John Deere4120 vs Kobota3940

/ John Deere4120 vs Kobota3940 #21  
Luke_theDrifter said:
This is a timely post...

I decided about 2 months ago to purchase a tractor, we need one. At first I thought I'd do a little research, ask a few questions locally, maybe use the internet some, and I was sure I would make the selection & purchase within a week.

Well.....2 months later and LOTS of research I just bought one today, 2 weeks away from [frost] freeze-up.... a Kubota 3400. I looked at the Deere, Ford/NH, Kioti, Montana, Myhimdra...or however you spell it?....some other ones not well known, and what they call the grey-market tractors; Yanmars and such.

It seems like a lot of folks on this site put a lot of weight into dealer support. That is great if you have dealer support, but in my case there are not any dealers close so I purchased the tractor over the phone and will have it shipped to me. Ultimatley my choice was based on what is the best tractor for my needs and what "I" think is the "BEST" tractor.

As far as price, I think I got a fair deal, but I'm not a price expert; L3400HST w/ a front loader, BH75 Backhoe, 72" Bush Hog Brand box scraper, 72" Bush Hog cutter w/ the clutch, and a 72" Bush Hog brand rake; total price $27,500.

I belive the 3940 (grand) has more bells & whistles and is priced about $4,300-$4,500 higher

I went through about the same thing 3 years ago: I looked at all the brands and bought a JD 4310 - the off-brands have lower resale and are priced high for what they are. I almost bought a Kubota but the backhoe on the Deere was easier to remove.

This year I'm shopping for a ~ 45 HP tractor and it seems the same: a Kubota prices out a little below eg. a Mahindra. This makes no sense at all to me - I'd need to save a few thousand to step down from a JD or Kubota.

I haven't looked at Ford yet - I don't like either of the dealers in this area. But I'll at least take a look

/ John Deere4120 vs Kobota3940 #22  
jfh0jfh said:
This year I'm shopping for a ~ 45 HP tractor and it seems the same: a Kubota prices out a little below eg. a Mahindra. This makes no sense at all to me - I'd need to save a few thousand to step down from a JD or Kubota.

Don't know where you are getting your prices from but both Kioti and Mahindra should price out well more than "several thousand" below Kubota or JD when comparably equipped. I don't know the Mahindra that well but the Kioti DK45se would be the direct competor.

/ John Deere4120 vs Kobota3940 #23  
IslandTractor said:
Don't know where you are getting your prices from but both Kioti and Mahindra should price out well more than "several thousand" below Kubota or JD when comparably equipped. I don't know the Mahindra that well but the Kioti DK45se would be the direct competor.

Pricing is very regional and otherwise variable. When I priced out large CUTs this past winter, I was quoted $23k for a DK45SE/HST or a DK45 gear, either one with FEL and quick attach, vs. $25k for a JD 4120 gear and $24,600 for a Kubota L5030 HST, both with FEL. The Kubota was a clearance item but the JD wasn't. Given that the Kioti dealer was also 3x farther from my house, the price difference didn't seem like enough to justify the inconvenience.

Now, if I had known how Kioti CAB prices compared, that might have been a different story...

/ John Deere4120 vs Kobota3940 #24  
Z-Michigan said:
Pricing is very regional and otherwise variable. When I priced out large CUTs this past winter, I was quoted $23k for a DK45SE/HST or a DK45 gear, either one with FEL and quick attach, vs. $25k for a JD 4120 gear and $24,600 for a Kubota L5030 HST, both with FEL. The Kubota was a clearance item but the JD wasn't. Given that the Kioti dealer was also 3x farther from my house, the price difference didn't seem like enough to justify the inconvenience.

Now, if I had known how Kioti CAB prices compared, that might have been a different story...

You are correct and Kioti pricing is generally more variable than Kubota or JD from what I can tell. Some dealers are aggressive and others just quote list. The Kubota and JD dealers seem to have more stable discount percentages generally. I got a quote well under $20K for a DK40se HST with loader and I couldn't come anywhere near that on equivalent Kubota/JD tractors in New England.

/ John Deere4120 vs Kobota3940 #25  
IslandTractor said:

My prices are from dealers in central OH/ KY

Kubota L4400 $15000. Branson 3510i $17,500, 4720i $18000. Mahindra 4530 $16513. All 4WD, gear drive, no FEL. OK?

I think the Kubota may have fewer features eg. no dual remotes.

I haven't priced Kioti, NH, Zetor, JD. I will probably price another Branson if I can find a larger dealer.

This is almost exactly what I found 3 years ago and I bought a JD 4310 w/ loader & backhoe for $< Ford, Scorpion and a couple of others.

Yes, the off-brands SHOULD be much less than Kubota & JD. It would have to be $2K+ to tempt me given lower resale.