Comparison JD2320 versus NH TC30

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30 #1  

hobie15

I am looking at purchasing a compact utility tractor. Have looked at the JD2320 and the New Holland TC30 - price comparison is about $1000 difference between the two. The NH TC30 is manual transmission and 30 hp - includes loader and 6 ft Bush Hog rotary cutter. The JD 2320 is 24 hp and includes 4 ft rotary motor and loader. Any thoughts on what the better quality is of either? I have heard pros and cons on both. Thank you for any input!:confused:

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30 #2  
I just moved from a perfectly good Ford 1320 20hp to a NH 34HP. Just for the HP. Get the most HP you can. The TC 30 is a good machine I think.

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30
I have heard that some of the NH TC30's had to have the engines replaced due to breakage on the metal that holds it in place - any thoughts or truths to this? What about hydro versus manual transmission?

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30 #4  
Those are two very different machines... Both good quality, but very different.

The TC 30 is an economy compact tractor, as in fewer bells and whistles. It's going to be significantly larger and more powerful than the SUBcompact 2320, hence the 6' rotary cutter vs the 4' rotary cutter.

What do you want to do with it? If you're mowing with the rotary cutter, the TC30 will do it ~50% faster with the 50% wider mower... If you're cutting close to lots of obstacles and need manuverability, then the 2320 might fit the bill better. Also, assuming the TC30 has a loader, it will have more power as well.

No matter how you cut it, the TC30 is a lot more machine, if that's what you need...

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30
Thanks, that does help. I mainly want to use the tractor for snow removal (driveway), dig a few rocks up out of the ground, and cut trails in our woods (1" saplings and lots of brush; also we burn wood in the winter and would like to be able to pull a trailer or haul some logs in the loader. The 2320 seems more manueravable to me with the hydro transmission, but maybe it is because I am not very familiar with a manual tranny. Think the 2320 is up to the job?

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30 #6  
hobie15:

Welcome to TBN :D! You are comparing different tractors. The TC30 is an older design, but a reliable tractor. The JD2320 is a newer design and has better ergonomics. One does can start to see some HP differences with a 5 HP difference in tractor performance, but operator skill is more important. As an example the TC30 can handle a 6' RC while the JD2320 is handling a
4' RC. IMHO opinion I think the TC30 would handle a 5' RC better than a 6', but it depends on what kind of vegetation you are cutting. I would get as much seat time as possible to get a feel for both the tractors as well as the dealers. A good dealer will save you money in the long run. The only reason I chose the my TC29DA over the TC30 was because of the ergonomics. Keep the posts coming- Jay :)

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30
Thank you - any input is helpful regarding compact utility tractors. The NH dealer is offering the TC30 for $14700 with loader - no cutter; the JD 2320 is being offered with loader & 4' cutter for $14800. Seems to me to be only about a $1000 difference when I add the price for the brush hog 6' cutter to the NH 30. The dealer told me the NH is a real workhorse. I need something simple to operate (manual tranny?) and will last till I take a "dirt nap"! :)

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30 #8  
The TC 30 is more comparable to the 790 Deere or B7800 Kubota.
The TC 30 is a nice simple machine. Due to it's simplicity, it might be the better choice if you want to last until your "dirt nap".

So, if you've got 4-8 acres or so and some of that is a field, the TC 30 would be my choice. If you have a lot of trees and other obstacles around your property, that little Deere with it's hydro tranny and smaller cutter might be the way to go.

Right now, the TC 30 and loader plus a 5 foot cutter would be around $15700 (figure a grand for the cutter). If you add a hydro tranny, you'll probably add another grand to 1500 bucks to the total. Manual trannys are simple to use and bullet proof if you can keep your foot off the clutch.

So, tell us about your property and intended uses...

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30 #9  
hobie15:

I believe the TC30's rear PTO HP is 25+ with a manual transmission, you would lose some HP with an HST. One of the general "rules of thumb" for RC's is 1 foot of per 5 PTO HP. A TC30 with a HD 5' rotary cutter "smash" 2 inch diameter saplings/softwoods; I do not believe you could do the same with a 6' rotary cutter. If you are not cutting big and thick vegetation a 6' would do "OK". You also indicated some concerns with manuverability- even a 5' RC can become awful wide and unwieldy in the woods. You do not have to ask me how I know this :rolleyes:. Jay

PS: I just read Roy's post. Please give us more information about your property and intended uses and the TBN readership will be more than happy to spend your money :cool:!

/ JD2320 versus NH TC30
We have 20 acres in Wisconsin - 3 acres mowing and 17 woods. Would like to "blaze" some trails in the woods for walking/driving thru with the golf car! We have 2 riding mowers so would not be doing any "finishing" mowing at this time. Need to haul out some wood for the wood burner this winter (dead falls). I just want a tractor that is easy to use - right now we have a 1946 John Deere A and a 1951 John Deere G - a person gets religion just getting them started some days! I just want to turn the key and go!;)