Need advice

/ Need advice #1  

golkpr

Ok, here's the situation;
Im 6'0, 215 lbs, but Im partially disabled, knees.
Im looking for a tractor for: moving small amounts of dirt, light mowing, box scrapper needs and rototilling. I need a tractor that has small width 4 wheel drive with front loader capability. i will use the tractor 2-3 hours every other day or so. I need reliability because disability pension is limited.
Im aware of the Vietnam rebuilds and am not interested in those.
Is the Shibaura P19f a good fit or a Mitsubishi D1850F or a YanmarFX16 or does somone have a recommendation?
Is EFC a good outfit? There prices seem high.
What is a fair price for one of these tractors with a front loader at about 1000hrs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
What about a case 1120 with 1000 hrs and front loader/ price?

Last edited:
   / Need advice #2  
Someone may correct me but the tractors you are looking at are all used units imported generally from rice growing areas of the world. They are referred to as a “grey market” tractor because they never were sold new in the states. That can be a problem when it comes to getting parts and many dealers will not work on them. Some of the members have had great success with them at a bargain price. Others have had a lot of trouble and no dealer support system. It is best to be good with a wrench if you buy one.

Most of these will be straight gear tractors that require clutching and that would seem to be a problem in your situation. With your knee problems a tractor with a hydrostatic transmission (HST) would seem ideal. No clutching or braking, just one pedal for forward, reverse and stop.

MarkV

/ Need advice #3  
golkpr:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with MarkV as to the challenges presented by "grey market" tractors. I would look at the more established tractor lines due to better reliability, greater parts availability, and hopefully better service and support. I can relate to some degree with your knee challenges :( and having had both a gear driven and now an HST driven tractor I would only recommend an HST driven tractor especially considering your knees and anticipated uses. Good luck on your tractor research and acquisition. This is one of the "fun" aspects of tractor ownership :D. Please keep the posts coming- Jay :)

/ Need advice #4  
Golkpr, Help us out here a little. What price is your max cash budget, or max monthly payment. Is 4x4 a must? Are you mechanically handy? Where are you and are you willing to travel to P/U? Are you going to need floor controls modified to fit your situation? Not being nosey, but there's a lot helping minds here. We just need a direction to attack! P.S. We also ..luv..to spend other peoples $$money.
Frank

/ Need advice #5  
If reliability is an issue.. I'd have to advise to get a new scut from a dealer you trust. It may cost more up front.. but having a few years of warranty plus a new chassie.

I would not reccomend a wrench it yourself used unid like an asian market, a chinese import, or an antique, in this situation.

Soundguy

golkpr said:
Ok, here's the situation;
Im 6'0, 215 lbs, but Im partially disabled, knees.
Im looking for a tractor for: moving small amounts of dirt, light mowing, box scrapper needs and rototilling. I need a tractor that has small width 4 wheel drive with front loader capability. i will use the tractor 2-3 hours every other day or so. I need reliability because disability pension is limited.
Im aware of the Vietnam rebuilds and am not interested in those.
Is the Shibaura P19f a good fit or a Mitsubishi D1850F or a YanmarFX16 or does somone have a recommendation?
Is EFC a good outfit? There prices seem high.
What is a fair price for one of these tractors with a front loader at about 1000hrs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
What about a case 1120 with 1000 hrs and front loader/ price?

/ Need advice #6  
In your situation look for either a new or a used kubota or new holland or john deere from a dealer that will warranty their unit. You might pay more upfront but the reliability and having a unit with a dealer standing behind it would be worth while in your case. You might also see who is offering specials on the financing. Sometimes you can get a new unit at 0 per cent financing and be cheaper than getting a used unit but paying a higher payment because of the interest.

/ Need advice #7  
Well, you said you had bad knees, I would immediatly say power-trac cause it is so low and will do everything you want. But it is a tractor you must turn the occassional wrench on so maybe it is out..

Carl

/ Need advice #8  
Given the above comments, I'll recommend you start looking at the smaller Kubota's and New Hollands. The BX1850 (or 1550 if you can find one), along with the NH TZ18 may be perfect for you. They will both handle the tasks you described, are small and light, and have HST (easier on the knees). The larger of these models (20-24HP), along with JD's 2305, would probably be perfect but come with a higher starting price.

/ Need advice #9  
you might look at the TYM 233 or 273.
another option would be the Mahindra 15 series

both of these are small, fairly ergonomic, and well built machines, both come in fwd and hydrostat - which will cost you a little in power but save you on shifting, and as new uits come with good warranties.

/ Need advice #10  
If you do go with a gray market tractor, look at the powershift models. That way you won't have to clutch to change gears.