What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #1  

greg04

Greetings,

My first post - I am on the board of managers of a new condo. We have a problem. We are looking for a snow removal solution. Our current contract is roughly $4,000 for a 75 car parking lot. The lot is rectangular in shape, with two (250ft x 10ft) runs down the length of it. That's it. Cars are parked in a total of three rows with one on the left side, and the other two, head to head in the center.

We are located in Westchester county (NY), and we've only had two or three pushes for our $4,000 last year, and not the best service. We are looking into alternatives. We have a live-in super who can be awakened at 5am to do the deed, but we don't know what machine is the right one for the task. Ideally, it would be one that does the job cheaper (sub $4,000) per year.

I have been googling like mad and have run across certain machines like the Bobcat toolcat - probably a bit out of reach $ wise. I think they are $30k? But I think we should be able to swing $20K. In the end, we just have to convince ourselves that we're better off than with our last contractor. I don't want to go cheap and wreck a $10K machine...

The tough part is that the machine will be idle for long periods of time (we'll get super to maintain) and really only used 5-6 times per year. Still, when the snow comes...we will need it. Throwers are out - too much area, it's pretty much decided that we need a plow.

So, any ideas as to the best tool for the job?

Your time is much appreciated.

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #2  
Put it up for bid. A reliable properly sized machine is just too expensive.:D

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #3  
Or look for an old dump truck with a plow on it. You can find 1 ton 4WD dumps and a plow...maybe a retired municipal machine reasonably cheap. The truck can also be used for other tasks at the complex.

Egon has the best idea, if you can find a dependable service.

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #4  
If you have 20,000 dollars to spend I'd recommend getting a small bobcat with either a snow bucket or a snow plow. This would certainly do the job and you can get ones with an enclosed cab for not much. You can get used bobcats with less than 1500 hours for very decent prices. Most have kubota or Deutz diesels which are very reliable, and are more than adequate for the sort of application you described.

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #5  
Not sure how much snowfall you get but i'd be looking for an old, rusted out ugly
(meaning cheap) 3/4 ton pickup. make sure it's in good mechanical shape and get a plow for it. i think i'd look at a vplow, but a regular snow blade works well and is a lot cheaper. if it's not going on public roads i wouldn't expect it would need to be licensed, the one thing i know i'd do first is to talk to my insurance agent.

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #6  
Whatever you decide on, I would suggest a multi-purpose unit and a snow plow will do the job you will be much happier with a front mount snow blower that way you can put the snow where you want not just where the plow leaves it. I'm sure if you give it a little thought you will find many uses for a versatile unit. I have plowed many acres when we lived in Maine.
And don't forget about storage, maintenance and the usual break-downs, it will happen with new or old and the cold temps .
I don't miss living in Maine at all
Jim

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #7  
I don't think a clapped out rust bucket of a plow truck will do the deed. It will probably sit for months then it will get cold, then colder then colder still and snow a ton --> guess what? It won't start then! You're gonna have a lot of unhappy condo owners when they can't leave the parking lot.

Don't leave the paying people stranded, they get nasty quick!

jb

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #8  
Is it under $4000/ year regardless of how many times the sub needs to come out? How many times per storm will they come out. I personally think that is a good price. I also think that plowing between all those cars is more of a pusher box type of job rather than a plow. Either a mid size tractor or a bobcat with a pusher box. $20,000 ?. at $4k/year plus upkeep on your machine I think the sub will be cheaper and more reliable.

Andy

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #9  
From my past experience with snow removal and working with condos and apartments, I would tend to look at a box plow and a bucket for a skid loader, consider renting for the week of the snow event or leasing for the winter. The box will push the aisle way and then come back with the bucket to do individual parking spaces unless you can get everyone to park on the "other side" so it can be cleaned off. Depending on the size of the skid loader you may be able to do the sidewalks as well, unless you already have a snow blower for those areas, also you can use the bucket to move piles of snow. The truck/plow is great in some areas but I feel the skid loader would be more efficient in the long run, and consider getting him a skid loader with a cab/heater.

Good Luck!

/ What machine for the job? Snow Plow, small lot #10  
john_bud said:
I don't think a clapped out rust bucket of a plow truck will do the deed. It will probably sit for months then it will get cold, then colder then colder still and snow a ton --> guess what? It won't start then! You're gonna have a lot of unhappy condo owners when they can't leave the parking lot.
jb

I would expect some maintenance (occasional starting and charging the battery...adding a fuel additive, etc.) would be prudent for any vehicle.

consider renting for the week of the snow event or leasing for the winter

Of course, that's when everybody else would want that unit too.