Scammer really need to try harder...

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #21  
Bird said:
Don, I don't know whether there could be any actual liability or not. But unfortunately, almost anyone can sue anyone else for anything. And if you're sued, even when you win, you'll probably be out quite a bit of money. So we all take all reasonable (and sometimes even unreasonable:D ) steps to avoid lawsuits. Of course in this case, I don't think prohibiting links to eBay and Craig's List is unreasonable.

I just wish they'd add it to the FAQ list...:rolleyes:

It would have saved me the embarrassment of contacting you to eliminate my post...:D

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #22  
It would have saved me the embarrassment of contacting you to eliminate my post...

Paul, there was certainly nothing to be embarrassed about. I agree it would be nice it if were in the printed rules, but even it isn't . . . hey, we're better than the law, right?

You know the old saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". The actual law, I'm sure, is different in different states. In Texas it was a statute that said "A mistake of law is no defense." So you can get penalized (fined, jailed, or whatever) for violating a law you had no idea existed.

And on Tractorbynet, there's NO PENALTY!:D :D No harm; no foul.;)

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #23  
A selling scam also!!!! I was trying to sell my old McKormic 1952 model a while back, got a bite right away. The fellow said he will send me a check for $6000.00. The tractor was posted at $2500.00. OH he said, that is OK because the balance would be for shipping it to the UK. OH I said and thought that was OK. I got the check a few days later, looked very official, so I deposited it to see if it will clear. I also confirmed to the agent that the cheques has arrived. Well you would know it. He said "OK, now you have the cheque, just send a cheque for $3500.00 to this agent I have in New York". I said of course I will as soon as your cheque clears. No no he said, you need to send it right away, he is waiting for it. I said no way, only once the check you sent clears will I send anybody any money. Well then for a few days I got threats everyday. I still did not send any money, and thanks God! The cheque bounced. When I reported this to RCMP they advised me that this scam was going on for many months. They took the fellows email and I have no idea if they followed up. He called himself Benson, but I am certain that was phony!
Yes, Beware of scams not only when you sell but when you buy.

Attachments

• Cashier's cheque.jpg
    Cashier's cheque.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 175
  • Tractor McCormick2.jpg
    Tractor McCormick2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 161
   / Scammer really need to try harder... #24  
I kind of like his extra .68 cents he added on. Maybe that was to cover your postage expense or something?

:D

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #25  
leslie428 said:
A selling scam also!!!! I was trying to sell my old McKormic 1952 model a while back, got a bite right away. The fellow said he will send me a check for $6000.00. The tractor was posted at $2500.00. OH he said, that is OK because the balance would be for shipping it to the UK. OH I said and thought that was OK. I got the check a few days later, looked very official, so I deposited it to see if it will clear. I also confirmed to the agent that the cheques has arrived. Well you would know it. He said "OK, now you have the cheque, just send a cheque for $3500.00 to this agent I have in New York". I said of course I will as soon as your cheque clears. No no he said, you need to send it right away, he is waiting for it. I said no way, only once the check you sent clears will I send anybody any money. Well then for a few days I got threats everyday. I still did not send any money, and thanks God! The cheque bounced. When I reported this to RCMP they advised me that this scam was going on for many months. They took the fellows email and I have no idea if they followed up. He called himself Benson, but I am certain that was phony!
Yes, Beware of scams not only when you sell but when you buy.

What would have made this story even more funny is if you had said you mailed him back 3500.00 in monopoly money:D

Thanks for sharing.

Podunk

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #26  
Since they want you to wire money to them, why not have them wire money to you first. See where that goes.

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #27  
If you want to have some fun with the scammers. I have had several of those i'm interest in your product. I need to know the current price and name adress and phone to send the check to to cover the item and shipping.
Well usually I make a name of some sort (Stu Pidasole) or something and then give them the local adress for the FBI with phone number. Have no idea what happens from there but hopefully they really send the check to the fbi and they look into it.

/ Scammer really need to try harder... #28  
Hmmm

That gives me some ideas :)