Replacing a B7100 Kubota?

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #1  

bobm39

Currently have a Kubota B7100 with about 1700 hours. The mower deck has developed stress cracks that I have repaired with welds but really need to replace the whole mower or at least a new shell. My dilema is spending about $2500.00 for a new mower vs about $1500.00 for a new shell or just replace the tractor and mower. I'm leaning towards a new tractor and mower but not sure what models I should be looking at. I have narrowed my brands to Kubota, John Deere and New Holland as they each have a dealer within 20 miles of me.

What current models of Kubota, JD or NH would be comparable in performance as the B7100? I'm sure that since my B7100 is approx 20 yrs old most all will have more features but overall I don't want to buy one that will produce less performance.

Thanks.

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #2  
When I sold mine, I got 4500 for it on trade for a DX29, which seemed huge at the time and just right now. Look at how much you are willing to invest and then figure out the biggest, strongest tractor you think you'll need among the 3 stores and get the next size larger. :)

In the Kubota line, I would think any of the B series would be close to what you have, with the 7800 or 3030 being the most common. The L's are bigger, then the M's and so on, more or less. There is also the small BX series if you don't need a lot of ground clearance or don't have a need to look like a small ag tractor.

CNH has "classes" of their machines. The DX29 (TC29 in New Holland stores) series is class II, with the class I machines having a smaller numerical designation.

JD's model numbering system seems to change about every other week or so, but something with a first digit of 2 should fit. I think the second digit indicates a secondary chassis description, while the last 2 may be horsepower or at least some indication of engine size.

You're about to have a lot of fun and it can get frustrating, but remember that they're all good and let the dealer experience be a big part of your decision.

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #3  
You didn't say wheather you have a hydro or not but I know for sure that power steering will be nice.
The B-7310 is currently the exact replacement and then you have the 7510 at 21 horsepower and the 7610 going up to 24 horsepower.
The new models that are going to be out in the spring will have three ranges in the hydro a major performance plus as well as power steering.

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #4  
With the hours you have on your tractor seriously consider replacing or repairing the deck. Repairs could be done by a welder and may be quite a bit cheaper than you think. :D :D

If you do more than just mow then it may be a different matter.:D

It makes a great mowing machine!:D

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota?
Thanks for the replies.

The tractor is a hydro, it is a B7100 HST. Hours are actually closer to 1500 than the 1700 originaly posted. The serial # is 66400, from looking at some used B7100 postings it may be newer that I thought by a few years.

I am going to check with a machine shop on how much to do a better repair than what I already did on the deck. Mine was a quick repair so I could get back to mowing.

I'm still leaning toward trade or sell and upgrade to another tractor.

This has been a nice tractor, the only one I have ever owned. I do not like that the cooling system does not have a water pump. On hot days when mowing I will stop and blow the grass and dust from the radiator. Even then I get overflow and will need to stop, cooldown and refill the coolant. Also power steering would be nice.

A lot will depend on what resale value or trade in value I can get vs repair/replace the mower.

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #6  
In the spring the new models will be out but there are some bargins out there now.

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #7  
FWIW, mine was a very early B, pre ROPS, no mower, with FEL, gear model. It had been run hard and put away wet many times before I got it. When it came time to replace it, the Mahindra dealer offered 3300 while the Case/Kubota/Cadet guy offered 4500, and that on an A-plan, minimal profit sale for him. I think my B was from the early '70's. The guy who picked it up for the dealership thought it might be a gray market tractor due to the paint color of the blue/gray sections being different than the others he had seen.

I'm going to guess that moving up to a new machine will dent your checkbook by at least $8 -10K. If mowing is your only use, buy a new deck and save the money for other things.

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #8  
My dealer once had a B7100 traded in with almost 10,000 hours on the original motor. WOW! (He did say it looked like it had 10,000 hours.) If it suits your needs/desires, I would just fix the deck better, otherwise you have an excuse to get a new one!

/ Replacing a B7100 Kubota? #9  
For what it might be worth, my Father always told me to drill a small hole at the end of a stress crack to stop it from spreading. If you clean the cracks and prepare the metal for welding really well, they usually mig weld up with no problem. I'd say, mig it and count yourself lucky to have a b7100.