deep and wide enough for swimming, fishing, etc. Maybe 150-feet in diameter.
Could this be accomplished with a tractor-mounted hoe? If so, how much hp and what size hoe would I want? If I had a big enough tractor, could I expect to do some digging with the bucket? If so, how big? I've owned 26 and 35-hp tractors, and I'm skeptical that either of those would've done the trick.

Thanks!

In a word...no. Think about digging a 5 gallon bucket sized hole with a spoon.

/ tractor bh capabilities? #8  
Sure you can do it. Probably going to take 4-500 hours of your time. About 1000 - 1200 gal of diesel fuel, 30 tubes of grease, 2 oil changes and one hydraulic fluid/ filter change. Add all that up and it's probably close to what a guy on an excavator and a guy on a track loader would charge, but they would probably be done in 3 days.

Choice is yours....

jb

/ tractor bh capabilities? #9  
I gotta agree with Andyma's post right under yours.

/YES/ you could dig a pond that size with a small tractor if you had LOTSA time. Heck.. you could dig it by hand with a shovel and wheel barrow...
(scut/cut/UT - I'd only use them for this project if I really had nothing else to do.. and was retired.. and had a few months to kill... )
Me? I'd hire it out.. unless I needed a TLB setting around for other frequent chores..( a big job for a tlb.. but doable ) or a full fledged excavator parked in the back yard.( excavator is the correct tool for this job )

good luck

soundguy

finspop said:
Hello,

Thanks!

/ tractor bh capabilities? #10  
I agree with the prior posts, especially John Bud. However, I think Jinman on here has dug fairly large ponds using a TC45DA with a FEL and box scraper. You might search posts with him in the projects forum. No idea how long it took him.

I will add - don't even think about doing this with a dry-clutch gear tractor, unless you enjoy $1200 clutch replacements. With HST it shouldn't wear anything out, just the use costs JB noted.