ATV or MULE ???

/ ATV or MULE ??? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have followed some of the ATV discussions and would like to post a question here:

I have done some research into using ATV's with a pull behind rotary cutter e.g. Bush Hog GT 42 to mow fields or pastures. I like the "cool" style of an ATV, however I think a Kawasaki MULE would be a much better choice for other chores around the farm.
Has anybody ever used a mule to pull a rotary cutter or finish cutter? Is it powerful enough to go uphill?
What other suggestions do you have besides using a compact tractor?
I've got about 10- 15 acres t o mow at least three times a year. Just a rough cut, nothing fancy, no "golf green".

Thanks for your help in this matter.

MB

/ ATV or MULE ??? #2  
My Mule isn't powerful enough to pull a 4' harrow over newly seeded ground going up a hill. BUT it's only the 10 hp one. The Gator is the 18hp and it does have the power to pull the manure spreader, etc. If you go the Mule route get the high hp engine. I haven't tryed to pull one of the mowers. I would ask whoever is selling you the Mule to let you try it out with the mower before you buy. They usually have used ones you could use.

As far as usefulness a Mule is 10x more useful than an ATV. That bed is just priceless compared to an ATV. Plus you can easily haul a couple people on the Mule as well. If I had a choice it would definitely be a Mule over an ATV for general ranch and farm work. Like I said though make sure you get at least the 18 hp one and not the 10 hp one for pulling anything.

/ ATV or MULE ??? #3  
If you decide to go ATV you'll want a water cooled one. I have a bigger 4wd model and that ole motor can sure put the heat out when your going slow, as in pulling a brush hog. As for other chores, the ATV have all kinds of attachments or racks to hook things onto. Cabella's http://www.cabelas.com/
is a good place to check out all the attachments available for them. I have a light 4 x 8 trailer that i pull with mine when i need to transport larger items (or lots of little items). Works great. The extra plus is they are great to get around your property on when you need to.

/ ATV or MULE ???
I have a diesel mule that I bought in Dec of 1999.It has 1550 hrs on it and 460 hrs.I can only say AWSOME as a way of discribing it.With a load capacity of around 1600lbs it is used around here 365 days a year.I have been known to leave it run all night a couple of times.

/ ATV or MULE ??? #5  
ALthough I can't respond to the question of pulling a mower, I can definately agree that the MULE rules! I have driven it straight up 45 degree hills over logs, rocks etc, with no problem...and the bed is the best. Great hauler and fun to boot!

/ ATV or MULE ??? #6  
Gene,
We looked at the Diesel but due to budget restrictions settled on the 15hp 3010, So far its been a good workhorse. Although there aint nothin like the smell of diesel in the morning/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ ATV or MULE ??? #7  
MULE (diesel or gas)???

Looking to buy a mule or ranger... found a diesel mule (brand new) for $8500 (list is $9900) a gas one is $8300 is the diesel an advantage? How? or should I go for the gas version?

/ ATV or MULE ??? #8  
Re: MULE (diesel or gas)???

All my experience has been on the gasoline models, but my brother drove one of the diesel models and told me about it. And for the price difference, there's no doubt at all that I'd go for the diesel.