Time to buy?

/ Time to buy? #1  

jerrynycom

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4720 Cab
If I am ready to buy a JD 4720, is there a benefit to waiting till the winter? Dealer said I would be getting a 2008, but I would think the price is sweeter in the dead of winter, no?

Dealer also said you never know when they take away the 0% for 36 months promo.....Any insight anyone? :confused:

/ Time to buy? #2  
jerrynycom said:
If I am ready to buy a JD 4720, is there a benefit to waiting till the winter? Dealer said I would be getting a 2008, but I would think the price is sweeter in the dead of winter, no?

Dealer also said you never know when they take away the 0% for 36 months promo.....Any insight anyone? :confused:

I don't think you'll see much benefit in waiting. Unlike a lawn tractor, these machines sell all year long. Folks will be buying them for plowing snow in some areas, for example.

Chance you take...the 0% promo sounds pretty good though.

/ Time to buy? #3  
I tend to agree with Roy. In the northern states where you can see snow.. i imagine tractors sales can stay up enough during winter to not see a drop in prices. here in florida where it gets cold enough for grass to stop growing.. but not for snow, then tractor and implement sales drop off.. and generally about the times the new year models hit, you can sometimes get a small discount on the prev year models still setting there.. etc. Sometimes you can also get good deals on lease returns.. But I'd want to know the dealer real well before I bought a rental or lease return, as they will have an idea on how well the renter/leasee took care of the machine.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Time to buy? #4  
There is never a better time to buy a new tractor than "right now", whenever that happens to be.

/ Time to buy? #5  
My Deere dealer told me the other day, there is usually a price increase in November from Deere. JC

/ Time to buy? #6  
I bought in the dead of Winter, guys were lined up 5 deep at the counter buying.

The dealer was in a rush to leave for his Florida vacation.

jerrynycom said:

/ Time to buy? #7  
If you know that a model is being replaced with a newer and better version, you can get a good deal on left overs. If you buy towards the end of the month you can get a better deal as they won't have to pay financing for the next month.

I think that right now is a good time of year to buy. Attachments are going on sale too.

jb

/ Time to buy? #8  
Your dealer has probably been through a winter or two, and has most likely planned for fewer tractor sales. That is what mine claims anyway.

So you lighten up on inventory with some fall sales, coast through the cold, dark days with log splitter sales, maintenance, a tractor sale or two, and don't carry a large inventory to floor plan.

Order up some of the new, higher priced models for spring delivery, and hope people still have the extra bucks to buy a tractor.

Will 0% loans disappear like the no money down mortgages?

/ Time to buy? #9  
I was going to ask the same question, but since you already did, I'm just going to post my insight/guess on this subject.

With auto, late December is the best time to buy. It's because dealers are trying to hit a specific sales number for the year so they can get a bigger bonus payment from the Manufacturer. Out side of that, end of months and fall is usually best. End of month because dealers want to clear out vehicles before they have to pay possible floor plan (Some manufacturer's also run monthly bonus problems too) and Fall because they want to clear current model year for the next years models that are coming in.

Boats are pretty much them same, but for slightly different reasons. From what I found with boats is that the best time is late winter because of incentives, but floor plan and other things apply.

Being new to tractors, I have no idea. I'm guessing incentives happen quarterly. Sometimes they get better, sometimes worse. It probably depends on some number cruncher that's sitting behind a desk looking at how many they want to sell versus what they expect to sell. With the way the economy is going, they might come out with a 60 months at 0% like Montana Tractors currently has.

BTW if there's no better time to buy, then it works the other way to, as in why by now if nothings going to change??? But it's probably going to depend on where in the country one lives. Like others pointed out, in the north, you use the tractor for plowing snow, but outside the snow belt, if it's to cold to farm or work outside, whatcha need a tractor for??