Sub-compact research

/ Sub-compact research #1  

griffedi

I need lots of advice. I currently have an MF35 w/field mower, bush-hog and small scoop used mainly for field mowing about 7 acres gently sloped(sometimes bush-hogged when I let it go too long). Then I have a craftsman rider for mower 1.5 acre yard. I also have about 16 acres wooded but all I do there is occasionally drag out a fallen tree( though there are a couple large mounds of dirt I would like to disperse).

I am considering getting rid of both in favor of a multi-purpose sub-compact.

I would like to have a tractor small enough to mow my yard(with decent turning radius for getting around trees and such), I think I could make good use of a FEL as well. Also I am thinking that by making the switch, if I get HST, my wife would be able to help out with field mowing.

I like the idea of small but strong but . Suggestions???

/ Sub-compact research #2  
I don't think you'll be happy with a subcompact tractor...not in the long term.
For that acreage, I wouldn't go smaller then a Deere 790 or 3120, New Holland TC-30 or Kubota B7800.

/ Sub-compact research #3  
griffedi:

Welcome to TBN :D! I agree with Roy, but if mowing is your primary task I would look at lighter tractors. JD's and NH's in the midframe size tractors are relatively heavy, but for FEL and dirt engaging tasks they are more effective IMHO. I would keep the rider and go with a heavier tractor. I am happy with the performance of my
"29" :), and use it to acccomplish tasks similar to yours (except "fine" mowing). Good luck on your research and ultimate acquisition. This can be a "fun" time in the process :). Keep the posts coming and remember that the readership of TBN loves to spend everyone else's money :cool: and there are a lot of HP junkies in TBNland :eek:. Jay

/ Sub-compact research #4  
I have a BX 24 and about the same area and landscape...I am happy with the utility of the sub... drop the bucket and backhoe and you have a large mid mount grass cutter... with the semi-finished blade, my rural grass cutting around the house is fine. It works great in the field as long as I don't let it grow up over 4 or 5 inches. I do now and then use a small push mower to get up real close object like the air unit etc...mainly because I hate to use a weedeater.:D

/ Sub-compact research #5  
griffedi said:
I need lots of advice. I currently have an MF35 w/field mower, bush-hog and small scoop used mainly for field mowing about 7 acres gently sloped(sometimes bush-hogged when I let it go too long). Then I have a craftsman rider for mower 1.5 acre yard. I also have about 16 acres wooded but all I do there is occasionally drag out a fallen tree( though there are a couple large mounds of dirt I would like to disperse).

I would like to have a tractor small enough to mow my yard(with decent turning radius for getting around trees and such), I think I could make good use of a FEL as well. Also I am thinking that by making the switch, if I get HST, my wife would be able to help out with field mowing.

I have a 21-hp (engine) Kubota B7510HST with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket) that I bought new in May05 for $12,600 plus tax (10% down, 0% for 36 months).

It's a small tractor (1900 lb with the FEL) and has a fairly short turning radius. Many landscapers use Kubota B-series tractors.

I use it on my 10-acre spread (flat pasture land). I mow the weeds with a 4-ft King Kutter brush hog.

You can get a mid-mount mower for the 7510 for $3-4K more. My 7510 has ag tires, but turf tires are available for lawn mowing.

For heavier work (discing, etc) I bought a 1964 MF-135 diesel in July06.

/ Sub-compact research #6  
griffedi said:
I also have about 16 acres wooded but all I do there is occasionally drag out a fallen tree( though there are a couple large mounds of dirt I would like to disperse).
This is the reason I would not be happy with a SCUT, not enough ground clearance.:p

/ Sub-compact research #7  
griffedi said:

If you have children, there is another reason to keep your little mower...if they are old enough, they can use it to mow the lawn...giving you more free time with the tractor...:D

Last edited:
   / Sub-compact research #9  
I am a sub-compact fan, but I don't think you would be happy with one for the reasons cited above. I hate to tell you this, but you do need two machines. The lawn mowing you do sounds a bit tight and small for a larger compact, and the 7 acres of field and 16 of woods cries out for at least a machine the size that Roy Jackson mentioned. If all you do is mow the 7 acres and occasional work in the woods, don't rule out a used machine. It does not sound like you put many hours on the machine doing that type of work.
Will

/ Sub-compact research
I love all of the advice I have been seeing on here so quickly.

Let me tweak my questions. If I keep my MF35 for the dragging logs and such heavy stuff, where should I go for mowing the 7 or so acres and optionally pushing a little dirt once or twice a year(without having to size up to do it)? The very first year I was here I tried mowing the field with the Craftsman rider 42" and that is a bear.

As far as the reference to saving the rider for the Kids- Mine are grown and out I am constantly recalculating when I can retire. Still a while I'm afraid.