Looks Like I Need a Tractor

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #1  

Mike058

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE
I just bought five acres on Key Peninsula in Washington state. If you want to look it up on a map, look for Home, Washington. It straddles a ridge and runs east to west. The east end (about 2.5 acres) has a slope of 12'/100' and is thick with huckleberry and silal bushes. Based on the size of the firs, it was probably logged about 50-60 years ago. On top of the ridge we've cleared out a little over 1/2 acre for a barn and triple wide manufactured home. The west end is mostly grass, trees and blackberry's where the sun shines. Plan on putting some goats over there eventually.

The septic drain field is going on the east end where the huckleberry's are. I want to clear the brush before I have someone dig to put in the field and tank. It's going to take a long time, and time's money. I have to roughly level the area for the barn. It's mostly level, but I've learned over the years that there's a heck of a lot of dirt in a "little" pile.

We don't want a lot of steps up into the house, so the pad's going to have to be a foot or two below grade. That sounds like something I could do myself. After the house is in, it has to back filled.

The clearing process left me with a small fortune in lumber (well a small fortune for me-about 15 logs plus some older ones that I found on the property) The excavator operator bucked the trees into 20' lengths. I didn't actually measure, but that's what they look like. It's probably whatever a standard length to fit on a truck is. Anyway, I'm not looking to pick the monsters up and move them around, just lift them up enough so I can cut them into more manageable lengths that I can move around.

I want to cut some trails, make some clearings and just generally clean up that eastern side. Everything is trying to choke everything else to death and I'm looking to be the new sheriff in town.

The property lines are choked up with the silal and huckleberrys so I want to mow a path before I have it surveyed. They charge like $1200 a day if they have to do it themselves.

I know the guys that have HST think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm leaning towards something with a shuttle type reverse. But I could lean back at any time.

I was thinking 25-30 HP, 4WD, FEL with a grapple on a budget of 15,600 (17,000 after tax around here). If I have to, I can wait on the mower until later. (Give me something to look forward to). It'd be a big plus if it could fit into a 7 x 14 enclosed cargo trailer, then I could save on shipping.

I'd like suggestions as to brands to check out, and things to mull over while I decide. I've really been impressed by the helpfulness of the group, but then I think shiny new pennies are impressive too.:)

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #2  
Welcome to TBN. Maybe rent a backhoe for the weekend, you could level some ground, clear around the perimeter of your property, and decide if the tractor you want to buy should come with a backhoe, loader or not. Good luck with your search.

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #3  
I agree, either rent out or contract out the hard stuff, and then buy something sized for every day work.

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #4  
Everyday work includes the loader - don't buy anything without one. The excavator suggestion is a good one. You'll get more done in a weekend with that than a tractor could do in two weekends. Remember, it's only 5 acres so don't go too big...

As for brand, start with whatever dealers you have in a reasonable driving distance. If the dealer is good and reputable, check out his machines. Otherwise, drive away. The color isn't so important as the service will be down the road...

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #5  
Mike058 said:
I was thinking 25-30 HP, 4WD, FEL with a grapple on a budget of 15,600 (17,000 after tax around here). If I have to, I can wait on the mower until later. (Give me something to look forward to). It'd be a big plus if it could fit into a 7 x 14 enclosed cargo trailer, then I could save on shipping.

I'd like suggestions as to brands to check out, and things to mull over while I decide. I've really been impressed by the helpfulness of the group, but then I think shiny new pennies are impressive too.:)

With your budget you have a lot of choices. The constaint I'd be concerned about is the length of your trailer, especially with an FEL/bucket on your tractor.

My little Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL would fit OK in that trailer, but it's only 21 hp engine/17 hp pto. I paid $12600 for it in May05. I have 10 acres of flat pasture land and the 7510 is OK for mowing and hauling chores.

For more hp you'd need to step up to one of the larger B-series tractors if you went with Kubota.

But Botas are fairly lightweight machines so you might want to check out other brands. Mahindra and Branson have heavier modes in the 25hp range that would fit into your budget. Also check out JD and New Holland.

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #6  
I cleared a lot of land similar to what you are describing with a 21 hp tractor with bush hog and grapple. Mine was a Kioti CK20 and you could get the tractor, loader, grapple, QA adapter and bush hog for less than 15K. Shop around you'll see there are quite a few very good tractors that will meet your needs.

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #7  
You also need to see if your trailer will handle the weight of a tractor. Having just rented a tractor to do some work, and looking at cost of new tractor. I can get all the work done that I need to renting for about $2k vs $20k buying new. Granted it won't be convenient, but for $18K, I can put up with the need for a little planning. Also, I was considering a 25hp tractor, the tractor I rented was rated at 32hp, I thought it was underpowered for what I was trying to do. Unless you have some experiance, I would try to rent a tractor to get an idea on what size you might actually need, maybe even make a point to rent different machines/different sizes. None of the dealers will let me take home a tractor to try out, so renting is my only option to try out different tractors, before plunking down my hard earned cash. :(

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #8  
I'd look to the lower end of your size if you want it to fit into an enclosed 14' cargo trailer.. many of us with the CUT's have 16 to 20' trailers.

A 20-25 hp tractor should suit your acerage needs fine. If you plan on doing lots of loader work.. I agree that shuttle or HST will be better than gear.

If you can swing the extra 700-800$.. go ahead and get a mower with the tractor.. sounds like mowing will be a prime need when you clear for surveying or for dirtwork.. etc. If you hit 25hp.. you should be able to handle a light to medium duty 5' mower.. In the tall stuff just go slower or take 3/4 width bites. or.. get a 4' mower and go at it full speed. Me personally.. i'd try to stay with a 5' mower.. etc..

Also.. you'll want foldable rops for that enclosed trailer.... and may have to upgrade the cargo ramps that normally come with an enclosed trailer to make sure it and the floor will handle a large SCUT/smaller CUT's weight.. etc.

good luck.

Soundguy

Mike058 said:
I just bought five acres on Key Peninsula in Washington state. If you want to look it up on a map, look for Home, Washington. It straddles a ridge and runs east to west. The east end (about 2.5 acres) has a slope of 12'/100' and is thick with huckleberry and silal bushes. Based on the size of the firs, it was probably logged about 50-60 years ago. On top of the ridge we've cleared out a little over 1/2 acre for a barn and triple wide manufactured home. The west end is mostly grass, trees and blackberry's where the sun shines. Plan on putting some goats over there eventually.

The septic drain field is going on the east end where the huckleberry's are. I want to clear the brush before I have someone dig to put in the field and tank. It's going to take a long time, and time's money. I have to roughly level the area for the barn. It's mostly level, but I've learned over the years that there's a heck of a lot of dirt in a "little" pile.

We don't want a lot of steps up into the house, so the pad's going to have to be a foot or two below grade. That sounds like something I could do myself. After the house is in, it has to back filled.

The clearing process left me with a small fortune in lumber (well a small fortune for me-about 15 logs plus some older ones that I found on the property) The excavator operator bucked the trees into 20' lengths. I didn't actually measure, but that's what they look like. It's probably whatever a standard length to fit on a truck is. Anyway, I'm not looking to pick the monsters up and move them around, just lift them up enough so I can cut them into more manageable lengths that I can move around.

I want to cut some trails, make some clearings and just generally clean up that eastern side. Everything is trying to choke everything else to death and I'm looking to be the new sheriff in town.

The property lines are choked up with the silal and huckleberrys so I want to mow a path before I have it surveyed. They charge like $1200 a day if they have to do it themselves.

I know the guys that have HST think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm leaning towards something with a shuttle type reverse. But I could lean back at any time.

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor #9  
Mike058 ,
Welcome to TBN, the home of the best people in the world for helping you spend your hard earned money.
David from jax

/ Looks Like I Need a Tractor
Thanks everybody. Lots of good advice that I can use.