another city boy

/ another city boy #1  

JCGA

hey everybody,
i have 3 acres[2.5 woods and the rest house and yard]. i hace a JD lx277 that has been good to me but i want a real tractor. i know in reality i don't reallt need one but i would still love to have one with a diesel, rear PTO, etc. so here is the question. i have done my research and test drives and want to know everyones opinion. which tractor would i be happiest with? JD2305,KUBOTA BX2350, or NEW HOLLAND TZ25. i would like this tractor to take the place of my 277 in the mowing even though i know it is a bit of an overkill. in the future i would like to buy a FEL and a tiller for it also. one more question. would i be happy with a rear mower on this small of a yard. 48" would be what i would use. i like the thought of easy maintenance with this set up[sharpening blades, keeping the unit clean, etc.] thanks for any help. jc

/ another city boy #2  
You will have to decide which brand and dealer you like best. If its in your budget, get the loader and mower with the tractor. You will bet a better deal that way. If you have alot of trees, you may not like a RFM. Plus 48" is too small. Welcome and I'm sure you'll get lots of advice. JC

/ another city boy #3  
I am prejudiced for the kubota and won't get into the details as to why (go to the kubota forum for that!), but the BX2350 is small enough to do everything really well, on a small scale. In my opinion the BX is in a league of it's own.

As an added benefit, now that it's deer hunting season again and you're out in the woods you'll already wearing kubota blaze orange ;)

get it with the FEL

/ another city boy #4  
JC, welcome!

We have alot in common. I'm on 3 acres and felt I could barely justify a tractor. We only had a half acre cleared for the house when we bought the tractor. Since then, the tractor has broadened our "vision" :) :rolleyes: :)

We just finished clearing out another acre so I have a place to play. So be careful, a tractor will change your viewpoint too!

/ another city boy
thanks a lot for the replys. maybe i should take another look at the KUBOTA. the first time i looked at it it seemed about the same size as what i already have but with a diesel engine. i went and looked at the JD 2305 again today and wished the seat went back about another 2 inches. the NEW HOLLAND TZ25 got a couple of bad remarks on another forum but we all have our likes and dislikes. thanks again everyone. Deer season huh? makes sense!

/ another city boy #6  
JCGA said:
hey everybody,
i have 3 acres[2.5 woods and the rest house and yard]. i hace a JD lx277 that has been good to me but i want a real tractor. i know in reality i don't reallt need one but
1* i would still love to have one with a diesel, rear PTO, etc.
so here is the question. i have done my research and test drives and want to know everyones opinion. which tractor would i be happiest with? 2*JD2305,KUBOTA BX2350, or NEW HOLLAND TZ25.
3* in the future i would like to buy a FEL and a tiller for it also.
4* one more question. would i be happy with a rear mower on this small of a yard. 48" would be what i would use.
5* i like the thought of easy maintenance with this set up[sharpening blades, keeping the unit clean, etc.] thanks for any help. jc
1*I just bought 2 Kubota BX1500s to cover this.
2*For me I like MY Kubota BX 23
3*The BX23 FEL has done a lot of work for me.
4*The main problem is it takes more room to maneuver a rear mower and you have to watch that you don't swing it into things or back it into something.
5*But I would not like it sticking out behind the tractor That's why I prefer the MMM as it's underneath and out of the way.
I Have a 60" MMM on the BX 23 and A 48'' MMM for the BX1500 tractors.
I also purchased a 48" BX1500 tiller.

/ another city boy #7  
JCGA said:
thanks a lot for the replys. maybe i should take another look at the KUBOTA.
1* the first time i looked at the KUBOTA it seemed about the same size as what i already have but with a diesel engine.

!
1*Strange you should say that because every time I drive by and look at the JD 2305 I swear it looks A lot smaller than my Kubota BX23.
The reality of the matter is the BX2350 and the JD 2305 are both the same size.
As for the lx 277 it's a much smaller lawn tractor compared to the much bigger BX23 or bx2350 sub compact.
MY CC GT2554 Garden tractor is probably bigger than your JD Lx277 lawn tractor and MY BX 23 is a lot bigger than my CC.
Looks can be deceiving the only way to tell for sure is compare the specs for the dimensions in the literature. for each tractor

/ another city boy #8  
I replaced a fairly new "throw away" Huskavarna lawn tractor a few years ago because I was tired of bending blades and replacing broken parts. Bought a used Kubota TG1860 Lawn/Garden tractor. What a difference!! I don't bother picking up branches anymore.... just grind 'em up, keep on going. The quality of the build is amazing. I would have bought a BX2350 at the time, but have plans for a larger compact tractor, soon to come.... Colored orange, of course. :D

MMM (mid mount mower) will cause less frustration trimming around the flowerbeds. The BX mower deck unhooks in a flash, the wheels pivot (all four) and you just slide it sideways, out from under the tractor. Piece of cake.

oh, and the diesel?.... quiet, silky smooth, efficient, gobs of torque.... just doesn't get any better.

/ another city boy
sounds like the Kubota is a good machine. yall have me wanting to go and take another look and ride. i like the comment about the diesel being smooth also. the JD 2305 i have looked at[only one i have found] has the FEL and a BACKHOE attached so maybe that is why it looks bigger to me. oh well, we dont have a Kubota dealer in my city so ill have to visit one this weekend maybe. thanks for the feedback. it is appreciated.

/ another city boy #10  
I've had a New Holland TC21D, which I used for mowing 7 acres, I had a 60'' Mid Mount Mower, don't go with 48" it's too small and you'll be sorry later. As mentioned by someone else, The Rear mower adds length to the tractor and could cause some grief around the house, shrubs, and trees. I understand your comments about the ease of the Rear mower, but it sounds from your original post that the Mid Mount Mower will suit your needs better. I also had a Front End Loader that I used constantly, and a rear blade that I used for snow. All worked fine and the tractor did a good job for everything I ask of it. The New Holland 25 seems like it would be plenty powerful enough, they have nice ergonomics. I now have a Kubota and like very much also. You won't go wrong with either New Holland, Kubota, or John Deere. Find the one that fits you best, and the dealer that will be the best to work with and you'll be happy with any of the three.