Hydro or Shuttle

/ Hydro or Shuttle #1  

darinfischer

Looking at a Farmtrac tractor. 360DTC. It's a 39 hp. Mainly will be used for small snow plowing/removal and light landscaping. Want this size due to ease on lawns. Question is should I go with the hydro or the shuttle shift. Which will be better for my applications? I was quoted $17,900 for a Farmtrac 360DTC with the FEL. Does this seem like a fair price?

/ Hydro or Shuttle #2  
For those applications, I would think the hydro would be easier. The Shuttle will still get the job done, just easier with the hydro.

What tires are you getting? I would think that your options are either Turfs (prefered) or R4's. R1's will leave some nice ruts! The price seems good to me.

Oh, welcome to TBN!

jb

/ Hydro or Shuttle
I will use the R1 tires and most likely have them filled for the winter months and have a set of turf tires on rims to swap out for summer months.

/ Hydro or Shuttle #4  
Have to agree with the hydro recomendation. You may lose a hp or 2 at the PTO but the convienience of the hydro is well worth it for what you will be doing.

/ Hydro or Shuttle
Nobody here has a hydro model in anything. All I can get is gear unless I order a hydro. Is it really that big a deal? I only used hydro on smaller tractors, never used a gear one.

/ Hydro or Shuttle #6  
You should go drive one either way. It is somewhat of a religious discussion, but HST is FANTASTIC IMHO. But you shouldn't decide without trying it out for yourself.

-Brian

/ Hydro or Shuttle #7  
I own a 360DTC w/shuttle. I'm not sure you can get a 360 w/hydro tranny.
I think it's the 390 model you're looking at. Same engine etc, different tranny.
Personally, I think the shuttle shift is the best of both worlds...rugged and easy to use. It's a "tastes great/less filling" discussion around here, drive both and go with your preference.

/ Hydro or Shuttle #8  
Gear (shuttle)

hydro is useful, sometimes, but
costs more
more expensive to maintain
more stuff to break
breaks down more and isn't cheap to fix (although the one problem with a gear tractor is a bad clutch and that's crazy expensive, but reasonably rare)
less power

sorry, not drinking the hydro kool aid.

/ Hydro or Shuttle #10  
LoneCowboy said:
Gear (shuttle)

hydro is useful, sometimes, but
costs more
more expensive to maintain
more stuff to break
breaks down more and isn't cheap to fix (although the one problem with a gear tractor is a bad clutch and that's crazy expensive, but reasonably rare)
less power

sorry, not drinking the hydro kool aid.

In my experience, hydros have been the most reliable, least expensive to own, have about 2/3 the parts as a shuttle, the same maintenance intervals, but they do have about 3-5 fewer hp due to fluid power loss. You are correct, a dealer replaced clutch will cost about $2500 and are typically needed in 4000 hours of operation (6-8000 for a wet clutch.).

So, how have your experiences lead you to such a differing opinion?