JD Making Tractors In China

/ JD Making Tractors In China #21  
same thing here but it's I-65......you know the difference between a yankee and d*** yankee.

/ JD Making Tractors In China #22  
I bought a Chinese bottle jack at Harbour Freight and painted it JD green. Really works well now.

Moloss. I know the difference. BTW, couple of my cousins were in the 19th Alabama. They were killed at Shiloh.

/ JD Making Tractors In China #24  
unreconstructed said:
I bought a Chinese bottle jack at Harbour Freight and painted it JD green. Really works well now.

With green paint being so expensive, you didn't save too much money buying it from HF.

Heck, just imagine how good it would work if you had painted it Orange!;) and you'd never misplace it again:D

Last edited:
   / JD Making Tractors In China #25  
unreconstructed said:
How much more money did you have to send to HF, now that the jack is 'green?' :D :p :D

/ JD Making Tractors In China #26  
moloss said:
same thing here but it's I-65......you know the difference between a yankee and d*** yankee.

The variable definition of a Yankee...:D
Outside the US, a Yankee is someone from the US.
In the US, a Yankee is someone from the North.
In the North, a Yankee is someone from New England.
In New England, a Yankee is someone who eats apple pie for breakfast... with a fork.

/ JD Making Tractors In China #27  
I think that Americans have lost sight of the true problem with buying so much Chinese stuff. The quality is one thing, what our money is being used for is what's really important! It hasn't been too many years ago, 10-15, that the Chinese government said that we, America, are their enemy. Remember the capture of the Navy P-3 a few years back? China is using American money to build and maintain a VERY large military machine. When, not if, China decides to attack Taiwan it will be with a military funded in part by American dollars. We need to keep this in mind as we spend our money.
I apologize if this was not the place to air my thoughts, but we need to wake up. China is a communist nation that uses slave labor, political and religious prisoners to manufacture much of what is imported into this country.
Closing thought, I Praise God that I live in a country where we can openly debate such issues!

/ JD Making Tractors In China #29  
mark4Jesus said:
I think that Americans have lost sight of the true problem with buying so much Chinese stuff. The quality is one thing, what our money is being used for is what's really important! It hasn't been too many years ago, 10-15, that the Chinese government said that we, America, are their enemy. Remember the capture of the Navy P-3 a few years back? China is using American money to build and maintain a VERY large military machine. When, not if, China decides to attack Taiwan it will be with a military funded in part by American dollars. We need to keep this in mind as we spend our money.
I apologize if this was not the place to air my thoughts, but we need to wake up. China is a communist nation that uses slave labor, political and religious prisoners to manufacture much of what is imported into this country.
Closing thought, I Praise God that I live in a country where we can openly debate such issues!

Mark,
I agree with most of what you said. However, the P3 you mention wasn't "captured". How do I know this? I was a P3 Flight Engineer and I had two good friends that were on that aircraft, namely the two flight engineers; Nick Mellos and Wendy Westbrook. Wendy was in the Flight Engineer's seat when the collision happened. Lt. Shane Osbourne, the senior pilot on the flight, is an idiot, but I won't get into that.

Anyhow, it was "routine" for the Chinese to intercept P3's regularly in the South China Sea and other areas in and around Hainan. My last deployment in that region was in 1999. We were intercepted several times up in that area...it's normally harmless, more out of curiosity more than anything else - coupled with letting us know that we're being watched... CLOSELY! The EP-3 is an aerial recon. plane and intel gatherer. The Chinese hated us off their coast "looking and listening" in. Anyhow, you can google the story, but the plane wasn't captured, which is why I'm posting. After surviving the collision, they had two options...ditch at sea (which the P3 has done several times...usually with fatalaties)...or landing in a communist country. They chose the latter as you know. They weren't "forced" into anything and were treated quite well during their weeklong stay under Red China's flag.

I'd also like to say that although this accident could have easily been prevented, it was the Chinese pilot's fault entirely. It is a pure miracle that we didn't lose a crewful of good people...they shouldn't be here. From the story I got from Nick, they should all be dead, they pushed the P3's limits that day and even wrote pages in the "limit book" that weren't there before. Also, as for the inspection of the aircraft, I don't hold any hostility for the Chinese inspecting our aircraft...we did the same thing in September, 1976 with a certain russian MiG 25 that was flown into Japan by Russian pilot Viktor Belencko (sp). We gave it back to the Russians alright...in boxes...after we blueprinted the aircraft! Google that one...or buy the book, "The final escape of Viktor Belenko"....good read.

Podunk

/ JD Making Tractors In China #30  
Podunk,
Yep your right! I used poor wording. I read a lot about the pilot at the time, the folks up front did an outstanding job! One difference with Viktor was that he landed voluntarily! Ah, the good ole days of the cold war!
By the way I love your signature/saying the the bottom of your posts!

Sorry for the foray into world politics, let's get back to tractors!